Olds P/R 'french' horn bugle

Penn State

Came across this on ebay, an F.E. Olds piston/rotor 'french' horn bugle. Thought someone around here might be in the market for this...btw...I'm not selling this horn.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Ultratone-F-E-...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Nice horn , too bad the guys opening bid is way too high . Sometimes people just dont realize what they have in these old valve-rotor bugles . Even the Alumni corps are getting away from them .Add in that this a frenchie .I don,t think anybody uses French horns anymore .Maybe Skyliners Alumni . I am in the St Kevins midrange section .Back in the "Day" Kevins was noted for their French horn section & that special sound .I think its sad that we don,t use Frenchies either. That horn is a nice collector .

Mike D.

I don't think the price is too far out of line. But it is the stuffy...errr...stubby model. If it was the long wrap BU-10, the price would be on the low side.

Is Sky Alumni using frenchies? I played one during the "Black Magic" years, but I'm not sure if they're still in the line. If they are, it would be good to know. Bill???

I don't think the price is too far out of line. But it is the stuffy...errr...stubby model. If it was the long wrap BU-10, the price would be on the low side.

Is Sky Alumni using frenchies? I played one during the "Black Magic" years, but I'm not sure if they're still in the line. If they are, it would be good to know. Bill???

Yes they are, Larry. Should I put one aside for you????

Ray

If it was the long wrap BU-10, the price would be on the low side.

Oh man.... those long Frenchies were sweet. Zero resistance. If you put a lot of air into the horn, the sound that came out was incredible.....and yes, LOUD!!!! LOL

If my memory serves me correctly, we used those long French horns in the Sunrisers when I marched there, for several years......In 1980, the four of us in the French horn line all started out on new two-valve horns, but by season's end I and another guy (my buddy Marty Roche) had switched back to the valve-rotor "long boys".....just better sound. Of course, neither one of us was what I'd call "shy" about putting some sound out there when it was called for....LOL

We kept the long horns around for 1981, but they were getting pretty beaten up.... so we all switched to new two-valves for the '82 season. Nice horns, good sound, but you couldn't quite bring the heat on them as much as you could on those long ones.

Fran

I have a BU-10 Olds & it is mint -new in the case with the papers .I love to take it out & play some of the old stuff on it .I dont know if my arms are old & weak or what ,but how did we march ,play ,& hold those longies up in the 60s without cracking too much. Man just sitting in a chair playing its tough to hold that bugle up .You cant beat the sound . Do you think the reason Corps don't use them is that they are tough to play in tune ?After playing the french ,if I switch to my King K-50 mell it feels light as a feather & lots easyer to play !

Mike D.

quote name='Ray Priester' date='Feb 9 2009, 05:11 PM' post='2473311']

Yes they are, Larry. Should I put one aside for you????

Ray

To me, the only good reason to drop frenchies is not having people that can play 'em and run around at 160 bpm. There is a definite difference in the overall blend when that french horn voice is absent.

You know , a couple of years ago I heard that a large group of people were going to get together at the GAS . They were all going to play 3 part tunes together on long frenchies .Did anybody else ever hear of the group ? I think their name had something to do with trains ,like Midnight Express . that would be a lot of fun. Polish up those Frenchies !

Mike D.

Edited by M. DeSouza