Spokane/Cascades Merger

IMPORTANT THUNDER ANNOUNCEMENT

JANUARY 3, 2009

To Spokane Thunder Members, Prospects, and Parents:

Over the past few days the Greater Spokane Drum Corps Association (GDSCA) Board of Directors has made some strategic decisions regarding the Pacific Northwest Drum Corps experience and Spokane Thunder in particular. In an effort to provide a positive drum corps experience and to make our drum corps more successful, we have decided to join with the Northwest Youth Music Association (NYMA) which is the sponsor of the Cascades. We are pleased to announce a new "Drum Corps Northwest" initiative, which will streamline business management for our two Drum Corps. We also hope to increase fund-raising success by cooperative endeavors which will provide immediate improvement in the financial health of each organization, and will set the stage for continued success for future Pacific Northwest drum corps activity.

In order to provide the best opportunity for all current Cascade and Spokane Thunder members for the 2009 season, we have decided to merge our two drum corps together for this touring season. The Cascades have a terrific staff, and we are exploring opportunities to combine our staffs where possible. Together we believe the Pacific Northwest will be well-represented in DCI, and you will have a great experience. It is our full intent to re-emerge the Spokane Thunder for the 2010 season as an Open Class Corps.

The Cascades and Thunder will be holding a special clinic at Mead High School (302 W Hastings Rd, Spokane WA 99218) Saturday, January 10, 2009, from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. I highly encourage all Thunder members and prospects to attend this mini-camp and get to know the Cascade staff and the 2009 program. There will be no fee for this special camp, and you will be responsible for your own lunch. (You can either bring a lunch, or there are fast food outlets not far from the school). Please visit the Cascade website http://www.seattlecascades.org to download the music that will be the focus of this clinic. Also, please bring your own instrument if possible. We will have Thunder instruments available if needed. There will be an informational meeting for all parents at about 9:30, and we encourage all parents to come! The GSDCA and NYMA Board members will be there to discuss our plans and to answer any questions.

I highly recommend that all current and prospective Spokane Thunder members come to the January 10 clinic. If you cannot attend this clinic, but still are still interested in joining us this summer, the regular Cascade January camp will be held January 24 in Yakima, WA. For planning purposes, please send me a reply message if you plan to attend the January 10 clinic, or the January 24 camp. Please see the Cascades’ website for registration forms, information and directions.

It has been an honor and a privilege to have been your Director over the last year. You truly represent the “best of the best” and your horizons are limitless!

Rich Harvey

Corps Director

Spokane Thunder Drum & Bugle Corps

Source- http://spokanethunder.org/index%5B1%5D.htm

This is.... interesting. Sucks for this to happen to Spokane, especially after the best season the corps has ever had. Any thoughts on what this might mean for the future of the two programs involved?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me as a total outsider to be a great thing. I always hear that having a drum corps in the NW is tough, so instead of having two trying to make it, why not pool all your resources and make a very nice, successful, and educational corps? Makes sense to me. Wish the corps the best!

It's a good idea...

Unless this corps fails too.

In which case the Cascades go down and take the Thunder with them.

Could be great, but I'm not 100 percent sold on this one.

Being an alum of Thunder, I don't like this one bit. Thunder has worked so hard over the years to become it's own entity, have it's own history, and own traditions. I was part of it when we rode the bus for a week, had Subway sandwiches three meals a day, and played 6 shows in exhibition, and I was there when Thunder made it to Open Class finals last year. I'd love to see the day Thunder makes the leap to World Class, and heck, even make a run at the big prize one day. Obviously that's a long way down the road, but Thunder is on the upswing, and this definitely seems like a step in the wrong direction.

I've heard many rumors over the years that Cascades wanted to have Thunder as it's feeder corps, but every time Thunder rejected. Now (as it appears to me) a Cascades take over? I see one of two things happening:

1) Cascades does well in competition and gets slightly bigger due to local interest and they are "the World Class corps."

2) Cascades does average or so in competition and gets no additional recruitment due to some members and several DC prospects wanting to join an upper tier corps.

I personally think the first option for the Cascades will be what happens to them. They have a stellar staff. But there won't be enough "leftovers" that will march for Thunder, meaning:

1) Thunder's past competitiveness in Open Class and hopes for one day possibly ever being a World Class corps takes a big hit, and/or

2) Thunder folds.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy, but something is fishy in the water. The only group I see benefiting from this is Cascades in the long run. I see this as their attempt to refuel their reserves with much of the talent in the Northwest. Obviously there are more details that have yet to be known and I hope against all hope that I am wrong and Thunder will emerge stronger than ever, but I fear for the future of Thunder.

somewhat not surprising, but quite unexpected.

I am sad. It was fun and exciting to root for two northwest corps in open class. I really hope they come back in 2010.

to be absolutley honest... im kinda scared as to what will happen... hopefully this is truly a right decision but im kinda thinking that it is not in agreeance to (Thunder_1M1)..im just not sure what to think...im just gonna go with it and have fun either way.

Edited by Bariphonium07

I was 75% sure that the Cascades would never hit the field for 2009 before the season started. I'm still not convinced. I don't live in the NW anymore, but unless Thunder members really do choose to join Cascades en masse and recruiting steps up, the corps will either not field or fail.

And I just saw that Cascades is more than $200 more expensive than Oregon Crusaders this year, with OC offering Vet discounts and Early Payment discounts, and requires tour fees begin to be paid in January!? Doesn't look smart.

Edited by PurpleKnights