Good Luck Capital Regiment

Remember the membership problems Troopers had coming back in 2007. Thanks to serious recruiting, they ended up fielding a full horn line that season.

That's the key here - RECRUIT!!!

You are right. Recruiting is the key.

I was around a bit in 07 when troopers started getting things going. They had very very few vets and numerous years of some pretty poorly run drum corps and poorly designed and executed shows. So, they had a lot of obstacles in their way. The staff kept their heads down and did their jobs. They recruited and gave the kids a good experience and put out a program that was much better than what they had put out for some time. The way they did things in 07 really set them up for 08 and 09. They went from having just a handful of vets in 07 to over 50 in 08 and the staff started to ratchet up the pressure and look where they ended up. So, it is possible.

Unfortunately, I think the example of troop overcoming obstacles is a bit of an abnormality. Cap Reg will basically be starting from scratch. No vets and an all new staff. They also have the albatross of 2006 hanging around their necks, and that is certainly not going to help in recruiting. Finally, they aren't likely to get much help from other corps in terms of cut lists and sending members their way. Rick Bays ###### a lot of people in the activity and I think most people would be reluctant to give them a helping hand for fear of what kind of experience they might be sending kids into.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, every corps staff wants the kids there to succeed.

Second, filling up the horn line for them is not an automatic. Far from it actually.

1. I know they all do, but the staff were extremely accommodating.

2. Lets get all negative. You never know what will end up happening. The Troopers did it, so can we.

ok...so 21 in the horns...what about the battery and pit?

and what are their expectations for guard? I know they have until April to solidify those numbers but preliminarily...what are we looking at?

See, if C Reg even doubles their horn numbers....has a solid battery and a decent sized guard, they have a real chance of getting back to WC, provided the fiscal house is in order and they are ready to travel. if the numbers are 42 horns, 20 battery, 35 guard and a DM that's close to 100. Right about where Pioneer is at present.

There was about 50 people trying our for snare. 5 Tenors, and 5 basses. Some of the original snares changed to front ensemble, bass drum and tenors. The percussion is pretty competitive even for this comeback year. 2 Percussionists even went to guard. There were originally 2 people on guard, making a total of 4 at camp.

Edited by Michael Relko

Not to be harsh, but like any non "Super-Corps" their numbers will improve greatly after the first round of auditions. Lot's of people try out for the huge corps just to try it out, then end up marching someplace else to get experience. I've been there, tried out for a perennial top 3 corps, got cut, and went and learned a TON from marching (err sitting) a div III corps.

1. I know they all do, but the staff were extremely accommodating.

2. Lets get all negative. You never know what will end up happening. The Troopers did it, so can we.

That was my whole point... you never know

Unfortunately, I think the example of troop overcoming obstacles is a bit of an abnormality. Cap Reg will basically be starting from scratch. No vets and an all new staff.

actually i am a returning vet i marched 05 and 06...........and i am thrilled to be back at capital..........it was the best camp i have ever been too.........we have a great staff this year that really cares about the kids and helping make us all great players and marching gods............the music is going to be amazing this year.........and i'm already really excited about the december camp i can't wait to see all the new faces and the ones i got to meet at this past camp.........its going to be a great year and i cant wait to be out on that field marching with and aging out with capital regiment

actually i am a returning vet i marched 05 and 06...........and i am thrilled to be back at capital..........it was the best camp i have ever been too.........we have a great staff this year that really cares about the kids and helping make us all great players and marching gods............the music is going to be amazing this year.........and i'm already really excited about the december camp i can't wait to see all the new faces and the ones i got to meet at this past camp.........its going to be a great year and i cant wait to be out on that field marching with and aging out with capital regiment

Ok so there is at least one vet. How many more are there besides you?

Ok so there is at least one vet. How many more are there besides you?

just me and i'm very ok with that

Edited by CR0506

That's awesome that you are coming back. It shows Loyalty and Dedication to the organization.

That's awesome that you are coming back. It shows Loyalty and Dedication to the organization.

Dedication is key. Its nice to see someone come back after two years of downtime.

I bellieve I speak for all alumni when I say that I am proud to have you in the corps. The dedication you and your family have shown this corps is incredible. Thank you.