My review of the top 12 from the DVD's

Well, I am extremely bored and wanted something to do. I have decided to do a review of finals 2002 as watched from the DVD's. Why am I doing this? Mainly because I said some pretty cheap stuff about the Cavaliers in my Normal, IL review. Now that I've had a chance to watch these shows over and over and over again, and on the top 6 hear the designers view and other commentary I'd like to do a re-review and offer my honest opinions about the 2002 finalists.

Cavaliers:

After watching the DVD's several times and listening to the commentary I now respect what they did and were trying to accomplish. I still don't like the show though. Well I take that back. I've come to like the music a little bit more and honestly if it wasn't for the fight club scene I would have liked the show. I don't know, it just seemed very out of place and not to fit into the overall show, especially when they do it again at the end. Just very out of place and odd. It was like it was added because someone thought it was cool, and then the audience loved it and it just snowballed from there. But yeah, I think the rhythm section of Frameworks could have been done differently and better. Speaking of rhythm section, I thought that 10 snares was way overkill. It could have very well costs them the drum trophy. Who knows though, I mean, the Green Machine has always been know for having a pretty big drumline. I wonder what Bixby would have thought. I miss Bixby :( I can say that I'm not a huge fan of the guard outfits. Again, it's something I think that could have been conveyed the same but with something different. A little too much guys in tight clothes from the Cavies these past two years. Not to say that the guard didn't kick ### though. Well overall in the general scheme of things, the show will definitely be remembered and discussed (controversy and all) for several years to come (a la Star 93),

Blue Devils:

A classic Blue Devils show. The guard outfits are a little too colorful for my tastes. I really like the ragtime piece. I really wish that they would play more of it in the future. I can't say that I really like Channel One. It just seemed way to short. Man those uniforms are sharp! Even after 8 years, the design still looks futuristic. Again, another huge snare line. What gives? When did it become cool to have a huge line? I remember back in 96 when like almost everybody had 7 or 8 snares. Seems like now 9 is quickly becoming the standard. Even on some of these small corps like Pioneer they had 6 or 7 snares. It was way over powering. Mean while back at the ranch. House of the rising sun is on now. Classic Blue Devils! And when the soprano turns back field to finish with that high note?.Goose bump city!!!! Overall, I really liked how they portrayed the evolution of Jazz music.

Coming up later tonight, Cadets and Santa Clara Vanguard, but right now I have to get ready for work 'n stuff.

Edited by gumby5647

I've come to like the music a little bit more and honestly if it wasn't for the fight club scene I would have liked the show. 

Just very out of place and odd.  It was like it was added because someone thought it was cool, and then the audience loved it and it just snowballed from there.

:whip:

I want to put this in my signature!!

Continuing on with my review (sorry for the delay) SCV and Cadets are up next.

Cadets: DISCLAIMER: This will probably be the harshest review of the twelve. If you are a die-hard Cadets fan, read at your own risk.

Please understand that I am not "anti-Cadets" or anything. They have put several great shows on the field that I love (87, 89, 96, 97,98, 99). But I have a real problem with this show, which I'll explain below.

First let me get what I don't like out of the way. My main gripe is the GE. In my opinion this was the most tasteless GE show in DCI history. I am sorry, but I have a HUGE problem with exploiting current controversial affairs, just so you can gain some GE. Of course by that I mean the Pledge of Allegiance. If I remember right, this was added to the show after the big controversy in California erupted and newspapers all over America were talking about it. If you watch the DVD's, after they get done saying the Pledge, the camera pans over the audience. You would expect to see this huge crowd reaction with people standing and clapping, but they aren't. About 3/4 of the crowd just sat there and didn't do anything....some did clap and cheer. Ok that was gripe number one.

Gripe number two is the whole September 11 firemen scene in the back. Listen, I understand your connection with New York and how you could see everything just across the river. But again, it's that whole thing of exploiting something very tragic and very terrible (not even a year after it happened) just so you could get GE points. Personally, I was very offended by it. In fact there was a HUGE discussion on this in "In the Stands" when we found out that they were looking for firemen hats and clothes. Most of the responses were not very positive.

I'll leave the fire trucks at the end thing alone. I don't know if Hop bought that (I'd like to think he didn't) or if he told them to do it, or they just did it because they heard what the Cadets were doing and wanted "to do their part". The fact is, we'll probably never know the whole story behind it, so I'm not going to go into it.

All right, believe it or not, I actually do have some good things to say!

The opening number is catchy. I dig it. What is the guard saying? Whether the staff liked the way it was done or not, I like how the percussion feature was presented. Again, another HUGE drumline! Ah, the ballad is on now. Very gorgeous. The whole dressing on the field thing is rather odd, but I can see how it fits into everything. The pledge however did not. Ohhhh here we go!! Its time for some boogie woogie bugle boy, (played on Bb trumpets LOL). Yummy, gotta love that snare break! I understand that they wanted to portray this as a stage piece and be up front and almost sideline for it, but you simply can't stay there for the entire song and not expect to get nailed for it by the judges. BWBB took a big chunk out of the Visual score, and probably why they got 4th in that caption. Sorry Hoppy, but you simple can't just stand still for almost an entire song and then try to make up for it in the end by going extra fast and doing fancy drill. It doesn't work like that. Again, the closer is pretty catchy.

Overall it's a pretty controversial show. The timing of the show was just not right. If they had put this on the field in 99 or 00 or even 01 (sans firemen), I probably wouldn't have had a problem with it. (because 9-11 hadn't happened and the Pledge thing wasn't around) Musically I liked it, but like I said before, Visually and GE wise it was extremely questionable. I'm a little worried about the direction of the Cadets, especially with Hoppy at the wheel. He may be ready to take Drum Corps into its next evolutionary stage, but I'm not exactly sure Drum Corps Fan's are ready to go with him. The next few years will be interesting, both on and off the field.

Up next, the Santa Clara Vanguard!!!

SCV: First off, I don't like the new uniforms. Actually, the front is ok, but the back is too dark, if they had used the old back with some red, they would have been better. I think the green is a little lighter than the old one. Again, this is one of those shows that I'm not terribly fond of the music but I understand the show (even without needing to listen to the commentary). You have these shapes. Each one represents a musical piece. Each piece's drill reflects that shape. And at the end, you get "bombarded" with a revisit of each shape and sound.

I like the opener. It grabs your attention right away, presenting each one of the shapes we are about to see. Those flags with the elastic band are pretty cool, a pretty ingenious idea. At the climax of the ballad with those purple flags...goose bump city! A pretty tasty drum break as well! It's nice to see Vanguard still marching cymbals. Oh and those ending drill moves kick butt. Finishing off in the Vanguard "V", very classy. Well, a short review of a great SCV show. It would have been a tough call, but I think I would have put Vanguard over Cadets on finals night. Tough call though.

Stay tuned for Phantom Regiment and Boston Crusaders!!!!

*edit: AHHHHH stupid F'ing M$ Word formatting!!! What is it with the quotation and Contraction symbols turning to question marks?

Edited by gumby5647

Phantom Regiment and Boston Crusaders.

Phantom Regiment: First off. Welcome Back!!! Good to see you back in the top 5! I really like the uniforms. However, I think I would have used a red sash for this show. Also would have gone with red wine drums. (that yellow sucked) Russia and red go together, especially during this time period. Ok who was the guy in the audience that shouted "alright Regiment, loud is good!" ? LOL. Ok, I'll admit that I didn?t understand part of the show at first. I did have to listen to the commentary to understand what the second and third sketches were supposed to be about. Having heard that, everything makes sense now.

I thought they did a fairly good job with the first sketch. Some very tasty soprano licks going on. Probably the best horn line they have had since 96. It was pretty gutsy to put every girl on rifle for the first half of the opener. At times you can really tell which girls aren?t that strong at rifle. I find it kind of odd that they placed 5th at semi's but were dropped to 7th on finals. I always liked the pose that they struck throughout the opener. It looks like they are flipping you off.

I'm voting this the best ballad on the field for 2002. It's very lush and beautiful. Some people thought that it sounded hurried and was to fast. I have to disagree. It perfectly conveys the bitter sweet mood of the piece. Listen to that low brass! They are going to be great in 03! The third sketch was a bit to fast and choppy for my tastes. A bit of foot phasing going on as well. That's not good. Here comes the crab step! Heh heh SWEEEET!

Here's the climax of the closer. I like how the horns and guard come together and then the chevron (more foot phasing!! Grrr ) into the power kneel!!!! CORPSGASIM!!!! DO IT AGAIN!!!

Overall, as much as I am a Regiment phan, this show didn't have what it took to be top four material. Maybe if the percussion had been better and the drill a bit more difficult and the visual package a bit more developed it could have made it.

Boston Crusaders:

First off, I don't like these new uniforms (do I sound like a broken record yet? lol ) I liked the old ones with more piping. Again another HUGE drumline...

This show is a bit to cheesy for my tastes. The banners and singing were just a little bit too much. I can't say I like the opening arrangement of Appalachian Spring. Honestly, IMO, It's one of those songs that needs to be retired to the drum corps song hall of fame, along with Bolero and Malaguena and West Side Story. It's been done great by the Cadets in 87, and just simply been over done since then.

The paintings were cool. I probably would have chosen some different people. And there's that singing....and those banners again ampssuck

Some foot phasing going on in the Jazz section. Kind of hard to see...stupid black pants.

Ew, those drum licks just did not fit in at the Appalachian Spring part after the Jazz section.

And, there are those banners again!!

Coming to the ending now. Hey look is the corps made American flag. Didn't I just see that? Why yes I did, the Cadets 02, and Star 92. Note to Boston: Generally that works much better if you have white pants.

Show wise it was a good show. A little too cheesy for me like I said. Honestly I don?t think it should have tied for 5th, Bluecoats should have had 6th place. More on that next...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall I was very disappointed with the top 6 shows. I only liked 2 of them and understood 3 1/2 of them. Is this the direction we want to be going? Where in order to understand a show we have to listen to the commentary on the DVD? If that's the case why not just hand out little "program notes" for each corps and their show like Phantom did with Spartacus. *shrug*

Edited by gumby5647

Wow, honest opinions without being flamed by the PC crowd. You sir, have my respect.

Again another HUGE drumline...

Again, another huge snare line. What gives? When did it become cool to have a huge line?

What's wrong with large lines? It's about time lines are having some decent numbers.

I seem to recall Crossmen having some HUGE snarelines in the 80's which were darn clean (thank you Mark Thurston, drumline staff, and the players in that line).

ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that.

• 2 weeks later...

The Cadets guard was singing along, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. I heard the guard (yes, HEARD) warming up to the opener (On The Town, Bernstein) and they had their own lyrics to go with it.... it started of with 'Run run run as fast as you can..... and I didn't hear the rest. I THINK that's what I heard.

Edited by Brasskitten

The Cadets guard was singing along, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. I heard the guard (yes, HEARD) warming up to the opener (On The Town, Bernstein) and they had their own lyrics to go with it.... it started of with 'Run run run as fast as you can..... and I didn't hear the rest. I THINK that's what I heard.

sounds right............

oh man, i need to get off my butt and finish the rest of this....