Crossmen pick their Drum Majors

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jarrett started in 2005!

Hopefully this new guy does not inherit the curse of Jarrett.

Ever since he showed up the season has ended a day early

:worthy:

Kidding of course... Jarrett is the best thing to happen to the corps since the Austin Powers movies came out.

This is not the first time the Crossmen have had a drum major that was new to the corps. That fan-favorite 1997 Crossmen show was conducted by one as well. For those of you who don't have recollections of that season, it was one of the best seasons the drum corps had, along with one of their highest scores and highest finishes at DCI Championships. I'm pretty sure it is going to be just fine.

Congratulations to the Crossmen, and best of luck this season!

Edited by drewbugler

Rookie DMs are nothing new...

Here are a few I remember from the Crossmen:

Mark Metz 76-78

Dr. Mark Metz, DCI and WGI Visual Judge

Dr. Mark Metz, a former music educator, is a psychologist who specializes in the treatment of children and adolescents. He received a B.S. in Music Education and an M.A. in Clinical Psychology from West Chester University, a Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology from West Virginia University, and a Clinical Fellowship from Harvard Medical School. He has taught at all educational levels from elementary through graduate school.

Mark remains active in all aspects of pageantry, and brings with him over 30 years of experience as a performer, instructor, designer, coordinator, consultant, and adjudicator. His affiliations include a long list of notable programs, including the Reading Buccaneers, Crossmen, and Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps; the Cavaliers and Threshold Winter Guards; and numerous championship high school marching units most recently, the North Penn Marching Knights of Lansdale, PA. Mark is a former Judge Administrator and Director of Education who has served as a clinician and championship-level adjudicator throughout North America. His current national affiliations include Drum Corps International and Winter Guard International.

Bret Mascaro and Jill Moyer (79-80)

Bret Mascaro (now a DCI judge) and Jill Moyer (now part of the DCI contest staff)

______

I'm sure there have been others... but these are just the ones I marched with.

Edited by xbones7480

Why?

because it is bullcrap.

whoever Malambo and Hop are should feel the need to watch their mouth and be respectful. Clearly speaking with immaturity.

Congrats to Megs and Michael, the guy and gal with the hands I'll be looking for this, my ageout, season! I'm sure he will be a great addition to our family.

Edited by show_mellow

because it is bullcrap.

whoever Malambo and Hop are should feel the need to watch their mouth and be respectful. Clearly speaking with immaturity.

Oh get over yourself. If people happen to think that drum majors should come from within the corps, that doesnt mean their opinions are bullcrap. Besides, the thread was started as a simply an announcement, not to mention that people are very positive about the dm coming out of the northeast. But, being as you are much more mature than the people making these arguments, i guess its ok for you completely ignore the point of the thread, and bash everybody over the head with your opinion which is clearly and unequivocally right. :worthy:

Hey now, all I did was sincerely congratulate the two Drum Majors on being appointed/reappointed to their positions (congrats again). And then I simply laughed at what was clearly meant to be a joke.

Personally, I agree that this thread is crap... I also believe that this is the internet.

In addition to this, I am a strong believer in choosing the best Drum Majors for the job. In its most basic sense, anyone with the required skillset can be a good drum major. Rookie, vet, who cares! Conduct the corps, oversee the day to day runnings of the corps, good job! The leadership aspect can be developed over the course of the drum major's first season. And seeing as how Meg is a long time drum corps vet, the rookie has a good role model to learn from for his first year.

Let's not forget that anyone, rookie or vet, can go over the top or do an underwhelming job. No one can know how successful any one individual will be at his drum majorial duties until they have been given a chance to do the job. The preseason screening process is designed to pick the best candidate based on evidence of the necessary foundations. With each and every new drum major there is a degree of unknown in regards to how the individual will react to their newly gifted responsibilities.

That being said, my sincerest congratulations (now for the third time) to the 2009 Crossmen Drum Majors. May you both enjoy your season, and best of wishes to the rookie in his quest to becoming a successful drum major. I look forward to seeing some amazing conducting this year.

Okay, internet, you may now resume your usual activities.

Hey now, all I did was sincerely congratulate the two Drum Majors on being appointed/reappointed to their positions (congrats again). And then I simply laughed at what was clearly meant to be a joke.

Personally, I agree that this thread is crap... I also believe that this is the internet.

In addition to this, I am a strong believer in choosing the best Drum Majors for the job. In its most basic sense, anyone with the required skillset can be a good drum major. Rookie, vet, who cares! Conduct the corps, oversee the day to day runnings of the corps, good job! The leadership aspect can be developed over the course of the drum major's first season. And seeing as how Meg is a long time drum corps vet, the rookie has a good role model to learn from for his first year.

Let's not forget that anyone, rookie or vet, can go over the top or do an underwhelming job. No one can know how successful any one individual will be at his drum majorial duties until they have been given a chance to do the job. The preseason screening process is designed to pick the best candidate based on evidence of the necessary foundations. With each and every new drum major there is a degree of unknown in regards to how the individual will react to their newly gifted responsibilities.

That being said, my sincerest congratulations (now for the third time) to the 2009 Crossmen Drum Majors. May you both enjoy your season, and best of wishes to the rookie in his quest to becoming a successful drum major. I look forward to seeing some amazing conducting this year.

Okay, internet, you may now resume your usual activities.

geeze I get your point already that you congratulate them!!! :worthy: