Archer Epler Musketeers Brass Reunion Saturday, September 13, 2008

Reilly Raiders - pretty strong showing. I don't get to see Reilly often, so I was impressed. Like Yankee Rebels they started off a little weak and then got their legs under them or got used to the conditions and pushed out a good show. Nice mix of Irish songs and it's nice to hear tenor drums - God! I can't remember the last time I heard tenor drums. One thing that always gets me is "My Romance". They play it well, no doubt, but I always think of it as a tender ballad and they play it like someone shouting, MY ROMANCE! DOESN'T NEED TO HAVE A MOON IN THE SKY..." knowing it's a ballad, but hearing it as a march seems incongruous, but that's just me. All in all a good performance. Good sound and balance between all the sections and the drums. Crowd loved them.

Joe Fontana and Jack Murray put on a show. What a show it was! Had a lot of people whooping and on their feet. Folks, this was some serious drumming. They had a little of everything some fancy stick work and drumming on snare. Some truly crazy drumming on a wild set up with lots of rapid movement and trick drumming - this got the crowd up off their seats. Then some really lush sounding rudimental drumming on some rope drums. That was impressive. Well done guys!

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights were a treat. You would have sworn it was 1970 again! In full uniform, they looked awesome. They put out a strong, clean sound. "National Emblem", a tough march, sounded as clean and fresh as ever. "America" was great, but my favorite was "Free Again" with the full exit, (I think?), Man, it was great. You did yourselves proud.

Thank you for taking your time to post this. I appreciate it. Many Tom Ashby sightings eh? :tongue: Joe and Jack are awesome; I'm very proud of them and the hard work they do to give us their great preformance. Also, you made me laugh out loud with your observations on Reilly's "shouting" of MY ROMANCE. I tend to agree with you. Hey, back then it was OK to do. Well, maybe brass instructor extraordinaire Bill Pusey will make changes; and also insert some lush, soft, pianissimo dynamics to it; at least until the last few bars?

Again, Marty, thanks!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE playing My Romance...& yes, the way WE play it too!!! When we arrived in Dublin, Ireland a few years back & the first tune we played was "My Romance"....wow, that feeling I'll never forget & instantly fell in love with Reilly's version, or shall I say Bob Adair's version of "My Romance"...this past Elks Weekend I expressed my opinion to Reilly's Team that "My Romance" should ALWAYS be in the book...it truly is a timeless piece as well as a timeless drum corps greatest hit!

Thanks for the review Marty!!! I wasn't there & your review was helpful.

& Jimmy, I'm so happy that Billy Pusey is now with Sac...I know their is a mutual love affair there & it makes all the sense in the world that he be on staff.

Cheers everybody!! :tongue:

Edited by CROSSMENCORPS30

"Full disclosure - I'm a printer and I understand that getting a book finished, such as the show's program, is a very big job for someone . . . However, when I see an obvious misspelling, it sticks out and bugs me. Sorry, I spend so much time proof reading, it's a habit now."

I know what you mean, Marty. I'm a retired English teacher, and the spelling and grammar errors on DCP are sometimes very hard to take! I'm so tempted to make corrections, but that would be terribly rude!

[/quote/

Hey John: You won't be rude. Give us grades too! :tongue:

Steve

I LOVE playing My Romance...& yes, the way WE play it too!!! When we arrived in Dublin, Ireland a few years back & the first tune we played was "My Romance"....wow, that feeling I'll never forget & instantly fell in love with Reilly's version, or shall I say Bob Adair's version of "My Romance"...this past Elks Weekend I expressed my opinion to Reilly's Team that "My Romance" should ALWAYS be in the book...it truly is a timeless piece as well as a timeless drum corps greatest hit!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way Reilly plays, "My Romance", they play the heck out of it and it always sounds great. Doesn't sound like a ballad, but it sounds great. Part of what makes it great is that you can hear and feel how much everyone enjoys playing it - the Reilly way!

OK, I have a few moments here, so if anyone is still interested they can read my take on the show.

As I said before, it was really hot and humid and the only breeze came from the wings of the four million bees buzzing in the stands.

The opening parade/tribute was pretty cool. Different corps, throughout the history of DCA represented by people in the respective uniforms trooping the stands.

National Anthem was well done by Archie and a few wearing various uniforms, over by the old starting line.

Taps, with echo, was particularly well done by Lloyd Spangler, (I think that's his last name), I've only met Lloyd a few times and played with him in the Marple Newtown Community Band last year. He's gotta be in his eighties and still plays great! Danny Fitzpatrick, what can you say? He was flawless, as usual as the echo.

I might get the order mixed up a little, because it was four days ago and did I mention...it was really hot!

Yankee Rebels - They were in full uniform and a nice size. Started out a little weak sounding, but good. It must have been a bear to play on the field in the weather conditions. They were not to be daunted, though. To my surprise, they got stronger and stronger as their show progressed. They found a groove and made it work. "Do You Know What it Means to Miss New Orleans?" was very nice and fit the weather, if you've ever been there.

They played a long show and it got better as they finished up, "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" and "Battle Hymn of the Republic", finished the show in classic style - a perfect ending - goosebumps.

Next I think was St. Lucy's. A little rough, to be honest with you. However, it was a respectable show and performed decently for a small group. Seems like a lot of people from other units were also in St. Lucy's and Tom Ashby was the Drum Major. I like the Auld Lang Syne ending.

Reilly Raiders - pretty strong showing. I don't get to see Reilly often, so I was impressed. Like Yankee Rebels they started off a little weak and then got their legs under them or got used to the conditions and pushed out a good show. Nice mix of Irish songs and it's nice to hear tenor drums - God! I can't remember the last time I heard tenor drums. One thing that always gets me is "My Romance". They play it well, no doubt, but I always think of it as a tender ballad and they play it like someone shouting, MY ROMANCE! DOESN'T NEED TO HAVE A MOON IN THE SKY..." knowing it's a ballad, but hearing it as a march seems incongruous, but that's just me. All in all a good performance. Good sound and balance between all the sections and the drums. Crowd loved them.

Joe Fontana and Jack Murray put on a show. What a show it was! Had a lot of people whooping and on their feet. Folks, this was some serious drumming. They had a little of everything some fancy stick work and drumming on snare. Some truly crazy drumming on a wild set up with lots of rapid movement and trick drumming - this got the crowd up off their seats. Then some really lush sounding rudimental drumming on some rope drums. That was impressive. Well done guys!

Wow! it's hard to remember all this stuff - I must be getting old or something.

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights were a treat. You would have sworn it was 1970 again! In full uniform, they looked awesome. They put out a strong, clean sound. "National Emblem", a tough march, sounded as clean and fresh as ever. "America" was great, but my favorite was "Free Again" with the full exit, (I think?), Man, it was great. You did yourselves proud.

Brooklyn United, also a little rough here and there. However, a crowd pleaser and I think Tom Ashby was doing some more drum majoring. They were a bit small, but carried everything off. "Those Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines" was pretty neat and "Under the Boardwalk" - you can tell they really enjoy playing it and we enjoyed listening.

St. Rita's Brassmen. What can I say? These people must be possessed by some rare drum corps demons! They had like 15 horns and a handful of drummers. Close your eyes and there's a forty man hornline and full drum line on the field. How do they do it?! They did a nice little comic/solo routine on baritone where the player, (I'm sorry I don't know his name), put his hat down and played a very nice "classic" drum corps solo, in a fine way and a few guys came out from the line and contributed to his hat. I find this corps amazing.

The Penncrest Marching Band came on the field. They didn't march, but kind of ambled onto the field and set up a semi circle. They played some tough stuff: "Spain", "Diego's Goodbye" and "Escorpian". It wasn't watered down either and they did a respectable job. Some nice trumpet solos and duets and nice percussion moments with a Spanish flavor. The flutes were in tune! How often do you hear that? Well... never at a drum corps show, but this was an exception. They were flanked by their guard which kind of looked like they were just practicing. Lots of drops and lots of sour expressions on their faces. Maybe it was the heat of the day, but even though they sounded good, I wish they had had a little more snap and military bearing.

Archie came on from the back field and paraded to the front in a parade block. They also started out a little weak, but seemed to get a feel for what it took to play in those conditions, because they too got stronger as the performance moved on. "Woodchopper's Ball" was fun as was, "South Rampart Street Parade" - that's a fun song, isn't it? Their show was fun and finished with "We Are the Musketeers"

Many of the corps, had people from other groups playing with them. It looked like some players did 2 or 3 different shows judging by the mix of uniforms - now there's some drum corps chops for ya!

I got to see old friends and meet some new ones. I had to juggle some things to attend and I'm glad I did because everyone gave their all to put on the best show they could and it was worth every minute in that heat, fighting the bees. Thanks guys! Oh, and my wife won the 50/50, so she ended up being glad she came to the show, too.

(To anyone in the area...after the show, I went with some friends to a place at Glen Mills road and Stoney Bank road in Glen Mills, called, "The Pig Out". It was really tasty!!!! and get this - they had free beer! as long as you drank it there, (2 beer limit, but I'm only good for 2 beers these days). It's a small, really out of the way place, but I think you would enjoy it.)

Towards the end of this little review my eight year old son started asking me unrelated questions, so I'm hoping none of his questions or my answers are mixed in the reviews.

Marty,

Nice review...... all in all i agree it was a terrific show. sorry i didn't catch up with you there i did really enjoy the start of the show, it brought back memories of the past from my youth....

I stand corrected on the "My Romance" comment.

I was asked, "Well, didn't you ever have a romance that you loved so much, you just wanted to shout about it?"

"Why, yes dear, I see what you mean." he replied meekly.

Carry on.

Edited by Martybucs

I stand corrected on the "My Romance" comment. I was asked, "Well, didn't you ever have a romance that you loved so much, you just wanted to shout about it?" "Why, yes dear, I see what you mean." he replied meekly. Carry on.

now Marty dont recant, you had me laughing! its cool, these newfangled online forums arent any good for those who take offense to everything, agreed?

Thank you for your candid review. You have no idea just how right you are. Let me digress, when Reilly has their corps banquet I play "My Romance" as sung by Carly Simon which is a really sweet version... and we all yell it very loudly! lol no we slow dance to it. Another cool version is John McLaughlin's My Romance which is a jazz acoustic guitar rendition. I use that for cocktails. ANYWAY... I was just thinking to myself, how do we keep the old stuff fresh? Now that we are bringing it back onto the field, what can we do with it? hmm, what if we started it as a ballad with a soloist and played it all pretty like before we you know, kickin it up to 120? Could that work? Im not sure but evil minds think alike and your thoughts were already thunk. If in the future you hear My Romance con amore followed by My Romance bellicoso you can feel responsible in part if you wish. incongruous huh?

Reilly was a little short on players for this show but we wanted to march on and off at least and not use music stands. Its a start.

and just because we yell "I Love You " back and forth to our spouses like a military command doesnt mean we have no romance. Im still laughing.

Edited by BeinGreen

. ANYWAY... I was just thinking to myself, how do we keep the old stuff fresh? Now that we are bringing it back onto the field, what can we do with it? hmm, what if we started it as a ballad with a soloist and played it all pretty like before we you know, kickin it up to 120? Could that work? Im not sure but evil minds think alike and your thoughts were already thunk. If in the future you hear My Romance con amore followed by My Romance bellicoso you can feel responsible in part if you wish.

OK OK Keepin it fresh is what its all about. I really LIKE your thinking on this. Have you run it by Pusey and the gang yet?

. ANYWAY... I was just thinking to myself, how do we keep the old stuff fresh? Now that we are bringing it back onto the field, what can we do with it? hmm, what if we started it as a ballad with a soloist and played it all pretty like before we you know, kickin it up to 120? Could that work? Im not sure but evil minds think alike and your thoughts were already thunk. If in the future you hear My Romance con amore followed by My Romance bellicoso you can feel responsible in part if you wish. OK OK Keepin it fresh is what its all about. I really LIKE your thinking on this. Have you run it by Pusey and the gang yet?

naw, he's real busy workin' for yous guys...

hahaha, *JOKE* !!!

I will run it by BP... I am the gang sort of

(glad somebody likes my thinking)

it was Marty's idea

:)