A Capital Brass! Christmas

We will begin Brass Ensemble rehearsals on Saturday, 10/25, 4-6pm, to work on our 2008 Holiday Show.

Wednesday evening rehearsals will resume in the near future.

Performance dates (indoor... no Kettle-type, outdoor gigs) are being considered.

This year we'll be using a few of the best tunes from last year's book, and adding a few Canadian Brass Holiday arrangements.

We have all parts covered, but would consider adding a few players to our seasoned ensemble. Experienced, dependable players, with strong reading skills and a team attitude will have fun with this high quality group and well written book.

We will also soon begin to cover some material that we'll carry over to 2009, and maybe even try a new tune or two.

Inquiries to: tommacd@nycap.rr.com

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year's book will be fun to hear and a hoot to play; including Christmas and Holiday tunes arranged by:

The Canadian Brass

and, original B-O-M! composer/arranger Kevin Foster.

Playlist to follow.

Wednesday Evening rehearsals beginning 10/29 and thru November.

Required;

...extensive performance experience, strong reading skills

...a committment to November rehearsals and early December Saturday afternoon performances - likely 11/29, 12,6, 12/13.

a few mid and low brass instruments available for qualified players. Trumpet players provide their own.

Edited by brassomaniac

This year's book will be fun to hear and a hoot to play; including Christmas and Holiday tunes arranged by:

The Canadian Brass

and, original B-O-M! composer/arranger Kevin Foster.

Playlist to follow.

Wednesday Evening rehearsals beginning 10/29 and thru November.

Required;

...extensive performance experience, strong reading skills

...a committment to November rehearsals and early December Saturday afternoon performances - likely 11/29, 12,6, 12/13.

a few mid and low brass instruments available for qualified players. Trumpet players provide their own.

Due to the venues involved, only a very few additional players will be added to this series of performances.

Edited by brassomaniac

Building the 2008 Holiday Book:

The Christmas Song (Kevin Foster arrangement)

Silent Night (Foster)

Carol of the Bells (Canadian Brass)

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch (adapted from a TCL arrangement)

(gotta have a cartoon theme in there- its a CB! thing!)

Hava Nagila (Canadian Brass)

Auld Lang Syne (ballad adapted from Ken Norman arrangement)

(just `cause we never get to play it)

more to be added

rehearsal Saturday 4pm, then Wednesday nights, thru November

2 Performances each Saturday afternoon: likely 11/29, 12,6, 12/13.

Edited by brassomaniac

St. Joe's Alumni has had a thing going for years now playing for shut ins in Nursing Homes etc, called Christmas Brass. Bobby LaDuca has donated lots of jingles and serious Christmas Carols...bith secular and religious that we play. It is quite amazing when guys like me, Ace Petersen and even Joey Pero when he is town sit down to play this stuff, as you know there is a lot of talent in the St. Joe's family and upstate area. We play on G bugles...

I think that you guys should just keep playing!!! It seems like you enjoy it!!!

Donny

St. Joe's Alumni has had a thing going for years now playing for shut ins in Nursing Homes etc, called Christmas Brass. Bobby LaDuca has donated lots of jingles and serious Christmas Carols...bith secular and religious that we play. It is quite amazing when guys like me, Ace Petersen and even Joey Pero when he is town sit down to play this stuff, as you know there is a lot of talent in the St. Joe's family and upstate area. We play on G bugles...

I think that you guys should just keep playing!!! It seems like you enjoy it!!!

Donny

What you guys are doing out there sounds great, and it's just like what I'm going for here, Donny.

I'll be replacing the jingles from last year with some more serious works, from the Canadian Brass catalog (the easier stuff, of course). Plus, we'll keep the tasty tunes that Kevin Foster did for us (and, naturally, we'll keep "The Grinch")

I was surprised that a few guys actually bugged me about doing it again. So, I guess they must be enjoying it!

Good start today! Dusted off a couple of old tunes, and learned a couple new ones.

The book so far:

The Christmas Song

Silent Night

Carol of the Bells

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch

Hava Nagila

Auld Lang Syne

Ave Maria (Rachmaninoff)

All Creatures of Our God and King

Hallelujah Chorus from "Messiah"

Rehearsals Wednesdays- 6:30-9:00 - thru November.

Edited by brassomaniac

• 1 month later...

Our first two Christmas performances were well received on Saturday. We'll have 6 total appearances this year, including performances at High School winter concerts, hospitals and nursing homes.

We made a late additon to our rep on Saturday: "The Chipmunk Song". . It was a HOOT!

This year's show is a step up from 2008, and includes a couple of Kevin Foster arrangements, a bunch from the Canadian Brass catalog, and a couple I adapted from here and there:

Mel Torme's "The Christmas Song"

Silent Night

Carol of the Bells

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch

Hava Nagila

What Child is This

O Little Town of Bethlehem

Joy to the World

Hallelujah Chorus from "Messiah"

The Chipmunk Song

I'll likely have a couple more ready to read for the gig on Thursday.

Edited by brassomaniac