finger dexterity

crazymello

I have been noticing a severe weakness in my finger dexterity. This is a big problem... i have been trying to get it better, but my fingers just keep feeling... ########. My friend told me knuckle cracking would hurt it... any confirmation on this? Thanks.

I don't know about knuckle cracking, but dexterity can be helped by repetition and rest. Practice what it is that you need to do performance wise and keep at it.

You also need to rest when you get tired, but push it a little every time you practice.

Weakness in dexterity usually rears its' ugly head on really fast fingerings, especially since brass instruments have valves or rotors that have a much longer travel than say, the keys of a woodwind instrument.

It takes time to build the kind of dexterity and speed required to overcome the problems related with the coordination and distance the valves have to travel.

Other than some medical problems which may be interfering with your playing - just keep at it and at it and at it and at it and at it....

Knuckle cracking is definitely a myth, IMO. I'm one of the biggest knuckle-crackers around and I have a 4 measure 16th note run on Tenor Sax where I have to compete with flutes, piccolos, and clarinets.

I think the best thing for finger dexterity is to just practice. I practice scales on my sax at least a half hour every time I practice. I don't play mello (or brass) but I'm sure scales are really great practice tools for you guys too. Just go around the circle of fifths and stop when you feel confident about your scales. Also, I think fingering is great, too. Woodwind guys do it all the time, once again not sure about brass guys. Whenever you have nothing to do, finger your scales or a piece of music. I can't tell you how often I subliminally finger my scales on a pen or pencil.

Which also brings me to this tool. It's mostly for guitarists or bassists, but it'll definitely help with your situation. Just practice pushing the fingers until you have some good strength and dexterity. You could use this to finger your music, too.

http://www.music123.com/Gripmaster-Exercis...134911.Music123

I have been noticing a severe weakness in my finger dexterity. This is a big problem... i have been trying to get it better, but my fingers just keep feeling... ########. My friend told me knuckle cracking would hurt it... any confirmation on this? Thanks.

I would suggest clark studies everyday... this would be the first thing I would do than work into allen vizzutti's trumpet method book 1 Technical studies. The exerices should be played every day. Follow the instructions closely.

Dave Keck

Knuckle cracking is definitely a myth, IMO. I'm one of the biggest knuckle-crackers around and I have a 4 measure 16th note run on Tenor Sax where I have to compete with flutes, piccolos, and clarinets.

I think the best thing for finger dexterity is to just practice. I practice scales on my sax at least a half hour every time I practice. I don't play mello (or brass) but I'm sure scales are really great practice tools for you guys too. Just go around the circle of fifths and stop when you feel confident about your scales. Also, I think fingering is great, too. Woodwind guys do it all the time, once again not sure about brass guys. Whenever you have nothing to do, finger your scales or a piece of music. I can't tell you how often I subliminally finger my scales on a pen or pencil.

Which also brings me to this tool. It's mostly for guitarists or bassists, but it'll definitely help with your situation. Just practice pushing the fingers until you have some good strength and dexterity. You could use this to finger your music, too.

http://www.music123.com/Gripmaster-Exercis...134911.Music123

I mean... I am a tenor sax player too, and it is kinda... different. You know, how tenor sax is done, it is al your fingers, and mostly only one moving at a time, the rest are held down, or a lot of them releasing at the same time. It is different on three valved brass instruments... I just feel ######## through some of these sixteenth note runs in this audition piece I am trying to work up. And yes, I finger up and down chromatically all the time when I am bored. But nice to not be the only tenor saxist around.

Or you could practice the circle of fifths with arpeggios and build speed.

Practice being solid at slower speeds and bring the speed up over time. The problem with a lot of people is that they think they have to "feel" like they're playing fast and they end up losing control, with their hands not working in conjunction with the rest of their body and not really having control. You just have to work up into it over time. Clarke Studies are good, although really anything will be good as long as you take it slow and steady; a metronome is a good idea.

Most of the time, dexterity problem occur when the muscles of the right hand are stressed. Relax your fingers, more importantly your thumb, and place only the tip of the fingers on the valves.

Do the test: keep your thumb stressed and try to move your fingers........

So, always relax your right hand muscle muscles to improve your finger dexterity.