Traditional Grip

ajw

I've been trying to get my chops up on traditional and noticed that my left arm is kind of moving up/down as I turn away/into the drum. Is this good, bad, neither? Just trying to get an idea of how much arm movement should be involved in the stroke before I start teaching myself bad habits. Any advice is helpful. Thanks ahead of time.

In as few words as possible: Yes, pumping is bad. It can be appropiate at times but the majority of the time that is not proper technique. Focus on rotating your wrist more.

In as few words as possible: Yes, pumping is bad. It can be appropiate at times but the majority of the time that is not proper technique. Focus on rotating your wrist more.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks.

mmmm I'm gonna go ahead and say it depends - on whatre youre playing and how you/your instructor wants to approach it stylistically.

Arm motion isn't always bad, particularly in terms of volume and any visual addition. But of course it depends what youre playing. I take "arm pumping" and "arm motion" as two very different terms. The only context I can foreseeably allow arm "pumping" is when playing a fast roll, when its impractical to think your wrist can stroke it out. Where on something like 8s (below 130 bpm?) some arm "motion" is acceptable, and I'd even say encouraged, but thats just me. I'm gonna stop here b/c I'm getting lots of ideas on how this easily pertains to accent/tap control, etc etc.

It's all relative: to the notes youre playing, and how youre playing them.

Edited by 08Hawkeye

On the other hand, don't expend undue effort trying to keep your arms totaly motionless. That creates problems of its own. Just stay relaxed, and concentrate on rotating your wrist (as KiltieBD3 advises). The modest amount of arm movement that results as a by-product of your rotating forearm/wrist should be OK, as long as it doesn't become your primary means of moving the stick.

good luck,

Fred O.

On the other hand, don't expend undue effort trying to keep your arms totaly motionless. That creates problems of its own. Just stay relaxed, and concentrate on rotating your wrist (as KiltieBD3 advises). The modest amount of arm movement that results as a by-product of your rotating forearm/wrist should be OK, as long as it doesn't become your primary means of moving the stick.

good luck,

Fred O.

That makes sense. Thanks for the advice.