History of the "Bloo!"

This is from WIKI so take it for what it's worth.

The signature "Blooo" began during Finals Week in 1987, when the corps was vying for its first-ever Top 12 appearance at the Drum Corps International World Championships. The corps' signature song of Autumn Leaves was the middle song of the repertoire in 1987 and included an expanded snare line. Featuring the original snare line plus the quad line and several pit ensemble members, the line's drum-to-drum stickwork at the end of the "drum break" led to a frenzied and fortissimo ending of the song that drove the crowd to their feet. The resulting "Blooo" and applause lasted a full 30-seconds before the corps was able to continue its finale. As such, the tradition was born. In 1988 the corps featured a record 20-snare drum-to-drum section in a reprisal of Autumn Leaves

WRONG!! Blooing was around long before they were even a Div. I corps. My brother marched back in the late 70's with a corps called the Buckeye State Caballeros. So we saw plenty of Bluecoats and Glassmen at his shows, since it was regional. I am going to guess that Blooing started somewhere in the late 70's. I remember shows in the early 80's where they were "blooing." I think the "blooing" mentioned in 1987 was more of it catching on with the casual fan, at that time.

Edited by crfrey71

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite "explaining to a rookie" moment was in 07 at the (practically-'coats-homeshow) in Centerville, Ohio [which, by the way was a fantastic show and when cavies were announced third the crowd exploded and when bd was announced second I'm pretty sure some people peed their pants with excitement]. Anyway, my friend and I were sitting by the mother of a bluecoats member- her son was just the best and the brightest at everything and she couldn't wait to see him perform for the first time. When the Blooing began she literally started crying and screaming at the people around her that we were being rude, disrespectful etc. It took my friend and I a good several minutes to calm her down and explain everything. She was so embarrassed, and we still laugh about it today.