Soprano/Trumpet as Carry-on Bag

G-horns

I've traveled with a valveless bugle without any issues(circa 2003). One TSA type wanted me to play it after X-ray, but I cautioned her about the woes of a trombonist playing a rexcraft, and continued on my merry way. You'd probably have to ditch the valve oil in these times. And they changed baggage policy, so it might be too big now, or you have to pay extra or some other thing. I drive given a choice, it's generally cheaper (even at $3.00 a gallon) than flying and you don't have to rent a car when you get there. Or pay airport parking. Or give up your deodorant, valve oil, mouth wash, root beer, nail clippers, ....., ....., ....., ....., ...... in the process. And worse case scenario, you have a place to sleep at night.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you know I use a Parduba!?!?

Tenor saxes are a bit too long for overhead storage. My case is smaller.

Yup, I'm out for CNY and flying on Southwest. Maybe if I tell 'em I'm in the parade I'll get a free bag of nuts. Heh.

I figured I'd leave the mouthpiece with the horn so if TSA wants a concert, I'm ready. The TSA website says "brass instruments should be checked", but don't let it out of your site so you can supervise repacking in the event of an inspection. So I'm leaning toward carry-on and take my chances with TSA. I'll also have my corps jacket, so it might mean a search is warranted. Oooohhhhh. That feels gooooooddd!

And it's too far to drive in a day.

My band did some in-country and international traveling, and the trumpet players never had any trouble with their horns in terms of security. Nor did I have problems hanging on to valve oil, which did surprise me, but the bottle is pretty small so I suppose that helps.

I work for a domestic airline - no problem.

I worked for an International airline (one on which Yo Yo Ma and Rostopovitch often brought their cellos in First Class - an $11,000 ticket round trip).

No problem with a trumpet as carry-on.

don't bring more than 3 oz of valve oil.

You still want t protective bag - folks are animals shoving their crap into the overhead. Animals!

You'll be cool.

My son carries his trumpet with him everywhere he goes, and he goes constantly.

You can even do it with a trombone - but you have to smile a lot and act nice, as it's actually too big.

Do the pre-boarding for people with small children. Tell them your horn costs $10,000 and it's like your child.

Airline people have soft chewy centers.

having traveled with many instruments... i've only been asked about my mouthpiece.. it was a newbie doing the x-ray... and she got made fun of it real bad as I was walking away. I've never had a problem with oil, or any of the 5 bottles of stuff i have in my trombone case at times.... but yeah I had to check my trombone at the gate once... it was a full flight, but when it's not a full flight they usually don't mind.

oh i also usually always fly southwest... and they are always so nice about everything... it's scary sometimes..

How did you know I use a Parduba!?!?

Tenor saxes are a bit too long for overhead storage. My case is smaller.

Yup, I'm out for CNY and flying on Southwest. Maybe if I tell 'em I'm in the parade I'll get a free bag of nuts. Heh.

I figured I'd leave the mouthpiece with the horn so if TSA wants a concert, I'm ready. The TSA website says "brass instruments should be checked", but don't let it out of your site so you can supervise repacking in the event of an inspection. So I'm leaning toward carry-on and take my chances with TSA. I'll also have my corps jacket, so it might mean a search is warranted. Oooohhhhh. That feels gooooooddd!

And it's too far to drive in a day.

Larry,

How could you possibly have a problem while wearing THAT corps jacket?????

Have a good trip and a great time!!!!

Ray

I saw a guy get a bari sax on a plane once. It's just a matter of walking quickly and with purpose. If you're in the AFM they can supply letters that basically say "this is the tool of my livelihood, leave it alone."