Bass Drummers Union from 1970's

I have heard of it. Yes they had union cards. I never marched bass, but I know several guys who did, who belonged. They aren't here, but I will ty to contact them.

Mike, Thanks - you could PM me through this site if they don't want to share their info with the rest of the world.

I remember you dissing the "twirlly handle" cymbals from the early 70's on the Scouts Cymbal Line face book page.

I found a photo of them and put it up on that page. I actually had one of my cymbals that broke during 1975 finals and discarded it years ago (stupid me).

The bolted twirlly handles not only sounded like crap but being bolted on created a lot of breakage from the snares pounding on them.

hmmmm.......actually turned into a really good thread... :tongue:

too funny!

Mike, Thanks - you could PM me through this site if they don't want to share their info with the rest of the world.

I remember you dissing the "twirlly handle" cymbals from the early 70's on the Scouts Cymbal Line face book page.

I found a photo of them and put it up on that page. I actually had one of my cymbals that broke during 1975 finals and discarded it years ago (stupid me).

The bolted twirlly handles not only sounded like crap but being bolted on created a lot of breakage from the snares pounding on them.

It's not that I don't want to share, I honestly don't remember the details.

And the twirlly handles...that is definately a, "Was that outloud", moment. I hated those things though. They gave us a set to try out and I didn't even want them near my plates. What size did you play?

It's not that I don't want to share, I honestly don't remember the details.

I actually meant if your friends don't want to put their info on the internet I would understand.

Many from "our generation" don't like their personal info scattered all over the internet.

And the twirlly handles...that is definately a, "Was that outloud", moment. I hated those things though. They gave us a set to try out and I didn't even want them near my plates. What size did you play?

I truthfully don't remember the size of our cymbals. I'm quite sure they were a bit smaller than those that are carried today.

And don't worry about your "outloud moment", many a judge had a thing or two to say about those things. I remember the first camp in the winter prior to

1976 when Fred Sanford took over the line. The first thing he had the cymbals do was unbolt those stupid handles and put on leather straps. Then he says

"see, that is what a cymbal is supposed to sound like". Fred was a great drum instructor (to say the least)- not so good at being the program coordinator though.