Euphonium

Kansan

We are the proud owners of a lone Euphonium.

If put into service, what can this Horn do for us? Or is it just another Baritone?

We are playing Jazz this next season.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If put into service, what can this Horn do for us? Or is it just another Baritone?

It can be the strong center of your lower bari part. A euph is best used similarly to a bass trombone, a lone one could theoretically get swamped out of relevance, but if the player has the lungs to support it, then it can be the core that turns your lower baritone section into a section of small euphoniums.

I would say a euphonium is much closer to a baritone than a bass trombone. It really can't offer what a bass bone does... but in writing for it, it is perfect for your lowest voiced baritone part. It is pitched the same as the baritone, just a larger instrument, therefore the lower range is a little better at projecting than on a baritone. But it's basically your third baritone part.

I don't think anyone is saying that a marching euph is the same as a bass trombone, they're saying that it serves the same purpose within the bari section that a bass trombone does in a trombone section--namely, to reinforce the low end. Technically, both marching baritones and euphoniums are euphoniums by their traditional definitions; they're conically-bored instruments that serve as the tenor voice. Baritone has just been attached to them because of the instruments that preceded them in drum corps and because so many in the US use the terms baritone and euphonium interchangeably.

I don't think anyone is saying that a marching euph is the same as a bass trombone, they're saying that it serves the same purpose within the bari section that a bass trombone does in a trombone section--namely, to reinforce the low end. Technically, both marching baritones and euphoniums are euphoniums by their traditional definitions; they're conically-bored instruments that serve as the tenor voice. Baritone has just been attached to them because of the instruments that preceded them in drum corps and because so many in the US use the terms baritone and euphonium interchangeably.

Gotcha, i was just hoping people weren't making a direct comparison to the bass bone, cause honestly, you can't compare the two. But yeah marching euph would be serving the same purpose in reinforcing the lower end.

Gotcha, i was just hoping people weren't making a direct comparison to the bass bone, cause honestly, you can't compare the two. But yeah marching euph would be serving the same purpose in reinforcing the lower end.

Yep. They're massively different instruments, but the comparison was made in terms of usage, not construction or pure timbre.

Kansan, also, don't underestimate the Hype factor of a lone Euph. Get a player on that who can consistently hold up the horn, especially if that player happens to be something like a 5'2" female, and you never have to worry about the rest of the baritones holding their bells up. The thing is only a few pounds heavier than a comparable baritone, but more often than not, it looks like it weighs a lot more.

Just, remind them not to go all "heavy horn hype" near any contrabasses. :smile:

Question for "newer" Euph players. Played a 2v Euph for parades 84/85 and the beast did not take a trombone mouthpiece. Do all of todays Euphs use a larger mouthpiece as I never see it mentioned. Didn't play for about 4 years and started right in on the Euph without transition problems (might have been the time off). Thing is you couldn't tell the MP was larger until you tried to place a t-bone MP in the horn and ...oh #### :smile:

PS - Played lowest Bari part as we didn't have a Euph written part. And if you don't have a 5' 2" female to play Euph how about a 5' 6" guy (guess who).

Almost all 3 valve marching Euphs I've run across have a bass shank receiver. In the days of old, the King 2 valve was bass shank, and the Deg 2 valve was neither bass nor tenor shank, but some medium / euro / brittish shank. I generally used a tenor shank piece with an adapter, or some tape (duct/electrical) to secure the mouthpiece on the old 2 valve degs.

As far as what it does, depends on the player and the horn. Some use them to mello out the lead parts (circa Star of Indianna). But most are relegated to 3rd/4th bari parts. They have advantages. Like making a big guy 6'+ 300lbs-ish look like he's carrying a normal horn. Or allowing someone who typically overblows a baritone to play just as loud, if not louder, without distorting. For me, it's a baritone without limits. I can pump out a lung full of air in two counts and not technically overblow.

As far as the voice / timbre / sound. The Euph plays the role of a Bass Trombonist. And in the case of my Kanstul KEB195, actually sounds more like a Bass Trombone than a Euphonium. It's not a Bass Trombone. But it doesn't quite sound like a Euphonium either. As far as lead playing on them. Not always idea as most of the horns do not tune well above written G on the top of the staff in treble. And are otherwise difficult to master in the high register since the horn does not help much with extra resistence and such to support high register playing for extended periods. It can be done, but some things are better left on Baritone in practical applications.

The King marching euphs are not bad in the upper register, which is why i think phantom goes with a full euph line, i actually like them better in the upper range. The Yamaha euphs play better as a whole than their baritones (in my playing experience) but do offer a darker fuller sound. (which i think may be why many corps who use yamahas are starting to put their seconds on euphs also). The Yamaha's tend to get airy in the extreme upper register, but with a good player its not a problem. The Yamaha euphs are also the easiest to hold, they are balanced very well, pretty much all Yamaha horns are from what i here... but they still have their Yamaha cheaply made issues...

I've only played on King, Yamaha and Dynasty... my favorite playing was the King, my favorite holding was the Yamaha, and i could deal with the tuning issues the horn has. Dynasty... I haven't formed a good opinion, i really don't like how they play, and they are hunks of metal.

Oh, most marching horns today use a large shank trombone mouthpiece. I know a popular mouthpiece choice is the Schilke 51D.