painting rifles

wvguard

I have a couple of rifles that have paint chipping off of them so the wood is showing, and they don't look nice anymore. Has anyone tried painting a rifle to make it look nicer? If so, what kind of paint do you use and do you paint the entire rifle or just where it is chipping? (Would you take off all the tape, or just paint where there is not tape?) Would this add a lot to the weight? Thanks!

We paint our rifles once during the fall season and once during the winter season. We remove all white tape, leaving the strapping tape, remove the bolt and the strap. we then use an interior latex white spray paint. I think we use a flat or satin finish.

The rifles do not get heavily coated, it doesn't need to be. We spray only the non-taped parts. A thin coating of paint is all it takes to make them look nice again. It doesn't add much weight if you don't apply too much.

We let them dry overnight and then they re-tape over the strapping tape, put the bolt and strap back on and they are done.

We paint our rifles once during the fall season and once during the winter season. We remove all white tape, leaving the strapping tape, remove the bolt and the strap. we then use an interior latex white spray paint. I think we use a flat or satin finish.

The rifles do not get heavily coated, it doesn't need to be. We spray only the non-taped parts. A thin coating of paint is all it takes to make them look nice again. It doesn't add much weight if you don't apply too much.

We let them dry overnight and then they re-tape over the strapping tape, put the bolt and strap back on and they are done.

Do you sand them down first, or just paint them?

We just paint. We don't put enough paint on them to really weigh them down, and honestly, they get used to the added weight very quickly. If someone has a rifle that has been painted many times, we would probably sand it, but that usually isn't the case.

it's just enough paint to cover the exposed wood parts.

I agree with N Murphy; I painted a set of rifles for the winter season and used KILZ paint. Worked great! Spray paint would be easier though..