new virtually indestructable rifle-- X-factor

N Murphy

I just think it's odd that people are saying how great it is when there's not a final product to really test. That's all. Also wondering why the rep let some people spin the prototype but not others...

They have had the rifle in the CIPA circuit. Lippo's Music had one & Mrs. Lippo slammed the thing against the wall, nothing at all damaged.

The only difference I noticed is that the butt is thicker, more boxier than a regular rifle.

& I'm sure there were different reps throughout the day, some thought one thing, some thought another.

• 1 year later...

There are 2 composite rifles on the market. The Elite Pro by DSI and the X-Factor by Style Plus Band. Both are in production and available. Both have a hollow sound. The X-factor has a weight system available and has a textured surface. They plan to foam fill the rifle in order to reduce or eliminate the hollow sound. The Elite Pro doesn't have a weight system and the surface is smooth. Both rifles can be found at www.reedsandthings.com/colorguard.

One of our performers brought one of these "fake" rifles (I'm not sure which brand) to auditions. Her high school used them and she had bought one. It was very slippery but had a textured surface (probably to be able to grip it better).

It was weighted the same as most other rifles, but just felt odd. I didn't like the "slipperiness" feel, and think it would be very detrimental in the rain for outdoor use.

One of our performers brought one of these "fake" rifles (I'm not sure which brand) to auditions. Her high school used them and she had bought one. It was very slippery but had a textured surface (probably to be able to grip it better).

It was weighted the same as most other rifles, but just felt odd. I didn't like the "slipperiness" feel, and think it would be very detrimental in the rain for outdoor use.

I have to agree. I spun this a little from a sample that we had at a rehearsal. The one we had rotated in the air fine, but did appear a little slippery in the hands. An improvement for the company making them may be to put some sort or defined textured areas to the bottom or where tape might go or something. I would never spin these outside in the rain. It may be a good idea to tape it up anyway at least to give some grip spots. Trial and error I guess.

The hollow "thunk" is odd also. it seems to be a poly-propolene plastic of some sort. Like a cutting board somewhat. I also think they hurt way more than a wooden rifle when you catch. It also appeared to pick up dirt easy also, but being the material it is that could probably be easily cleaned off with soap and water.

Call me old school, but I prefer the feel of a good old fashion wood rifle. To each his own.

Edited by classicslv

My guard has used these non wood rifles for the last two years. We have not had any issues with them being any more slippery than a wooden rifle. After years of replacing rifles on a regular basis it has been great to be able to use our budget for other items that we could not afford in the past.

I would encourage any program with beginner to intermediate weapon skills to use these rifles.

out of sheer curiousity and a little extra money, i bought one of the elite pro rifles..... very odd... it seems like the material used to make the white cutting boards. it is hollow on the ends, and the open ends (even though covered with pads) catches the air and slows the gun down. both the tip and the butt have to be tapped over. the gun is very slippery, so i had to tape it cause it literally flew across my lawn on time when i went to toss it. there is a slight bounce, wabble, jiggle, whatever u want to call it when you catch. takes some getting used to. definately a little different than spinning a wooden rifle.... had it for about 3 months now... not sure if i like it or not yet...