Bass Drum Solo

ajw

I'm going to be trying out this year on bass drum and some of the tryouts ask for you to prepare a solo piece to play. What are some suggestions to play on bass? The packet says that you could play a part of a show that you've played in the past, but if that's the best, which bass part would be best to play? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Naturally, a bass part that you played would be best

I thought that, but what if my part was pretty simple and easy?

They basically want to see if you can play ( syncopated 8'ths, 16'ths, 8'th note triplets, double 16'ths, double 24'th notes, triple beat 16'ths, 24'th notes) in time with a consistent sound.

Know the P.A.S. rudiments and be able to play them correctly ( and off the other hand/mirrored ).

Be able to sight read/memorize quickly and play it next time through by memory ( or by the second time).

Be able to mark time ( in time on the center of the beat ) with whatever they give you so practice multiple time sigs ( 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 7/4, 5/8, 7/8, 9/8, ) but be able to keep the feet and hands solid.

Be able to play with control at all heights. Relaxed but control ( no tension )

Be able to play single 2's( 16'th/24'th), 3's ( triplet ), 4's ( 32'nd/24'th ) and don't drop the notes in.

Consistent height and sound

If they tell you a technique thing to fix or do......DO IT!!! right then and there and for the rest of the camp don't let them tell you to do it again.

Don't have fear of making a mistake. Be confident. If you have a question ask them. That's what they are there for.

Come prepared ( what ever they said to bring.. bring ) Know that corps/instructors warmups, listen to them constantly or when possible. Drum along with it.

If you have a vid ( youtube) of that corps's bass line watch it and get their technique down ( grip, mallet angle, arm angle for every drum, arm/wrist rotation ).

Use a mirror at home and check your self. ( one hand pad one hand stick. whatever you gotta do).

Don't be cocky. Bu humble but own what you know and what you learn.

Can you hold a drum for a long time with no problems? That's also key. Be ready for any drum a 18 or a 30 and own it.

Play, perform and achieve their technique in a way that you are on a drum longer than anyone else.

Make them have to ask you to sit out so everyone can have a chance. Not because you ticked.

Edited by spirit7698

They basically want to see if you can play ( syncopated 8'ths, 16'ths, 8'th note triplets, double 16'ths, double 24'th notes, triple beat 16'ths, 24'th notes) in time with a consistent sound.

Know the P.A.S. rudiments and be able to play them correctly ( and off the other hand/mirrored ).

Be able to sight read/memorize quickly and play it next time through by memory ( or by the second time).

Be able to mark time ( in time on the center of the beat ) with whatever they give you so practice multiple time sigs ( 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 7/4, 5/8, 7/8, 9/8, ) but be able to keep the feet and hands solid.

Be able to play with control at all heights. Relaxed but control ( no tension )

Be able to play single 2's( 16'th/24'th), 3's ( triplet ), 4's ( 32'nd/24'th ) and don't drop the notes in.

Consistent height and sound

If they tell you a technique thing to fix or do......DO IT!!! right then and there and for the rest of the camp don't let them tell you to do it again.

Don't have fear of making a mistake. Be confident. If you have a question ask them. That's what they are there for.

Come prepared ( what ever they said to bring.. bring ) Know that corps/instructors warmups, listen to them constantly or when possible. Drum along with it.

If you have a vid ( youtube) of that corps's bass line watch it and get their technique down ( grip, mallet angle, arm angle for every drum, arm/wrist rotation ).

Use a mirror at home and check your self. ( one hand pad one hand stick. whatever you gotta do).

Don't be cocky. Bu humble but own what you know and what you learn.

Can you hold a drum for a long time with no problems? That's also key. Be ready for any drum a 18 or a 30 and own it.

Play, perform and achieve their technique in a way that you are on a drum longer than anyone else.

Make them have to ask you to sit out so everyone can have a chance. Not because you ticked.

Thanks for the help. I'll definitely do that.

or they might mean they want to hear you play a rudimental snare drum solo(on bass drum) or spree or something of that nature. you might want to send an e-mail and ask so you don't bust your butt on the wrong thing.

I thought of that too. Sent them an email. Basically got told to read the packet. Which I have, and the reason I sent an email was because of exactly what you said.

Um...I would go ahead and listen to spirit7698. As someone who's marched and been around the activity for a while, I can tell you that he is 100% correct. They just want to see how well you approach the instrument...not how many notes you can ram. If you have those kind of chops then that's great, but having good chops alone will not land you a spot on any competitive line.

Um...I would go ahead and listen to spirit7698. As someone who's marched and been around the activity for a while, I can tell you that he is 100% correct. They just want to see how well you approach the instrument...not how many notes you can ram. If you have those kind of chops then that's great, but having good chops alone will not land you a spot on any competitive line.

Yeah I'm definitely going to take his advice. I've also got someone here at school that is going to help me out. Thanks for everyone's help.

So how's it going so far? Something else I forgot to add. We did this ( sometimes ) because time is always of the essence.

This will be a life saver for when you don't have time. You should do this 30 minutes a day anyway.

We would practice attacks at all heights and really focus on our " lift " ( the time and place in time which you consistently raise or lift the mallet to play a note). We would always do this double stops when on a pad and every now and then on a drum. Sadly though a lot of corps don't teach this and it takes their bass line all summer to be clean when it could be done by mid all days ( or spring camps if everyone in the line does this).

We would spend a good amount of time on one height then move to the next. It really makes height control and a clean attack happen naturally. We did the same thing for double beat and triple beat exercises. It really evens out your 2's and 4's and of course a little Irish Jig ( old school triplet " double beat " exercise focusing on the first and last beat ) but instead of playing it right doubles for a phrase then left doubles for a phrase just play it as " natural sticking " so you are working it just as you would start and finish 3's ( 6 tuplet split ). Lift timing, height, velocity, attack timing and sound.... It's all about consistency.