What Do Kids Buy While On Tour?

When I marched certain truck stops had these little, miniature, tear gas guns for sale ... They were a big hit most of the time.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone mentioned batteries and bungee cords to me...

batteries I get (AA & AAA I presume), but bungee cords?????

If luggage or sleeping bag bags start falling apart. Also, you can find things to hook them to above your seat so you can hang stuff from them. They're pretty much awesome.

so is long hair for males not a good idea on tour? Also, is it allowed at all? (we are talking pretty friggin' long here)

Depends on the corps and also what you play. For the most part, long haired males have to cut it off. I had a pony tail for two years of DCI, but when I moved onto my final corps, they let me know during my first audition I'd have to cut it off if I made the corps. I'm glad I did in the end. Tour is MUCH easier with less hair... trust me.

If you are shy in the shower with other people, don't worry....you'll quickly get over it. Don't forget a towel!!! I did for one camp.....that sucked big time.

Definitely buy some body wash soap. Using a bar is just too messy. I think one bottle lasted me the whole summer. Unless you are a girl you really don't need much for shampoo. Most guys cut a lot of their hair off just to make things easy. Make sure guys have razors or shavers and cream, whichever you prefer. I remember shaving a lot more on tour than normal.

Its always nice to send your kid a care package. We like extra homemade food. "Thanks for all the cookies mom"

Bengay/icy hot patches are the bomb as well. Gold bond comes in handy as well. A small bottle should last you b/c most other people have some too so it becomes a community thing.

Dang I'm quite shy!

another question...

I've been told that the bus seats can become very personalized - sheets, baskets?, pouches?

What's up with that? Is it necessary?

Thanks in advance!

another question...

I've been told that the bus seats can become very personalized - sheets, baskets?, pouches?

Thanks in advance!

It is where you spend about 1/4 of your summer in (sometimes longer), so the need to be comfy in the bus is very important.

And yes, the need for "bus boxes" are very important. They contain all of your bus snacks (which are life savers for all-night bus rides), any small souvies you buy on tour (patches, programs, etc.), and anything else you want on the bus (books, music, movies). Other than that, you can have little white boards to hang on the windows, or anything else to entertain you and your seat partner.

another question...

Thanks in advance!

Oh man- your seat is the only part of your life that doesn't change every single day all summer... I brought suction shower baskets to stick on the window and put stuff in, bungee cords are the best investment ever (it straps anything and everything to the ceiling and seats to get it out of your way), and lot of carabiner clips (you can get them at wal-mart and they do everything from hanging shoes and waterbottles on the bus to holding your dotbook together) I only brought a couple and ended up buying more on tour. As I'm sure they will suggest to your daughter closer to May, a 'bus box' is any type box that fits under your seat to store everything you need for shows and/or personal items on the bus- I recommend getting one with a lid so stuff doesn't roll out. I didn't do this, but a bunch of my friends bought rugs to put under their seats (sometimes it's more comfortable to sleep on the floor so you don't get bus feet...) Other than that, my corps required a seat cover or fitted sheet so keep the seat from getting gross.

Note: I read a bunch of replies that talked about buying a lot of clothes on tour and to be honest packing too many clothes is awful to lug around all summer. You need lots of bras/bikinis, underwear and socks- other than that PACK LIGHT! Even if she tries to pack light (like it did) she will still probably give you things to take home with you when you see her at shows (like I did to my parents... all summer :blink: ) I did bring one pair of jeans and one casual dress so on laundry nights I could feel like a human being (each laundry stop for me was less than $10 for two loads and soap, and we had one stop every 2 weeks)

I also have not yet seen a post about your best friend and mine- sunscreen! Assuming you use it everyday (like we all should...) it runs out as fast or faster than shampoos etc.. I started off with the spray kind because I thought it was faster and easier to apply, but it runs out too quickly. I switched to NO AD brand and that bottle lasted me a month.