"Classic" Corps Songs

Malaguena - Madison Scouts

Dotted quarter, dotted quarter, quarter quarter - every blue devils show :thumbup:

Bernstein (Candide, WSS) - Cadets

Fiddler - SCV

Ave Maria/Firebird - Phantom

The one that has been played (perhaps) more than any other piece of music is "Battle Hymn." You just don't hear it as much anymore.

I made reference to this in the "Malaguena" thread a week ago. Corpsreps.com had (I think) 108 listings for it.

Not sure if you're referring to Drum Corps as a whole or individual corps. If it's the latter the list can be almost as long as the former.

I'm talking about drum corps as a whole. Basically, the music that defines the activity, if that makes sense.

Just as the tunes define it currently or the overall arc of the activity?

There is such a variety now, I'm not sure if any collection of tunes defines the activity today. In the "old days" that was more the case, as corps kept selections for years. Now, you rarely hear anything from one year to the next.

I think your question is truly fascinating and well worthy of exploration. I'm just not entirely certain what's your angle.

The one that has been played (perhaps) more than any other piece of music is "Battle Hymn." You just don't hear it as much anymore.

I made reference to this in the "Malaguena" thread a week ago. Corpsreps.com had (I think) 108 listings for it.

Here's a few more, with number of mentions I saw on corpsreps:

Conquest (from Captain from Castille), 55 times

El Capitan 31 times

Summertime 98 times

America the Beautiful 47 times

Give My Regards to Broadway 30 times

When Johnny Comes Marching Home 49 times

You'll Never Walk Alone 43 times

Alexander's Ragtime Band 27 times

I Believe 28 times

Yankee Doodle Dandy 30 times

Russian Sailors Dance 33 times

Victory at Sea 30 times

New World Symphony (or the Largo) 48 times

Gershwin, Sousa, Cole Porter, Rodgers and Hammerstein, Bernstein, Tchaikovsky, Aaron Copland, Miklos Rosza, Irving Berlin, Alfred Newman all seem to come up frequently when you surf through corpreps as well.

Thanks everyone that posted. I guess I could've told you why I asked this at first, but I wasn't entirely sure myself why. I'm being hired on as a show designer for my former high school next year, and one of the shows I want to design for them is a Corps-based show, not based on any one specific show or corps (as has been done too often), but on the activity as a whole. The title of the show, at this point, is "No School Like the Old School", and features tunes recognizable to any longtime fans of Drum & Bugle Corps. The list of tunes so far is as follows (and in this order):

1. Battle Hymn of the Republic

2. Conquest (from Captain From Castile)

3. Summertime (from Porgy and Bess)

4. Malaguena

Does anyone have any suggestions, such as songs to include instead of others or if they should be in a different order?

Edited by KingDubya