My review of the top 12 from the DVD's

Keep the reviews coming, I am enjoying your perspective!

On the field, from Canton Ohio, performing their 2002 program "Urban Dances", Ladies and Gentlemen please welcome, The Bluecoat!!!!

BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Wow, you know it's amazing how much this corps has improved and matured since 2000. I honestly thought they should have had 6th place. That opening statement worked really well, setting up for the mad morning commute to the office. Wow, look at those rifles go. Listen to those two soprano's smoke it up. Good tempo, good form evolution, the show is smoking. Oh a little bit of foot phasing in the dimond at the center of the field. (when they go back then forward). Oh, that contra player just stepped on someones foot in the background (while showing the two soprano's in the ballad), but he didn't fall down, nice recovery. Nice job of actually doing something with your drumline during the ballad rather than have them stand off to the side. Gosh, how did glassmen beat these guys in brass? Ok, picking up the tempo, it's time to have some fun! "TAX-I!" very nice addition from the corps! Ah yes, there is that famous slap on the rear from the colorguard woman. Not wanting to pass up the opportunity, I like how he finishes and slaps her rear too. LOL. Forms are really evolving now, high velocity and intensity. Well, that was the end....very nice job. Can't wait to see you next year.

Glassmen:

Ok, I'll just come out and get it over with right now. These uniforms drive me nuts! There is no color at all, drives me insane. What happened to the glass mirror? And now, on with the show. Guard does a nice job of highlighting the solo'ist at the beginning without distracting to much. Here comes that 4th place drumline. The one that started out the season using Mylar heads that sounded soooooo sweet. But nooooo, they had to go back to Kevlar. I hate the way Kevlar sounds. EVIL! The show is really moving now, intensity is building. Oooo, a little bit of spacing problems right there. Nice job of building the climax and releasing all that energy. Flugal solo is terrific. Javalin is just marvelous. Holy cow, huge foot phasing right there. Even with black pants that was hard to miss. Guard has been doing a great job throughout this entire show. Aside from Javalin, this show is really lacking some GE. Which was their main problem according to the recaps. The evolution of the forms at the end is intriguing. Nicely done. I'll have to agree with the judges here. 8th place was about right. Brass placement is questionable though.

Crossmen:

I love how the corps enters the field here. Snares are laying down some nice groves on the high hats, add in the brass now. Very rhythmically driven piece. Corps does a fabulous job of capturing the audiences attention. Those first 60 secs of a show are so crucial. MARTHA!!!!!! (will it ever end? *shakes head* ) The corps is doing a very nice job of controling the ballad here, creating some nice highs and lows. Ooooo someone nailed a note at the end there. Hmm, forms could have snapped a little bit better during the being of this piece after the ballad. Drumline is just lighting up the field! Isn't it intriguing how 4th through 8th place percussion spots were seperated by .1? Interesting.....indeed. I like how the tenors fading out one by one, very neat effect. Great show from the Crossmen!

Spirit:

Well, I suppose a welcome back is in order here :whip: Wow, the corps wastes no time getting your attention. The show is evolving nicely. Some minor form clarity issues here and there. OOooo look at that cymbal line go! Oh, I love this effect here in the triangle, back and forth...and back and forth with the horns. Some pretty dark haunting sounds. In the ballad now. Nicely done mellophone player. Ditto the soprano. Is it a ballad or is it a corale? *shrug* A boat's a boat, but the mystery box could be anything, it could even be a boat! You know how much we've always wanted one of those!! We'll take the box!! Ah sorry, heh, coming out of the ballad now....picking up tempo. Some minor form clarity issues with the lines coming across the field. Visually some nice things happening out there. Ooh drumline was a little to loud there. Need to take that down to a happy 6. Some timing issues with the guard here at the end. Form is wrapping into the box now. Setting up into the Delta. Classy!!! Very nicely done. (side note: snareline should have had black heads)