Bass Drums

Kansan

We were sizing one of our bass drums to our Bass Drummer and we discovered he could not see over the top of the drum while marching. (parade marching). He doesn't feel comfortable not being able to see straight ahead.

I'm going to the hardware store today to rig an extension between the carrier hooks and the ring bolts on the drum.

Is this the solution everyone else uses?

I was looking at Quaterfinals last night and noticed the bass drummers could not see over the drums and mostly marched sideways.

I did see some forward marching but I'm sure they were counting steps and were fairly confident they were not going to run into anything.

Also, does anyone know what kind of mounting system Blue Devils used for their spinning Bass Drums?

Edited by Kansan

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had trouble seeing over my bass drum and I'm 6'2''. You just have to be very attentive when you march. Pay attention left and right of you. I wouldn't recommend ghetto-rigging anything, it can turn out badly. :smile: I'm just saying, I never had many problems and I too couldn't see over my drum. Just one man's opinion.

I've had trouble seeing over my bass drum and I'm 6'2''. You just have to be very attentive when you march. Pay attention left and right of you. I wouldn't recommend ghetto-rigging anything, it can turn out badly. :smile: I'm just saying, I never had many problems and I too couldn't see over my drum. Just one man's opinion.

Do you just work it like a tail dragger airplane and weave a little to check frontal spacing.

I'm trying to think how it will work when we finally get a full Bass section.

Right now we could put the bass between or on the side of the two snares and he could guide off them.

88 BD had windows cut into the shell and covered with plexiglass, as I recall....but I don't know if you want to do that to your drums.

At least your guy doesn't play contra....THOSE poor ######## can't see jack squat except to their right most of the time!

Edited by 84BDsop

How many basses are you going to have?

I agree don't rig anything up. Its part of playing bottom bass.

When not playing he could put the harness over one shoulder, off to the side. Lots of bass lines walk around like this.

If I can't see where I'm going, I ain't carrying the drum. I refuse to put myself in any position where I can seriously damage myself and others because I can't see.

We'll rig something up, never fear. I don't care it's chain, rope, or bailing wire--we'll find some way to hang that sucker where I can see.

TAFL

If I can't see where I'm going, I ain't carrying the drum. I refuse to put myself in any position where I can seriously damage myself and others because I can't see.

We'll rig something up, never fear. I don't care it's chain, rope, or bailing wire--we'll find some way to hang that sucker where I can see.

TAFL

Picked up two 6" length of chain that should make things more adjustable. It will look pretty good and not "rigged".

Note: I tried the drum on and had no trouble see over the drum without the chain on. Different body type I guess.

We were sizing one of our bass drums to our Bass Drummer and we discovered he could not see over the top of the drum while marching. (parade marching). He doesn't feel comfortable not being able to see straight ahead.

I carried a 32" bass one year, and I'm definitely not a tall guy. Fwiw: I discovered that when I thought I was standing up straight, I was actually leaning back a little - attempting, I suppose, to keep from falling forward. Of course, it also made the drum ride up and kept me from being able to see forward. When I learned to stand up straight (though I felt like I was sticking my butt out and leaning forward at first), my sight lines improved considerably.

Good luck. I hope you find a method that works for your bass drummer.

Fred O.

I carried a 32" bass one year, and I'm definitely not a tall guy. Fwiw: I discovered that when I thought I was standing up straight, I was actually leaning back a little - attempting, I suppose, to keep from falling forward. Of course, it also made the drum ride up and kept me from being able to see forward. When I learned to stand up straight (though I felt like I was sticking my butt out and leaning forward at first), my sight lines improved considerably.

Good luck. I hope you find a method that works for your bass drummer.

Fred O.

From what I could see it's a body size and shape problem. The carriers we have are the Dynasty V bar carriers which can be adjusted for size which is why I picked those instead of just a solid vest carrier. From what I've observed, these carriers fit most people pretty well. The carriers we used to have would not fit and adult at all.

The other two drummers had no problems with fit.

We may have to go to the old style strap system for the more robust members. (may also be the beginning of a plate line which would totally solve the problem)

I'm 6'4" 235lbs and the V-bars fits pretty well on me but I don't play drums.

Edited by Kansan