Bass Drums

Kansan

I can't see over the drum when I play 4 (28") or 5 (32") bass with alumvest carriers. (the rigid fiberglass ones). Now the newer Randall Mays carriers have the hooks on a lower position, but not low enough to see over.

A guy on drumlines.org suggested moving the hooks or using a 4-6"long clip to get the drum lower like the ones on this vest

http://www.wwbw.com/XL-Specialty-Percussio...r-i134578.music.

For me the clip thing did not work well (drum moves around and center of gravity was too low - back ouch!)

When doing dot drill , you just go to your spot. I sometimes sneek a peek with a little sideways action.

Parades or tracking you have to trust the guy in front of you is stepping out and you can get a periphel view with your bass drummers who can see. The guy in front will get the hint when you slam into his backside. I did discover when showtime came that I could see the plumes of the drummers in front of me.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just like to add that unless you are sprinting with a bass drum on, a person who gets bumped into by you will not get hurt that much. Do whatever you want, but I see problems with center of gravity, and I personally just don't like messing with something that isn't broke.

We have a old xl carrier shell that I think we can put bass drum carrier parts on. It is taller than our other carriers.

Has anyone looked at the Mapex Q Ball XL on the Jupiter web site? It looks like it would really form well to different body shapes.

I'm thinking of getting one carrier(body) and also ordering the parts hooks for snare, tenor and Bass. We can try it out and see if it's better than what we have.

The carriers we have are good, it's just the odd ball we have to be ready for.

Edited by Kansan

We may have to go to the old style strap system for the more robust members. (may also be the beginning of a plate line which would totally solve the problem)

Yeah, I was thinking if you use a Perl harness that connects the drum from the top of the harness using a strap, the drum will sit lower.

I can't see over mine (bass 3 - 22"). To me it just looks sloppy having the bass sit low on the players body...plus it puts my hands in a better playing position.

You get used to it and use your left to right relationship to keep you from running into anyone.

For instance in a Die 5 parade form if you guide a diagonal through Bass 3 and keep your relationship to the person to your left or right you should never run into the person in front of you. If it's a 4 man block just keep your spacing between left to right and use the person at your 45 to gauge your front to back.

In field shows you just need to know your spots and trust the others around you know their stuff given your head and body position.

I personally wouldn't rig it but if the player is going to freak then do what you have to. Good luck.

I would just like to add that unless you are sprinting with a bass drum on, a person who gets bumped into by you will not get hurt that much. Do whatever you want, but I see problems with center of gravity, and I personally just don't like messing with something that isn't broke.

Just so y'all know--I'm a very, very large man. If I bump into somebody without carrying a drum, there's a chance they'll get hurt--I know that from experience. I'm not going to put myself into a situation where I have an increased chance to run into things.

The chain worked fine to get the drum down to where I could see. The problem we had involved the carrier not fitting my torso worth a ####--the lower plate was several inches too high and I ended up with back cramps due to the weight of the drum not resting on my hips. The carriers may fit Jeff's skinny body well--they don't fit XXXL bodies worth a hoot.

The drum is lighter than the drums I carried before, so the weight, itself, isn't a problem. We just need to find a carrier that fits my old, fat body properly and I'll be able to carry the drum for as long as I can stand up.

So, who knows where to get an XXXL carrier?

What current harnesses do you have?

What current harnesses do you have?

Dynasty aluminum V-Bar. They looked to be the most adjustable on the market last year.

I do have an old XL carrier that we will experiment with. I appears to be taller than the V-Bar, not sure yet. It looks to have a bigger shoulder harness area as well.

Perhaps a taller harness would work better.