Crowd Reaction to scores

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the way Brandt announced it. No "the", no embellishment, just "Blue Devils" without fanfare, knowing the the crowd would supply all the fanfare needed. He announced the corps, and got the hell out of the way. I can't imagine what it must have been like for those in the know, seeing that Phantom had come out on top, and and waiting to see the ensuing reaction.

Yeah, what fun it must have been. Where's my tellepoerter when I need it?

Wow... this post was removed because I said video websites could have copies searched for. WITH NO DETAILS GIVEN.... Lighten up DCP. DCI can remove internet copies OF SCORE REACTION if they decide it to be a problem.

I totally agree.

It never ceases to amaze me how some moderators on this board go so overboard on some violations of the sacred DCP "Policy," yet TOTALLY ignore other violations. Yep, I'm referring to the thread earlier this year that called - in the thread title, no less - for a certain judge to be fired. It that wasn't a violation of the policy prohibiting personal attacks, I don't know what is. Yet it remained an active thread, even after I and others reported it and asked that it be closed.

I'd really like an explanation of how a reference to a youtube video of Brandt Crocker announcing scores violates copyright laws. I understand the desire not to allow references to videos of performances, but this was not a performance of anyone's copyrighted material.

:tongue::smile: :smile:

I totally agree.

It never ceases to amaze me how some moderators on this board go so overboard on some violations of the sacred DCP "Policy," yet TOTALLY ignore other violations. Yep, I'm referring to the thread earlier this year that called - in the thread title, no less - for a certain judge to be fired. It that wasn't a violation of the policy prohibiting personal attacks, I don't know what is. Yet it remained an active thread, even after I and others reported it and asked that it be closed.

I'd really like an explanation of how a reference to a youtube video of Brandt Crocker announcing scores violates copyright laws. I understand the desire not to allow references to videos of performances, but this was not a performance of anyone's copyrighted material.

:tongue::smile: :smile:

What, DCI has the rights to the footage as it will be appearing on this year's DVDs.

Wrong. DCI owns the copyright to the fixed-form expression of this event. As I posted in another thread, copyright covers the expression, in some fixed form, of a performance or series of performances. So when you have DCI making audio/video recordings of an event, even what's happening during retreat, they own that event as it was expressed in that particular fixed form. So my guess is that anyone else trying to capture that same event in the same type of fixed form is violating DCI's copyright ownership. Not only that, but because DCI will be selling that fixed-form expression in the form of DVDs, CDs, etc., others capturing that same content in the same type of fixed form -- even the announcement of scores -- are competing with DCI's ability to do business.

As a result, any site like DCP that allows such items to be posted will also be in violation of DCI's copyright, and as such are susceptible to litigation, so that puts DCP in a position of having to make sure that doesn't happen on its site.

You may not agree with it, but frankly, I'm happy to have DCP here, and I don't want anything -- including copyright violations -- to endanger its existence.

This board has run its course for me. Many of the members are too immature for even casual conversation. The moderators choose when to remove conversation based on thier magic eight ball. All in all this is an internet board where discuss drum corps in thier underwear. Time for me to go. Goodbye Drum Corps Planet.

Edited by Begines

All in all this is an internet board where discuss drum corps in thier underwear.

I beg your pardon? I will have you know I am fully clothed, LOL! :tongue:

So if we cannot see videos on YouTube...where has the DCI Fan Network been through all of this? So many missed opportunities for us paying subscribers!