Q-gainals order email response

Last week we wondered about Q-finals and how the order was determined. Here's what heard from the folks back in Indy...

"Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Drum Corps International and the procedure of how corps performance order is determined for Quarterfinals. We have received many of your emails in regards to this question, and are happy to share this information with you. Each year at the annual meeting, corps directors develop, amend, and approve the format that will be used for determining the appearance order of corps. It typically changes every year, as the organization and the corps that comprise Drum Corps International, are always striving to improve our processes, procedures and rules that corps abide by. Last year, it was determined that for 2008, that scores would be averaged from Denver, Orlando, San Antonio, Atlanta and Allentown to determine performance order. For corps that didn't attend some of these shows, i.e. Denver, the last score received at the show closest to that weekend would be the score used.

I hope this answers your questions and concerns and again we thank you for being supporters and fans of Drum Corps International.

Kind Regards,"

My question is why would the corps agree to letting some other corps average in a "freebie"?

My question is why would the corps agree to letting some other corps average in a "freebie"?

Exactly- they didn't. Like you said- why would they?

Don't you love it?

Edited by drumelloboe

Guest xsabers

Makes no sense. How many times have posters on this board been reminded that you can't compare scores from different shows? Yet DCI seems to believe it is ok... Man, if that's the case, a corps could avoid the regional contest and instead perform at an Open Class show where they have no direct competition, and use the inflated score to boost their average.

Head to head baby. Maybe your sample is reduced, but so what?

first of i would direct you to the other topics about this, but remember DCI (and in this case specifically mentioned) it's the corps directors that voted, so blame them, not DCI itself. obviously they assumed it was fair, so i say see what happens and if it sucks hope/email the directors to change it again next year.

Makes no sense. How many times have posters on this board been reminded that you can't compare scores from different shows? Yet DCI seems to believe it is ok... Man, if that's the case, a corps could avoid the regional contest and instead perform at an Open Class show where they have no direct competition, and use the inflated score to boost their average. Head to head baby. Maybe your sample is reduced, but so what?

I agree that might be a strategy to use, but don't you think the members would be pretty unhappy about missing those regional contests. Each one of those regionals is like a mini finals week for them. I cannot see this happening but hey what do I know.

Edited by baja

Makes no sense. How many times have posters on this board been reminded that you can't compare scores from different shows? Yet DCI seems to believe it is ok... Man, if that's the case, a corps could avoid the regional contest and instead perform at an Open Class show where they have no direct competition, and use the inflated score to boost their average.

Head to head baby. Maybe your sample is reduced, but so what?

you still have that problem if you just take the scores from those shows listed. Some of the corps were in Orlando, others were in Denver the same weekend, some perform on Friday, some on Saturday in Allentown. Would you suggest to just take the scores from San Antonio and Atlanta (some evening, some afternoon, some both) to determine the line up?

And do keep in mind that DCI = the participating corps directors. If the directors decide this is a fair way to establish the line up, why should we be bothered?

Edited by DutchCousin