What trumpet should I get?/Accessories?

OdeToArsenal47

This is a generalization based solely on your preference. I know some players that use Blessing Mouthpieces and play very well.

Stork has a very good reputation, but are a bit pricey for someone scraping money together to get a horn.

Mouthpiece selection is a very personal thing, but most medium mouthpieces from any company would suffice for a beginner.

I own and use a Blessing mello 5 mothpiece. IMO, It is made just as well as the Dennis Wick 2 (tenor horn) mouthpiece I also own. I tend to reeach for Bach mouthpieces but I would never hesitate to play on a Blessing mouthpiece.

I'm getting my first trumpet with some Christmas money soon, and I was wondering which you would recommend.

http://www.wwbw.com/Kohlert-410L-Series-Student-Bb-Trumpet-i759557.music

It's a lot cheaper, but it doesn't look as nice and probably doesn't sound as good, either. I do get more money for accessories and whatnot, though.

http://www.wwbw.com/Barrington-BRG101-Series-Student-Bb-Trumpet-i125958.music#custReviews

This one looks a lot nicer, and I can pay a little extra to get it in silver, too. The problem is that I'd only have about $30-$50 left, so I'd have to skimp on accessories/books/etc.

Which would be the better buy? Also, what should I get with this trumpet? Can you recommend some books or something? And what about mouthpieces? Both come with one (7C, I'm pretty sure). Should I start on a 7C, or should I spend some/all of my remaining money on another mouthpiece?

I'd switch to French Horn and cut right to the chase. Happy Holidays!

:thumbdown:

This is a generalization based solely on your preference. I know some players that use Blessing Mouthpieces and play very well.

Stork has a very good reputation, but are a bit pricey for someone scraping money together to get a horn.

Mouthpiece selection is a very personal thing, but most medium mouthpieces from any company would suffice for a beginner.

youre probably right about the blessing thing, i do know theyre cheaper than most others

i got my stork, maybe freshmen year in hs and now im a sophomore in college, randomly at a local not music store that really specialized in guitar, bass, drumset and the people really knew nothing about brass/woodwind or other orchestra band stuff. they ordered the mouthpiece out of their catalog and it was the same price as a bach 3C maybe cheaper, thats probably why i bought it instead of the bach. in the end good investment.