The Brigs New Direction- Will it work?

This is not a comment specifically geared to the Brigs, but to the observation that DCA is doing more of what DCI is doing. I would rather have DCA keep more to its own style; playing more accessible fan friendly music, and not become "DCI Light". There is room for both styles within the spectrum of drum corps. Most DCA shows can appeal to the casual fan who doesn't have the musical background to appreciate the more sophistocated material that DCI corps perform.

DCA corps have already switched to B flats, and amplification has been proposed but, (at least for now,) been rejected. In ten years, will the distinction between DCI and DCA be negligible? Will only alumni corps, most of which do a limited (or no) drill, be the only venue where fans can hear traditional drum corps music?

DCI is great, and DCA has been on the upswing in recent years, but let's keep them as separate entities.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a comment specifically geared to the Brigs, but to the observation that DCA is doing more of what DCI is doing. I would rather have DCA keep more to its own style; playing more accessible fan friendly music, and not become "DCI Light". There is room for both styles within the spectrum of drum corps. Most DCA shows can appeal to the casual fan who doesn't have the musical background to appreciate the more sophistocated material that DCI corps perform.

DCA corps have already switched to B flats, and amplification has been proposed but, (at least for now,) been rejected. In ten years, will the distinction between DCI and DCA be negligible? Will only alumni corps, most of which do a limited (or no) drill, be the only venue where fans can hear traditional drum corps music?

DCI is great, and DCA has been on the upswing in recent years, but let's keep them as separate entities.

DCI will always be way different from DCA in one way: QUALITY. Back to the equation for success: TALENT+EFFORT+TIME+LUCK.

All other things being equal, the TIME factor is WAY HIGHER for DCI. I did my time in DCI and DCA. DCI spends a lot more time on things. The uniformity IS NOT there in DCA, and that takes the most time. Yeah, yeah, yeah...DCA is entertaining (I guess), and it certainly is loud! But quality compared to DCI? C'mon. DCI rehearses 5X as many hours as DCA.

On your first point, i disagree.

I think the type of a show that is rewarded is actually a very trendy thing in all of these competitive art forms.

The real question has nothing to do with me. I think i made it very clear that i am a brigs fan. I dont have a problem with it. My question was a general discussion of what people think of the new direction. Where did i imply that i couldnt "Deal" with it?

Where also did i even mention the blue devils? You mention them several times but i didnt.

The brigs are the brigs, i agree with that. But if you look into thier history, (especially thier competitively succesful history), its very Jazz oriented.

Im sure the blue devils also could play more than one style. I never doubted thiers or anyone corps ability to change styles, but you have to admit that it will draw some curiosity as to why.

Thats all i wanted.

Thank you for your attempt to make this personal and to make it sound as though i "attacked" them.

jm

With all due respect... how is this year's show a discernable change?

I think it's great that you're talking about the corps and keeping people interested, but there wasn't an identifiable trend: Moulin Rouge, a tribute style show, then Hazo ... was there a logical next move, but somehow what you're doing is outrageously different?

If Cabs did Irish music, that would be headline news.

This league is still about 3 things: Attendance, Attendance, Attendance.

And if you can do 20 run-throughs before Wildwood, you could win the whole thing.

I think the Brigs will be fine. It's up to them to define what "fine" will mean when the scores are announced.

This is not a comment specifically geared to the Brigs, but to the observation that DCA is doing more of what DCI is doing. I would rather have DCA keep more to its own style; playing more accessible fan friendly music, and not become "DCI Light".

:cool:

I agree.....

The corps identities in DCA still remain very strong.....I can't say the same for DCI. That is what I like most about DCA....a wide range of music from corps that still have strong identities.

In regards to the Brig's style change.....well quite simply....I would much rather hear them present jazz. There is nothing wrong with a corps experimenting a bit here and there.....but sometimes you have to go back (To jazz in the Brigs case) a bit to go forward.

:cool:

I agree.....

The corps identities in DCA still remain very strong.....I can't say the same for DCI. That is what I like most about DCA....a wide range of music from corps that still have strong identities.

In regards to the Brig's style change.....well quite simply....I would much rather hear them present jazz. There is nothing wrong with a corps experimenting a bit here and there.....but sometimes you have to go back (To jazz in the Brigs case) a bit to go forward.

The only identity that matters is Excellence. If corps X is always excellent, regardless of genre, I'm happy. If corps Z continues to persue a "musical identity" at the expense of excellence ["Hey, at least they played Jazz! Yay!"], then I don't care.

If corps Z continues to persue a "musical identity" at the expense of excellence ["Hey, at least they played Jazz! Yay!"], then I don't care.

I don't think there are to many DCA or DCI corps that toss excellence aside for anything. To much time is sacrificed for that to happen.

The only identity that matters is Excellence. If corps X is always excellent, regardless of genre, I'm happy.

Excellence with a boring show choice and presentation is just that.....boring.