South African segment after BD

I paid $18 to see drum corps. I came to be entertained. I came to socialize with friends. I came to have a good time.

After that piece that was played, where I was literally forced to have to watch it (yeah--I could have walked out), I wondered whose decision that was to air that. It has NOTHING to do with being unsympathetic to the cause, or that one doesn't "care". It has everything to do with WHEN it was played. It was absolutely ridiculous. You could have thrown a wet blanket on me and gotten the same reaction. After the top 8 corps were done, ESPECIALLY AFTER SEEING PHANTOM'S SHOW FOR THE FIRST TIME, I was absolutely hyping in the theater.

And then this piece came on. As they say about comedy...it's all about the timing. And in MY mind, I didn't need to know a south African is raped every 27 seconds after seeing the Top 8 World Class drum and bugle corps kick my ###. Sorry...you can't convince me otherwise. As a matter of fact, their message was lost to my bewilderment about what I was actually watching. I kept thinking "Ohhh sooner or later it's going to show Frank Dorritee or someone from DCI talking about how awesome field bands are, and we'll get to see some show highlights." But noooo...more stats, more gloom, more suffering.

Not my cup of tea at an $18 per ticket DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS event.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am paying $18 to watch drum corps, not to get my reality confronted.

And people think Americans are callous, unfeeling, and indifferent to the plight of others around the World. I wonder why?

And people think Americans are callous, unfeeling, and indifferent to the plight of others around the World. I wonder why?

Agreed. Boy it really sucks to be reminded of the real world once in a while eh?

Here's a compromise for those that were so put out. Go here

http://www.fieldband.org.za/index.asp

sponsor a kid and then come back and ##### some more.

I got as much sympathy for kids as the next guy but I don't appectiate them throwing that stuff in my face after paying $18 bucks for a ticket.Its one thing if they would have showed it during intermission but they showed it while we were waiting for scores.I would have much preferred to hear more of the commentary.

Boo hiss DCI.

You must have missed the text on the screen which read "education replaces ignorance".

I paid $18 to see drum corps. I came to be entertained. I came to socialize with friends. I came to have a good time.

After that piece that was played, where I was literally forced to have to watch it (yeah--I could have walked out), I wondered whose decision that was to air that. It has NOTHING to do with being unsympathetic to the cause, or that one doesn't "care". It has everything to do with WHEN it was played. It was absolutely ridiculous. You could have thrown a wet blanket on me and gotten the same reaction. After the top 8 corps were done, ESPECIALLY AFTER SEEING PHANTOM'S SHOW FOR THE FIRST TIME, I was absolutely hyping in the theater.

And then this piece came on. As they say about comedy...it's all about the timing. And in MY mind, I didn't need to know a south African is raped every 27 seconds after seeing the Top 8 World Class drum and bugle corps kick my ###. Sorry...you can't convince me otherwise. As a matter of fact, their message was lost to my bewilderment about what I was actually watching. I kept thinking "Ohhh sooner or later it's going to show Frank Dorritee or someone from DCI talking about how awesome field bands are, and we'll get to see some show highlights." But noooo...more stats, more gloom, more suffering.

Thank you.I am glad to know that there are some folks out there that agree with me on this issue.

Simple minded people....poor you, you had to deal with some real life stuff for a few minutes. These kids have to deal with real life as they know it each day of their lives.

FYI - I was like you only thinking of myself and my life until I married a women from SA (Cape Town) and went to visit last year. As bad as it may ever get here, you have NO idea what it's like in the small towns in SA. Give them a break and like anything else if you don't want to lsiten or watch it is your choice to turn it off!

JVN

More suffering .. you have no clue.. Boy I wish I had a magic wand and zap you people and put you in their shoes. Griping about $18 bucks isn't it nice that you had that to spend.

It made me sad but also then I thought of how lucky I am to have what I have. Also made me go to the website to check it out..

I bet you all are the same people that honk the horn the second the light turns green and the car in front of you has not moved quite fast enough for you.. Selfish

Edited by MrFun

The problem with the piece is that it was too much depresso and not enough uplifting moments. They needed to ramp it up at the end to end it on a more positive note. And if this was to appeal to drum corps fans, they really needed to show the kids playing music, not just holding a trumpet walking down a dusty street. The graphics and the look were fantastic, just that the story telling was too flat. There really could've been more done in the editing room.

This opinion coming from an actual editor. :thumbup:

The problem with the piece is that it was too much depresso and not enough uplifting moments. They needed to ramp it up at the end to end it on a more positive note. And if this was to appeal to drum corps fans, they really needed to show the kids playing music, not just holding a trumpet walking down a dusty street. The graphics and the look were fantastic, just that the story telling was too flat. There really could've been more done in the editing room.

This opinion coming from an actual editor. :thumbup:

After going to the site. DCI should have used the other piece that is there it is better showing more of the kids and why it has changed their lives.. So I hope some of you that hated the spot still go to the site and check it out.