Guard Shoes

cka1022

So, this is my first time picking out shoes for a colorguard. There are so many, and I'm not sure which to go with. I definitely want them to be black, allow the students to point their feet, and also be durable (I want to use the same shoes every year, so that way some of the returning members won't always have to buy new shoes). Of course all the descriptions of the various shoes say they're wonderful...so if any of you can make suggestions as to what worked for you/what to avoid...that'd be great! We'll only be using these shoes for outdoor season.

Thanks!

Well there are a number of variables to consider: weather, type of marching/dancing done, leather or fake leather, cost. I have found that The Band Shoppe sells a variety of good shoes. I personally like the Mirage and the Stinger, both are resonably priced and hold up really well. The Impulse is also a really nice shoe. Being that I live and teach in the Western PA area, these shoes work best. If you are in an area that does not get much weather during the marching band area, then a split sole jazz shoe from Discount Dance Supply works well. You can get a really nice toe point because there is no sole to impede the point thru the arch of the foot.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

CAPEZIO's! Dance Sneaker or Dance boot. :-)

We use the Capezio Freedom shoe. It is neoprene top with elastic to give a tight fit. It does have padding in the sole which is a plus. My girls really like them, they are comfortable and do provide flexibility to pointe.

here is a picture

FREE1_4.jpg

Last year was the first year for them and I must say that they look great after being worn for a long marching season. The shoes we have used in the past never looked this good the second year. They are usually falling apart. The Freedom shoes show just a little bit of wear on the sole. Only one pair had wear on the neoprene between the heel and the ball of the foot, but it's because she has a tendency to walk on the outside edge of her feet.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I teach outdoor guard and I really like using Prowler shoes. They come in white, black, tan and they are less than $30.00. I've used them for four years now and all the girls say that they are more comfortable then their tennis shoes. The biggest plus for me is that they have a very agressive tread on the bottom which is in my opinion great for outdoor use. I don't have girls sliding on wet grass. But i guess it really depends on how you write routines, if you do a lot of spins i don't think these would work, but they do still let the girls point their toes. Check them out they are sold by most all band/color guard cataloges.

NO I'M NOT ON PROWLER'S PAY ROLL :smile:

Hi I teach outdoor guard and I really like using Prowler shoes. They come in white, black, tan and they are less than $30.00. I've used them for four years now and all the girls say that they are more comfortable then their tennis shoes. The biggest plus for me is that they have a very agressive tread on the bottom which is in my opinion great for outdoor use. I don't have girls sliding on wet grass. But i guess it really depends on how you write routines, if you do a lot of spins i don't think these would work, but they do still let the girls point their toes. Check them out they are sold by most all band/color guard cataloges.

NO I'M NOT ON PROWLER'S PAY ROLL :thumbup:

I'm not a big fan of the aesthetic quality of those shoes. You can buy some really nice Capezios for around $30/$35 dollars (of course you can spend much more also!), and the kids seem to really like the look better. Less complaining = Less headache for me!

Does anyone here know which brands come in wide widths at all? I have some girls and boys that need wide widths and can't seem to find any. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Go one size larger. I have wide feet too, and this is what I need to do (my foot length is a size 9, but I have to buy a size 10 shoe because of foot width).

i always got my kids the capezio canvas dance sneakers.. cheap and can be thrown in the washer.....

:tongue: Excellent sneakers, and reasonably priced too!