Yelling during quiet moments at Finals

So, Saturday night was great and all. One of the most entertaining marching activities I have been to in my entire life.

HOWEVER....

Is anyone else sick and tired of people yelling at quiet and delicate moments during Finals performances, either to make the recording, or to try and get their friend on the field's attention? Case in point: I was watching the Cavaliers, and it was during the the very quiet part near the middle. I was trying to wrap my mind around the fact that some of those kids paid large sums of money to march around quickly and cleanly but not play at all during large chunks of their show, when the kid sitting RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME decided to stand up and inform his friend on the field from thirty rows from the top at the Zero Yard line on side 2 that he was, in fact, the man, and it was their show, and noone was going to take it away from them this time, and he was awesome, and the Cavaliers were awesome, and their drums were the best.

Couldn't it have waited for after the show, or before the show? He did it twice during their show, nearly the same thing, that went on for like 10 seconds. I almost grabbed him and had him take a seat, but the thought of a lawsuit prevented me. I mean, it wasn't just this kid. Those of you that were there probably heard similar things. I understand things like the Vanguard yell, and I am Spartacus, and anything else that is designed or generally accepted, but is this now an accepted practice?

It ruined my experience of an otherwise enjoyable show. Any other thoughts on the matter?

FV

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I am over it and I'm tired of all of the copy-cat Vanguard-like yells by other corps' fans.

Edited by OICMR corps

This happens every year particularly at Saturday finals when people can get as goofy in the stands as they do on DCP, squirrels coming out of the woodwork in response to all the tension, and I've posted similar stuff in years gone by. Near me, it's been on the decrease in recent years. The only time I noticed it Saturday night and found it intrusive was from several locations during Crown's Claire du Lune.

What I have done in years past, and this works well, when somebody near me, within a few seats, does it, is shoot them a dirty look, and say "Please..." and then have a discussion with the person(s) at the end of that show. Never confrontational. Just "Let me suggest why that's not such a cool thing to do, and here's a better way to do it (between the numbers, not in the middle)." And you cite examples that in most cases, even young people have heard or heard of, such as "Crystalllllll!" And in every case, the person has responded well and cut it out.

You don't need ushers throwing people out. You need a reasonable, educational approach. At least as a first try. It often works well.

Edited by Peel Paint

Agree entirely -- to me it's very similar to the hangovers and purposely fracked notes during America -- individuals putting themselves above the group. Last year at the Rose Bowl, I had warned my wife (who's pretty much a newbie) about the screaming to get on the cd beforehand. Some guy behind us yelled out during the Bluecoats "right to remain silent" section ... and not something "clever" (please note sarcasm) like your guys, but just "AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH". After the show was over, my wife turned to me and said (loud enough for this joker to hear, "So I see what you mean about idiots who think they're more important than the corps yelling to get on the cd." That just about sums it up for me .....

(btw, shut this guy up for the rest of the evening pretty good, too :tongue:)

Actually, I m even completely sick of the Vanguard yell. Move on, and the copycats, you know who you are, give it up. If its stupid when the originator does it, it is even dumber for you to do it.

For what it's worth, I like the Vanguard yell and other forms of widespread audience participation such as Phantom's this year during raucous parts of the show. It gets people hyped, particularly the performers, much more so than polite applause at the end of each piece and a standing ovation only at the end.

Could I have yelled OJ, when the regiment drum major slit Phrygia's throat in Adagio?

Yes.

Did I?

No. I wasn't selfish enough to rob everyone in the stadium, the members, alums, and future fans of the activity for the next 30 years. Yelling during inappropriate moments is bull ####. These shows have magical moments in them that are meant to be felt and savored for all of us.

Actually, I m even completely sick of the Vanguard yell. Move on, and the copycats, you know who you are, give it up. If its stupid when the originator does it, it is even dumber for you to do it.

Agreed... it's annoying. Especially when a bunch of staff/volunteers sneak in right behind you before step-off and make a nuisance of themselves with yelling and excessive clapping. Yeah, we know you support your corps, but please let others enjoy their performance as well. As staff/volunteers and therefore supposedly being adults, I would expect a lot more maturity and consideration for others in the stands (as in paid ticket holders) than I saw during quarters/semis/finals.

Could I have yelled OJ, when the regiment drum major slit Phrygia's throat in Adagio?

Yes.

Honestly, that would have been hilarious, although completely inappropriate, but at the same time utterly hilarious.

The flurry of this "yelling" kind of started in 1980 at DCI Finals. After the "horns up" command just before Madison's closer started, soneone yells out, "Bring it back home." (referencing the DCI title back to Wisconsin)

Seems like each year after that there's always a "moment" of someone / some people yelling during a corps performance! Probably my "favorite" (and I do not really like it happening that much) was when Cadets did their Copland show one year, and during the "Rodeo" portion and the appropriate time, the crowd yells out "Beef!!...."