Euphonium

Kansan

I've seen quite a few people on here mentioning that Dynasty's are junk, and I'd like to find out why. I really enjoy playing mine and in a tossup between playing a trombone, marching baritone, or the euph, the euph wins out every time. The only complaint I have against the marching euphonium is the physical demands it imposes. I have always been a contra/tuba player in the drum corps arena, so I am not as tough as a mainstream drum corps euph player, and I tend to get worn out from 15 minutes or so of holding the thing up "7 degrees above the horizon." Other than that I love it. I've played mine in a small marching band setting where I only had a young trombone player to match pitch with and it always seems to fit well. But, in a big hornline it could be totally different. Could someone offer some testimonies as to how they felt about Dynasty horns?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen quite a few people on here mentioning that Dynasty's are junk, and I'd like to find out why. I really enjoy playing mine and in a tossup between playing a trombone, marching baritone, or the euph, the euph wins out every time. The only complaint I have against the marching euphonium is the physical demands it imposes. I have always been a contra/tuba player in the drum corps arena, so I am not as tough as a mainstream drum corps euph player, and I tend to get worn out from 15 minutes or so of holding the thing up "7 degrees above the horizon." Other than that I love it. I've played mine in a small marching band setting where I only had a young trombone player to match pitch with and it always seems to fit well. But, in a big hornline it could be totally different. Could someone offer some testimonies as to how they felt about Dynasty horns?

As far as G Baritones go, the Dynasty 2 Valve Baritones were a chore to play in comparison to other brands such as King and Olds.

(my opinion)

The 3 valve G Dynasty Baritones are pretty nice. They are balanced and the sound is sweet like Honey. Now, the finish durability has some problems but you just have to take care of them, that's all.

The Bb stuff? you'll have to get that from someone else. :laughing:

I can't comment on the euphonium but I can on the marching baritone...

I have been lucky enough to have put some time in on marching baritones made by Dynasty, King, and Yamaha. For the reocrd I own the Yamaha and traditionally have not been a Dynasty fan. I had limited time on a King and found it to be stuffy and somewhat uncomfortable to hold. Feel the valve cluster is to far away from the body in playing position. The Dynasty model plays very well, notes slot very nicely with a warm pleasant tone. Comfortable to hold, and I do have to admit, I LOVE the valve stroke: short, fast, and smooth! The Yamaha, which I have put the most time on is an excellent horn. My only complaint is the valve stroke, stems are a little long, I don't have very large hands. The Yamaha is a little harder to play than the Dynasty, but is far more rewarding for the advanced baritone player.

IMO, the Dynasty is an excellent horn best suited for developing players. The Yamaha is a step above, better suited for experienced players. The King, which I had the least time with, was a dissapointment for me. I expected much more from a horn bearing that famous name.

Hopefully with Quantum in the picture now, all the major players will improve their products.

In the 2 valve days, the Deg Euphonium had horrid intonation. To put it into perspective, go into almost any Jr. High storage locker and pull out what appears to be the worst, oldest, most undesirable horn that still plays in the closet. And it will likely have better intonation than a Deg 2 valve euphonium. That being said, the Deg did play well, sound well, and was for the most part built for the rigors of drumcorps. I sort of prefer the sound of that old two valve horn, having played it 4 out of my 5 years in DCI (3 out of 4 on the Deg in a top 12 finalists corps). My Yamaha Silent Brass Euphonium mute fits that horn like a glove. Almost too well, it's difficult to get the mute out of that horn. Sound wise that old 2 valve (made by wilson) rivals that of the King Bb models. Although the smaller bore and other resistance factors makes it difficult to exploit that deg's native beauty.

On the 3 valve G Deg Euph, not the best of the best of the best. But a respectable horn.

On the 3 valve Bb Deg Euph, much of the same, but the 3 valve G is probably the better horn. Ergonomics on the G are noticeably better IMO. But sort of roughly equal horns. They tend to favor some of the smaller or at least more traditionally sized mouthpieces relative to their brethren of other origins.

As far as Euphs I'd buy all over again (or for the first time).

King 2 valve - chrome (but it'd have to be fairly mint as they didn't hold up as well IMO)

(Just the penultimate of what a drumcorps bugle SHOULD look like. And a decent playing horn)

Kanstul 3 valve in G (hands down the easiest playing marching euphonium in any key. Not the best sound, not perfect intonation, but slots so well, and blows so freely.)

King 3 valve in Bb (as much as I utterly hate the ergonomics, the sound that I got the last time that I played one has me hooked)

(I much prefer the ergonomics of the Yamaha Euph in Bb, but there's something magic about the sound on that King. Even on a Kelly 1 1/2G)

I tend to tune 3rd flat (since it's not used much anyway). Helps on those combinations, but you've got to choose the lesser of two evils if you sub 3 for 1+2 a lot. I tried the Yamaha at DCI 2007. Nice horn, good ergonomics, but I didn't care for the valve action much. A little to much bounce when releasing the valves. But otherwise a very nice horn, and one of the lighter Euphs out there.

The valve design is horrid... you have replace the springs every week if you want it to be okay... my favorite valves as other have said is on the dynasty brand baris/euphs... it's a shame i don't like how they play.

I have to say the best buy is the Yamaha Bb Euphonium.. I love the sound of the Kings, and how they play... but they are not comfortable to hold. The yamaha sound is just fine, I like it a lot, so it makes it a better buy over the King for me.