National Squad....... Which Corps first?

GABA

Mike you do not speak for all of us. I wish you would start saying. "This is what we did in our region and not all regions did the same thing"

Maybe that's why he said "some corps." It was pretty self-explanatory to me as a reader. Never thought for one second that he was trying to speak for anyone or that he meant ALL corps.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Esp when you realize that some corps had done away with a REAL honor guard even before DCI started, to eliminate the possibility of flag violations. Our color pre in 1971 (Battle Hymn) was done using faux American and British flags as part of the Revolutionaery War themed show, and we were not the only corps to do that sort of thing.

I am reminded of an early episode of the Simpsons where the Superintendent tours Springfield elementary to determine if the campus passes inspection. In one quick cut he's standing on a ladder looking at the flag and says, "48.. 49.. 50, very good Skinner, everything appears to be in order here."

When I was in Troopers in 2000 we had stylized Betsy Ross flags that did end up on the ground. I asked how Troop could do such a thing, and was told that these flags didn't have enough stars to count as Old Glory, the Union Jack was missing a few stripes, and that corps used to use this loophole all the time "back in the day."

:cool:

It's more a matter of money... these kids pay big bucks for a fixed number of seats on the bus, so I'm guessing corps aren't likely to bring a handful of kids to be in the Honor Guard.

some more of this....

wrap ourselves in the flag crap once again. I hope some of you find comfort in the stars and stripes. I'm glad you have found that sense of belonging.

Hey, let's make all drum corps members wear a flag lapel pin.

Did you intentionally miss the original point JUST to make THAT point? Congrats. You made your point.

some more of this....

wrap ourselves in the flag crap once again. I hope some of you find comfort in the stars and stripes. I'm glad you have found that sense of belonging.

Hey, let's make all drum corps members wear a flag lapel pin.

Extremely unnecessary and uncalled for. OP was stating his preference for the honor guard, not cramming it down your throat. It is fine to disagree but at least do it in a civil tone instead of being a jerk about it.

None! You take those 3-5 spots, and bring back your cymbal line or add to your tuba line etc... American Legion days are over!

In principle, this has nothing to do with the American Legion. However, having said that, in their service mission, I know that the American Legion has (and continues to have) significant impact on the lives of our veterans.

Some people have real hang ups with things like standing during the National Anthem, reciting the pledge, etc., and now seemingly even having a patriotic display of honoring our nation at a drum corps show. What's the big deal?

If it means so much to some... particularly those willing to die for our country... and so little to others, why not insert it if a corps chooses to do so? I find the above comment to be a sad reflection of how our society seems to devalue something so obviously important.

In principle, this has nothing to do with the American Legion. However, having said that, in their service mission, I know that the American Legion has (and continues to have) significant impact on the lives of our veterans.

Some people have real hang ups with things like standing during the National Anthem, reciting the pledge, etc., and now seemingly even having a patriotic display of honoring our nation at a drum corps show. What's the big deal?

If it means so much to some... particularly those willing to die for our country... and so little to others, why not insert it if a corps chooses to do so? I find the above comment to be a sad reflection of how our society seems to devalue something so obviously important.

You know as well as I do my friend, those that feel that our Colors are important probably served to protect them!

And those who minimize anything to do with God and Country, have been able to do so BECAUSE of those who have served!

See you this summer.....Oh yeah......GO NAVY! :thumbup: :thumbup: :worthy:

John Hoekstra

Extremely unnecessary and uncalled for. OP was stating his preference for the honor guard, not cramming it down your throat. It is fine to disagree but at least do it in a civil tone instead of being a jerk about it.

Completely necessary. This is not about soldiers dying for anything. That is the OT argument. This is about drum corps and after the 70s, corps decided for the most part, not to pay tribute to the military complex of the United States. The OPs original post was about corps bringing back the Honor Guard. This thread is clearly divided between those who believe because of patriotism and soldiers and dying and freedom, drum corps should perhaps reinstate an Honor Guard.

Want an honor guard? It occassionally shows up at retreat, when and if they have a retreat. It's not what you want if you watch closely. It's not even close to what you want...a recreation of military precision and respect. I think drum corps managers avoid it because of the costs mentioned above and also because of the potential for an appearance of disrespect that is a risk in fielding an Honor Guard. I have seen this with high school and some college marching bands. The degree of respect required when posting colors as an Honor Guard typically is not taught well. Unless someone is or has been part of a military Honor Guard, the procedures, practices, and most importantly, the reasons behind what an Honor Guard represents aren't well known, let alone being taught.

If you want to see military tradition remain in drum corps, there are ample examples still to be had including The Commandant's Own, DCA corps, etc.

There certainly will be patriotic offerings from drum corps again. But, devoting an honor guard to stand and sleep for 10 minutes in the end zone won't be part of it. Gone are the pistols the judges used to fire as well. It's another change in the evolution of drum corps.

The ties between the military trappings in drum corps still exist, however, they were significantly reduced when the Combine began resulting in DCI. By moving VFW and AL aside, drum corps moved from those requirements of honor guards, inspections and all the rest. For their part, VFWs and ALs lost another revenue stream although some continued to sponsor shows even though they weren't running drum corps circuits anymore.

Was this a more respectful answer? Certainly. But, my point remains. Our society really revels in the mediocre. We wear a flag lapel pin made in China...how does that help anyone of the struggling military familes? We put a yellow ribbon magnetic sticker on the back of our car. "I Support Our Troops." It might as well say, "I Support the Guy Who Makes These Yellow Ribbon Magnetic Stickers."

I hope to never see a non-Military Honor Guard again. On the other hand...standing in Arlington, on a damp spring morning, there is nothing so awe inspiring as a military Honor Guard performing their duties. Any imitation of this, by non-military personel, as part of a drum corps show, cheapens their work in my opinion.

If it means so much to some... particularly those willing to die for our country... and so little to others, why not insert it if a corps chooses to do so?

If a corps chooses to do that...great! Or, if a corps chooses to do a patriotic show, as the Cadets did a few years back, also great!

The difference here is that the OP seems...note the word "seems"...to be wanting DCI itself to bring back the honor guard.

Supporting that idea or not supporting that idea has NO bearing on how a person thinks about the men and women who serve in the military, now or in the past, and protect this country...or how patriotic such as person is.

I find the above comment to be a sad reflection of how our society seems to devalue something so obviously important.

Why is plopping an honor guard in the corner "so obviously important"? IMO it's window dressing. It says nothing at all about patriotism or supporting the country. A person may be 100% against such a mandate, yet still as patriotic as the day is long.