2004 Cd's

I got a set of '04 CD's and it didn't come with liner notes.

If this set did come with liner notes, can someone scan me a color copy of them just so that I have them? Send them via email or regular mail is fine with me. If someone could help I would greatly appreciate it!

If someone has a extra set of liner notes (I know that sounds strange but doesn't hurt to ask) please let me know as well!!

Send me a PM if you can do either of the above! Thanks DCP!

JP

2004 DCI CD liner notes

by Michael Boo

Drum Corps International

World Championships

Denver, Colorado

August 3-7, 2004

(INTRODUCTION—Liner Notes Page One)

2004 was a season of tight contests, right up to that glorious final night in Denver’s INVESCO Field at Mile High. With the addition of a second percussion judge, scores were taken out to three decimal places. Ultimately, judges needed each of those places to make major decisions.

In Quarterfinals, Magic of Orlando nudged Southwind by .450 to advance to Semifinals, where Glassmen slipped by SPIRIT by a microcosmic .075 to advance into Finals, the big show that saw The Cavaliers nip Blue Devils by just .175 to claim that corps’ sixth DCI World Championship title.

Many fans were heard commenting that for the first time in many years, they enjoyed every corps in competition, up and down the board.

In Division I Finals, announcer Brandt Crocker read the name “The Cavaliers” last for the fourth time in five years, proving that years beginning with “2” have been very kind to The Green Machine. The corps was proclaimed “Best” in Overall General Effect, Visual Performance and Color Guard, with Blue Devils receiving honors for Best Brass Performance and Santa Clara Vanguard capturing tops in High Percussion Performance.

The two top corps hadn’t even met head-on until one week before Semifinals, with Blue Devils appearing to have the upper hand. While still in California, BD usually topped SCV, with SCV coming out on top once. About the same time, The Cavaliers usually dominated The Cadets, but tables had been turned at a major event at the end of June.

Such a lack of steamrolling kept things interesting right up until the very end.

We hadn’t been to Denver for the World Championships since the 1977 and 1978 events in Mile High Stadium, an imposing edifice that sat right next to the new stadium. The passing 26 years seem like a blur to fans that remember those previous two championships as if they were yesterday, and yet no one marching on the field had yet been born the last time the DCI World Championships came to the Mile High City.

A lot has changed during that time. Guards have embraced dance, drills became asymmetrical and much faster paced, the percussion pit came into existence, many corps have turned to B-flat instruments and this year, for the first time, amplification was allowed.

On the way to Denver, most of the Division I corps stopped at major Drum Corps International events in either San Antonio or Kalamazoo, then proceeded to Orlando, Allentown and Indianapolis. Kalamazoo was a new site for a major event, and Orlando welcomed us back after hosting the World Championships just a year earlier.

Among just a few of the notable events during the final week was Carolina Crown popping into 6th place in Semifinals with a use of amplification perhaps not anticipated, Capital Regiment moving up the ranks into 14th place, and a trio of California corps, each a recent addition to Division I, hovering just under the cut-off for Semifinals.

These CDs preserve the audio performances of all 24 of the Division I corps. Lay back, turn up the volume, close your eyes and remember what it was like to witness 24 of the most entertaining shows to ever hit the field in one season.

The Cavaliers

007 was a study in attitude that allowed us to enjoy all we have come to know and love in the James Bond movies. From the laidback snapping of fingers, through the frenetic gun battle and the victorious ending, Bond stayed cool and composed and, as always, prevailed at the end.

Blue Devils

The SummerTrain Blues Mix emerged from a train yard of the ghosts of blues musicians who rode the rails from city to city. Everyone hops on board as the train picks up steam, passes a crossing and then disappears into the darkened night horizon and a tunnel to places unknown.

Santa Clara Vanguard

Scheherazade was brought to life in a radiant production that won the Spirit of Disney Award. The luscious harmonies and translucent melodies mesmerized all, as the semi-literal story of the “1,001 Arabian Nights” unfolded on the field in a most captivating manner.

The Cadets

Living in the Past launched the corps into the innovative and explosive rock and roll musings of the 1970s rock band, Jethro Tull. Once past the beautiful and mellow opening horn fanfare, the collective toes of the audience tapped in multiple meters until all were tapped out.

Phantom Regiment

Apasionada 874: The Music of Astor Piazzolla infused torrid moods into a variety of jazz and classical musical styles to reinvent the Argentinean tango. A bittersweet sense of love lost was triumphantly overcome by Piazzolla’s ongoing journey of hope and redemption.

Bluecoats

Mood Swings reminded us that swing is full of a variety of musical complexities. The energy of “Ride” was akin to driving too close to a cliff after having the brakes go out, while the series of fake show endings kept turning up the heat, right past boiling to evaporation.

Carolina Crown

Bohemia! captured the mood and ambiance of a loose knit movement of artists, musicians and intellectuals who lived just beyond the edge of society, with hints of the Beatnik generation that grew out of the movement to remind us that ultimately, “Nothing really matters.”

Madison Scouts

MadiSonic stirred up a mix of unknown cool musical sound waves with well known blistering hot waves, relishing in the ability to gently stroke your face to make you feel relaxed, just before turning around and trying to rip said face off your skull with typical Madison aplomb.

Boston Crusaders

The Composition of Color took us on a stunning journey through the color spectrum, beginning with a clean palette of white, jumping into assorted cans of musical paint and then ending amongst the darkness of a musical void, reminding us that color can be heard as well as seen.

Blue Knights

A Knight’s Tale was based on inspirational stories of gallant heroics and rousing adventures of days of knights gone by. One’s mind could easily wander through the exotic sounds conveying a sense of a time long ago and of a land far away, woven into an epic adventure of bravado.

Crossmen

UNITY (Out of Many: One) delved into three elements of putting together a modern pageantry production, “Texture,” “Melody” and “Rhythm,” and how those elements overcome musical discord by uniting to form a cohesive entity by always looking at “Both Sides Now.”

Glassmen

The Voice of One paid tribute to how Martha Graham created her groundbreaking compositions for dance, taking audio left turns with familiar and unfamiliar works of music that she had commissioned for her troupe. All these years, we only thought we knew “Appalachian Spring.”

SPIRIT from Jacksonville State University

The Architecture of Life explored contrasting elements fighting for supremacy during the development of the brain in “Mindscape,” the “ooooo” and “ahhhh” release of “Dreamscape,” a growing musical vocabulary in “Soundscape” and the diversity of life in “Urbanscape.”

Capital Regiment

A Celebration of Life: Mind, Body and Spirit utilized the music of Holsinger to express the journey through the distinctive characteristics of three building blocks of life. Reverent while exhilarating, the show pulsated with the joy of discovery of what makes us human.

Seattle Cascades

Nature’s Confession was a peak at the surreal world encompassing the Pacific Northwest. “Distant Showers” in the “Sky” spread across the rollicking “Land” and the placid “Sea,” working up a wild “Tempest” until the “Heavens” blanketed the region with a calming serenity.

Colts

From the Heartland evoked the spirit of Midwest Americana. A high-energy celebration of regional values, a tribute to the crisscrossing railroads and homage to the mighty Mississippi River, the show was ultimately a personal reflection of the corps upon itself.

Magic of Orlando

Pirates of the Caribbean re-created the sense of adventure found in the recent film based on the popular DisneyWorld attraction. The Klaus Badelt score conveyed the danger and fun of being a pirate on the high seas, where conflict and merriment exist simultaneously.

Southwind

A Journey Through the Sands captured the beauty, intrigue and drama of eternally old Egypt. The flurry of sand is heard in “Sandstorm” through a flurry of notes, followed by a variety of themes that “snake” through one another with the gliding ease of the ever-present serpent.

Pacific Crest

On Dangerous Ground haunted listeners with its brooding interpretation of Bernard Hermann scores for suspense films. Pay particular attention to the Middle Eastern/African bazaar section in the middle of the show, featuring mutes made from air freshener containers.

Mandarins

Samurai wasted no time in conveying the sense of dedication, pride and loyalty of the titled characters, battling for the hearts of the people right from the very beginning. The spirit of ancient Japan is heard in the pulse of the Taiko drums and the noble air of the melodies.

Esperanza

Five was a most intriguing musical book, utilizing the most contemporary of contemporary music to convey the ever-present visual motif of the number and groupings of five, musically sensed in pulsating meters and angular melodies playing off of five beats to the bar.

Kiwanis Kavaliers

Tonight brought us the best-loved melodies from “West Side Story.” In “America,” the bulk of the horns represented the “old” America while a mariachi band and accompanying percussion delivered the fiery personification of the musical’s escalating Latin identity.

Troopers

The Troopers are Coming! succeeded as a musical travelogue through the soul of “America’s Corps.” Treated as a day in the life of a cavalryman, the traditional and contemporary western tunes captured the aura and magic of the corps’ unique and cherished identity.

Pioneer

Return to Ireland was a figurative and literal journey for Pioneer, as the corps not only led us into essence of the Emerald Isle’s history and charm, but rediscovered their own roots as well. If any music ever sounded like a color, it’s this program of audible green.

Liner notes by Michael Boo

Show off!

:tongue:

Garry in Vegas

Did you actually have those laying around somewhere? Or - did you just recreate them from memory? :tongue:

It's this amazing creation called a hard drive.

The kiddies have nothing on me. :devil:

Wow, I feel old. My rookie year is now being discussed in the Historical Forums.

'04 was an awesome season. I'm not sure where my liner is, so it was cool reading that. Thanks Boo!

Wow, I feel old. My rookie year is now being discussed in the Historical Forums.

'04 was an awesome season. I'm not sure where my liner is, so it was cool reading that. Thanks Boo!

You're welcome. And, yes...You are now old. Time marches on. :thumbdown:

Ahh, wait. 1978 I'd already been out for 5 years … '04 - you do the math, I'm that old! 32 years! I'm going to need a walker to get into the stands this year, for sure.

Puppet

Michael ,

Thanks man you are SICK! (meaning good)

Would it be a violation of copyright if someone did do a scan of the notes from 2004?? I would like that as well!!

JP

2004 DCI CD liner notes

by Michael Boo

Drum Corps International

World Championships

Denver, Colorado

August 3-7, 2004

(INTRODUCTION—Liner Notes Page One)

2004 was a season of tight contests, right up to that glorious final night in Denver’s INVESCO Field at Mile High. With the addition of a second percussion judge, scores were taken out to three decimal places. Ultimately, judges needed each of those places to make major decisions.

In Quarterfinals, Magic of Orlando nudged Southwind by .450 to advance to Semifinals, where Glassmen slipped by SPIRIT by a microcosmic .075 to advance into Finals, the big show that saw The Cavaliers nip Blue Devils by just .175 to claim that corps’ sixth DCI World Championship title.

Many fans were heard commenting that for the first time in many years, they enjoyed every corps in competition, up and down the board.

In Division I Finals, announcer Brandt Crocker read the name “The Cavaliers” last for the fourth time in five years, proving that years beginning with “2” have been very kind to The Green Machine. The corps was proclaimed “Best” in Overall General Effect, Visual Performance and Color Guard, with Blue Devils receiving honors for Best Brass Performance and Santa Clara Vanguard capturing tops in High Percussion Performance.

The two top corps hadn’t even met head-on until one week before Semifinals, with Blue Devils appearing to have the upper hand. While still in California, BD usually topped SCV, with SCV coming out on top once. About the same time, The Cavaliers usually dominated The Cadets, but tables had been turned at a major event at the end of June.

Such a lack of steamrolling kept things interesting right up until the very end.

We hadn’t been to Denver for the World Championships since the 1977 and 1978 events in Mile High Stadium, an imposing edifice that sat right next to the new stadium. The passing 26 years seem like a blur to fans that remember those previous two championships as if they were yesterday, and yet no one marching on the field had yet been born the last time the DCI World Championships came to the Mile High City.

A lot has changed during that time. Guards have embraced dance, drills became asymmetrical and much faster paced, the percussion pit came into existence, many corps have turned to B-flat instruments and this year, for the first time, amplification was allowed.

On the way to Denver, most of the Division I corps stopped at major Drum Corps International events in either San Antonio or Kalamazoo, then proceeded to Orlando, Allentown and Indianapolis. Kalamazoo was a new site for a major event, and Orlando welcomed us back after hosting the World Championships just a year earlier.

Among just a few of the notable events during the final week was Carolina Crown popping into 6th place in Semifinals with a use of amplification perhaps not anticipated, Capital Regiment moving up the ranks into 14th place, and a trio of California corps, each a recent addition to Division I, hovering just under the cut-off for Semifinals.

These CDs preserve the audio performances of all 24 of the Division I corps. Lay back, turn up the volume, close your eyes and remember what it was like to witness 24 of the most entertaining shows to ever hit the field in one season.

The Cavaliers

007 was a study in attitude that allowed us to enjoy all we have come to know and love in the James Bond movies. From the laidback snapping of fingers, through the frenetic gun battle and the victorious ending, Bond stayed cool and composed and, as always, prevailed at the end.

Blue Devils

The SummerTrain Blues Mix emerged from a train yard of the ghosts of blues musicians who rode the rails from city to city. Everyone hops on board as the train picks up steam, passes a crossing and then disappears into the darkened night horizon and a tunnel to places unknown.

Santa Clara Vanguard

Scheherazade was brought to life in a radiant production that won the Spirit of Disney Award. The luscious harmonies and translucent melodies mesmerized all, as the semi-literal story of the “1,001 Arabian Nights” unfolded on the field in a most captivating manner.

The Cadets

Living in the Past launched the corps into the innovative and explosive rock and roll musings of the 1970s rock band, Jethro Tull. Once past the beautiful and mellow opening horn fanfare, the collective toes of the audience tapped in multiple meters until all were tapped out.

Phantom Regiment

Apasionada 874: The Music of Astor Piazzolla infused torrid moods into a variety of jazz and classical musical styles to reinvent the Argentinean tango. A bittersweet sense of love lost was triumphantly overcome by Piazzolla’s ongoing journey of hope and redemption.

Bluecoats

Mood Swings reminded us that swing is full of a variety of musical complexities. The energy of “Ride” was akin to driving too close to a cliff after having the brakes go out, while the series of fake show endings kept turning up the heat, right past boiling to evaporation.

Carolina Crown

Bohemia! captured the mood and ambiance of a loose knit movement of artists, musicians and intellectuals who lived just beyond the edge of society, with hints of the Beatnik generation that grew out of the movement to remind us that ultimately, “Nothing really matters.”

Madison Scouts

MadiSonic stirred up a mix of unknown cool musical sound waves with well known blistering hot waves, relishing in the ability to gently stroke your face to make you feel relaxed, just before turning around and trying to rip said face off your skull with typical Madison aplomb.

Boston Crusaders

The Composition of Color took us on a stunning journey through the color spectrum, beginning with a clean palette of white, jumping into assorted cans of musical paint and then ending amongst the darkness of a musical void, reminding us that color can be heard as well as seen.

Blue Knights

A Knight’s Tale was based on inspirational stories of gallant heroics and rousing adventures of days of knights gone by. One’s mind could easily wander through the exotic sounds conveying a sense of a time long ago and of a land far away, woven into an epic adventure of bravado.

Crossmen

UNITY (Out of Many: One) delved into three elements of putting together a modern pageantry production, “Texture,” “Melody” and “Rhythm,” and how those elements overcome musical discord by uniting to form a cohesive entity by always looking at “Both Sides Now.”

Glassmen

The Voice of One paid tribute to how Martha Graham created her groundbreaking compositions for dance, taking audio left turns with familiar and unfamiliar works of music that she had commissioned for her troupe. All these years, we only thought we knew “Appalachian Spring.”

SPIRIT from Jacksonville State University

The Architecture of Life explored contrasting elements fighting for supremacy during the development of the brain in “Mindscape,” the “ooooo” and “ahhhh” release of “Dreamscape,” a growing musical vocabulary in “Soundscape” and the diversity of life in “Urbanscape.”

Capital Regiment

A Celebration of Life: Mind, Body and Spirit utilized the music of Holsinger to express the journey through the distinctive characteristics of three building blocks of life. Reverent while exhilarating, the show pulsated with the joy of discovery of what makes us human.

Seattle Cascades

Nature’s Confession was a peak at the surreal world encompassing the Pacific Northwest. “Distant Showers” in the “Sky” spread across the rollicking “Land” and the placid “Sea,” working up a wild “Tempest” until the “Heavens” blanketed the region with a calming serenity.

Colts

From the Heartland evoked the spirit of Midwest Americana. A high-energy celebration of regional values, a tribute to the crisscrossing railroads and homage to the mighty Mississippi River, the show was ultimately a personal reflection of the corps upon itself.

Magic of Orlando

Pirates of the Caribbean re-created the sense of adventure found in the recent film based on the popular DisneyWorld attraction. The Klaus Badelt score conveyed the danger and fun of being a pirate on the high seas, where conflict and merriment exist simultaneously.

Southwind

A Journey Through the Sands captured the beauty, intrigue and drama of eternally old Egypt. The flurry of sand is heard in “Sandstorm” through a flurry of notes, followed by a variety of themes that “snake” through one another with the gliding ease of the ever-present serpent.

Pacific Crest

On Dangerous Ground haunted listeners with its brooding interpretation of Bernard Hermann scores for suspense films. Pay particular attention to the Middle Eastern/African bazaar section in the middle of the show, featuring mutes made from air freshener containers.

Mandarins

Samurai wasted no time in conveying the sense of dedication, pride and loyalty of the titled characters, battling for the hearts of the people right from the very beginning. The spirit of ancient Japan is heard in the pulse of the Taiko drums and the noble air of the melodies.

Esperanza

Five was a most intriguing musical book, utilizing the most contemporary of contemporary music to convey the ever-present visual motif of the number and groupings of five, musically sensed in pulsating meters and angular melodies playing off of five beats to the bar.

Kiwanis Kavaliers

Tonight brought us the best-loved melodies from “West Side Story.” In “America,” the bulk of the horns represented the “old” America while a mariachi band and accompanying percussion delivered the fiery personification of the musical’s escalating Latin identity.

Troopers

The Troopers are Coming! succeeded as a musical travelogue through the soul of “America’s Corps.” Treated as a day in the life of a cavalryman, the traditional and contemporary western tunes captured the aura and magic of the corps’ unique and cherished identity.

Pioneer

Return to Ireland was a figurative and literal journey for Pioneer, as the corps not only led us into essence of the Emerald Isle’s history and charm, but rediscovered their own roots as well. If any music ever sounded like a color, it’s this program of audible green.

Liner notes by Michael Boo