Poll: Does show design affect recruitment?

Does show design affect recruitment?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Does show design affect recruitment?

• Yes
    • No

Thank you for your input. I agree that in high school, a show that is deemed 'uncool' may turn off kids. Would it be fair to say you are in the category that a good time trumps show design, and perhaps competitiveness?

Competitiveness... To me on a personal level I always try to outperform my last performance. But there is no "I" in team.... In a team you need everyone to have that same mentality

With that if your team has a few too many wet blankets it RUINS any competitiveness within the team. If you have a group of 80 people and 12 of them have the attitude.. "This is crap, I could be home mowing my lawn drinking a beer. Fixing my car, using my boat..... Whaatever...." They can drag the entire group down with their poor attitudes. If I see that at an open house I split early and never look back. That's just me.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. Winnah Winnah..chicken dinnah......

I mean, I know, from talking to people who have marched in shows that have STRONG unique characters, Cabs and Kilties to name two, who have told me there are people, usually ex-alums, who say "If we would just lose the kick pants/kilts/spanish shows/Scottish shows we'd win (or win more often)." Eh....could be right, could be wrong....but to them I say, if you want to do <insert different style than THAT corps style> type of show, there are tons of corps around that march that style of show, go join that corps.

Personally, I'd really hate to see Cabs or Kilties or Renegades NOT march the type of shows they have become famous for. I think all three have shown the ability to be diverse and interesting and exciting within their themes.

Rock on.

Thank you for your input, LLMM.

Belief of size of fan bases for a typical style, I take it that you believe that show design can either grow or limit your recruitment base?

Todd You are really lucky to have such a tight knit group with the Renegades. You guys are really awesome you treated me like a veteran member, Above and beyond my wildest expectations. It was an honor to be allowed to help you guys out this past weekend. You guys really rekindled the drum corps back into me. I came home with a reformed love of the activity.

This is, and always has been the essense of the Renegades. Sure they put alot of thought, blood, sweat and tears to what's on the field, but if my 4 years performing in the corps and 6 years on the BOD for Renegades told me anything is your paragraph is exactly been the goal of the corps from the top down. Period. End of sentence.

Now of course, in ANY organization there'll be someone (even several someones) that doesn't like the direction the group is going in. Could be a drum corps, could be a bowling league or a church. You either can effect change from within - if the organization wants change they'll move with you, but if they don't, they won't - and unless they are an organization of mentally ######## adults, they probably have the mental capacity to know they are enjoying themselves in the organization and don't need any help from you. (The general "you" here) And rather than trying to get blood from a stone, it might be better to find an organization that more closely matches your beliefs.

Rock on.

Todd You are really lucky to have such a tight knit group with the Renegades. You guys are really awesome you treated me like a veteran member, Above and beyond my wildest expectations. It was an honor to be allowed to help you guys out this past weekend. You guys really rekindled the drum corps back into me. I came home with a reformed love of the activity.

Hey Thanks!

Sorry I must've missed this change after I responded and before MoMeesa saw and responded to this.

The Renegades are an awesome group of individuals. PM me sometime and we'll talk Renegades.

Honestly, I would like to keep this conversation general.

I didn't start this thread to discuss any particular goal of any particular corps. Hope you don't mind everyone, but there are already sooo many threads based for all the particular corps that I don't think it right.

Thanks!

Thank you for your input, LLMM.

Belief of size of fan bases for a typical style, I take it that you believe that show design can either grow or limit your recruitment base?

Well, I guess I could speak for others, but I will speak for myself. When deciding to march Renegades I took the following in consideration....pretty much in order of importance:

1. Schedule

2. Cost

3. Are the people there having a good time

4. Can I schelp my old ### all over the field again?

5. Is my ex husband marching?

6. What is their music?

I think "show execution" is more important to people than "show design". It doesn't matter if you're playing Jazz, Classical, or techno... if it looks and sounds like ####, people aren't going to want to march there. I've seen corps take some of my favorite music and shove their horns up their arses and fart the show out. Now, it's a show DESIGN that I would have liked, but the execution completely turned me off.

Hope this answers your question.

Well, I guess I could speak for others, but I will speak for myself. When deciding to march Renegades I took the following in consideration....pretty much in order of importance:

1. Schedule

2. Cost

3. Are the people there having a good time

4. Can I schelp my old ### all over the field again?

5. Is my ex husband marching?

6. What is their music?

I think "show execution" is more important to people than "show design". It doesn't matter if you're playing Jazz, Classical, or techno... if it looks and sounds like ####, people aren't going to want to march there. I've seen corps take some of my favorite music and shove their horns up their arses and fart the show out. Now, it's a show DESIGN that I would have liked, but the execution completely turned me off.

Hope this answers your question.

Yeah it does, thanks. There is obviously no right or wrong answer and I think these kinds of discussions can prove fruitful to everyone involved.

I truly appreciate your input, LLMM. Hope to see you around soon. :-)

unless they are an organization of mentally ######## adults, they probably have the mental capacity to know they are enjoying themselves in the organization and don't need any help from you. (The general "you" here) And rather than trying to get blood from a stone, it might be better to find an organization that more closely matches your beliefs.

Rock on.

They aren't enjoying themselves. I actually had someone.. NO NAME being mentioned an hour before going on at I&E we aren't doing this for fun. The Entire group jumped on this individual to put him straight that it is the PRIMARY reason we were there. If it isn't fun we wouldn't be there. The idea of going to DCA for us was to have fun and play our a--es off.

You can't avoid these folks. but if you have a group with too many in them It sucks the life out of it real fast. At one point I almost handed in my uniform after being there for 7 years. I'm a pretty mild mannered person. I can't take other peoples bad attitudes, it makes it almost pointless. I end up putting my frustration out the end of my Bell..

Edited by sonofjabba