BOA Soundcheck/Lucas Oil Stadium

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aww... come on... please?!?!??! Many of us don't have the luxury of such an experience

On second thought, erasing post.

The environment for DCI will be different than the environment for this event in several ways

Sorry for the redundancy, but....how so? Since the various DCI events that will be held there will see a variety of corps sizes, crowd sizes and weather conditions, I imagine any sound check with a marching brass/percussion unit would have some relevance.

Edited by audiodb

Aw, such a tease. :laughing:

I can give you all an idea of what is it like to perform in it. The turf is a little bit softer than the RCA Dome and still has those #### rubber beads. There is a huge echo for the performers still. The sound isn't dead though thank God and in fact I found the sound kind of nice and resonant. It is big. Feels like your performing outside it is so big.

From an audience standpoint from what I've heard, not experienced, it doesn't have much echo if any at all. The 300 and 400 seats are the nicest I heard obviously because everyone projects to the box. On the back sideline BOA hung a huge black curtain that really took away from the stadiums color I thought because there is a huge open space where you can see the entrance and concessions. That could possibly be a problem for noise during Finals.

Please tell us more about what you experienced.

It's FAR better than the RCA Dome. I know that might not be saying much, but I always liked "the old gal," so the booming drums never really bothered me as much as it did others. :laughing:

While the room does "ring" a little with the roof closed, it's not heavy on reverb bouncing back in your face and all over the place. Perhaps this was due to the fact that the stadium is a giant shoebox, and not circular like the old one.

It's more like – but acoustically better than – the Georgia Dome, in my opinion. I'd guess that with the roof open (it was closed yesterday), it will be fantastic, depending on the weather. With the roof closed and these crazy curtains in use, it's going to be BY FAR the best of the "domed" experiences. I'm sure they still have some playing around to do with the sound-deadening capabilities of those curtains to get it all worked out... perhaps the basis for BOA calling the event their "Soundcheck" yesterday.

I checked things out from several different vantage points. I didn't experience any of the "dead zones" that Atlanta seems to have. I'm sure that there will be some photos turning up soon that show the curtains.