"Classic" Corps Songs

Thanks everyone that posted. I guess I could've told you why I asked this at first, but I wasn't entirely sure myself why. I'm being hired on as a show designer for my former high school next year, and one of the shows I want to design for them is a Corps-based show, not based on any one specific show or corps (as has been done too often), but on the activity as a whole. The title of the show, at this point, is "No School Like the Old School", and features tunes recognizable to any longtime fans of Drum & Bugle Corps. The list of tunes so far is as follows (and in this order):

1. Battle Hymn of the Republic

2. Conquest (from Captain From Castile)

3. Summertime (from Porgy and Bess)

4. Malaguena

Does anyone have any suggestions, such as songs to include instead of others or if they should be in a different order?

I think that Mike Boo is right on the Battle Hymn of the Republic. More corps have probably played that song than any other. It's the old Drum Corps standby - when in doubt go with Battle Hymn - everbody recognizes it. Most corps today like the Troopers and Bridgemen use it mostly just for parades I think. The Cavs struck gold with it back in the 60's, as they did with Summertime. Anyway, I wish you all the best in your endeavor and hope your kids do well. :thumbup:

Another classic:

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow"

45 Junior Corps listings, including the awesomely named "Scout House Bugle Band"

14 International

10 Senior

A baritone player in my college marching band, arranged a medley similar to what you're talking about. It had Mambo, Malaguena, the 82 BD ballad (can't remember what it was called) and I think Battle Hymn was in there somewhere.

I just IM'ed him. Maybe he'll jump on here and say something.

With all the good stuff played over the years, I can't narrow it down to just a few charts. One real corps classic already mentioned would have to be Battle Hymn a la Troopers.

Other ideas:

just about anything from Chuck Mangione

WSS

I loves me some Summertime, too. Awesome chart.

"Classic" Corps Songs.... I get what most say about familiar/most played pieces.... what I thought of, first thing to come to mind was the idea that a "corps song" is like its trademark piece... sometimes a warm-up.. as in "Salvation is Created" as the Spirit warm-up for years, "You'll Never Walk Alone" for Madison.... but, nothing beats.. as the Boo said.. "Battle Hymn of the Republic." :thumbup:

.... and now that I think about it... that would be an interesting concept... maybe drum corps associated music that doesn't get played on the field, during a show a lot.....

Edited by cavalry37

That doesn't sound that bad. And it'll definitely be more recognizable to the general audience than Summertime, IMO.

Always a good choice. I know the Cavaliers have a long history with "Over the Rainbow", but to me the definitive version will always be the early 80's Sky Ryders. Gotta love the marching tympani and keyboards:

Sky_rainbowVFW79.jpg

Always a good choice. I know the Cavaliers have a long history with "Over the Rainbow", but to me the definitive version will always be the early 80's Sky Ryders. Gotta love the marching tympani and keyboards:

Sky_rainbowVFW79.jpg

Cavaliers audio is easy to find, but I've been having trouble getting ahold of video/audio of 80's Sky Ryders (I've actually never seen any of their shows, so I want to try and find one). Anyone know where I might be able to find it (download or purchasing CD, is I have to)?

EDIT: Found some video on the unmentionable site.

Edited by KingDubya