Are Finals Recordings in HD yet?

Yes, that is what he's asking for in his follow-up post, but he started the thread asking for high definition. And the only way to get 12 corps in high def on one disc is in BluRay. Not going to happen for $40. Probably not going to happen for $100.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that is what he's asking for in his follow-up post, but he started the thread asking for high definition. And the only way to get 12 corps in high def on one disc is in BluRay. Not going to happen for $40. Probably not going to happen for $100.

I meant $40 for the DVD. I think I pretty much gave up on any HD content from DCI. Then again I can go to Fry's and buy a HD Camcorder and Bluray burner for under $2,000. Of course it wouldn't look good, but it would be HD. Stop acting like HD is a futuristic- out of the question idea.

I think the main stumbling block is the Sony licensing fee. Just to burn a blueray of your wedding costs over $2K in licensing fees (or something like that). Factor in man hours and gear rentals on top of that. I'm tending towards the 500GB HDD for $100 and a $50 docking station route. It's just more economical, but not a long term solution for HD content. In the meantime I have almost as much Terabytes of storage as my last employer.

I've been gearing up to record in HD, since no one else seems willing / able. I'm not going to pretend to be a video guy, although I might play one on TV. But I'm adding HD video to my kit this year and recording whatever Texas corps will let me. I already have a DSD audio rig that I've used on the Austin Stars, World Gone Mad, and Frontier. Not that I plan on anything more than 2 channels of audio and 1 channel of video in high definition at this point, for less than the cost of a Contra (hopefully). And most of my content will likely remain in house or sans audio to avoid trouble with the RIAA / MPAA police.

HD consumer camcorders are still in their infancy IMO. And many of the pro cams are little more than 720p cams plus a little with poor low light capabilities. And the economy seems to be pushing the development / release of capable 1080p HD cams back a bit, so I really wouldn't expect it to be commercially viable for DCI till probably 2012, if ever. It's a nice format, but it's still a bit too cutting edge. Heck, I'm still waiting for broadband to reach my area. If I just lived 5 blocks over....

I think the main stumbling block is the Sony licensing fee. Just to burn a blueray of your wedding costs over $2K in licensing fees (or something like that). Factor in man hours and gear rentals on top of that. I'm tending towards the 500GB HDD for $100 and a $50 docking station route. It's just more economical, but not a long term solution for HD content. In the meantime I have almost as much Terabytes of storage as my last employer.

I've been gearing up to record in HD, since no one else seems willing / able. I'm not going to pretend to be a video guy, although I might play one on TV. But I'm adding HD video to my kit this year and recording whatever Texas corps will let me. I already have a DSD audio rig that I've used on the Austin Stars, World Gone Mad, and Frontier. Not that I plan on anything more than 2 channels of audio and 1 channel of video in high definition at this point, for less than the cost of a Contra (hopefully). And most of my content will likely remain in house or sans audio to avoid trouble with the RIAA / MPAA police.

HD consumer camcorders are still in their infancy IMO. And many of the pro cams are little more than 720p cams plus a little with poor low light capabilities. And the economy seems to be pushing the development / release of capable 1080p HD cams back a bit, so I really wouldn't expect it to be commercially viable for DCI till probably 2012, if ever. It's a nice format, but it's still a bit too cutting edge. Heck, I'm still waiting for broadband to reach my area. If I just lived 5 blocks over....

The licensing fee is steep, but it's not the only factor ... Failure rates burning Blu-Ray media are much higher than for DVD (as high as 50-60%) because the media is much more delicate. That drives production costs up.

I don't see small players getting into Blu-Ray until the licensing fees come down and the reproduction yield comes up.

The licensing fee is steep, but it's not the only factor ... Failure rates burning Blu-Ray media are much higher than for DVD (as high as 50-60%) because the media is much more delicate. That drives production costs up.

I don't see small players getting into Blu-Ray until the licensing fees come down and the reproduction yield comes up.

I've had DVD failure rates as high as 60%. So yeah, there's so many more economical and longer lasting media options these days. SDHC cards are probably cheaper (except in bulk) for the smaller shops. In terms of reliability, write times, shelf life, and other hassles. So there's some question as to whether BlueRay is a viable media to start with. As G4 TV mentioned something about Microsoft even sitting this one out. And 24p while popular in the Indie film arena seems a bit weak for 1080p content. 60p, is the sweet spot IMO. The point where motion and clarity can have a happier marriage. Slower than that and you either get very jumpy sports, or very blurred everything (that moves). Not that bothersome in SD, but #### annoying in HD.

-----

Despite belief to the contrary, we do still have some farming communities left in this country. On the other side of my backyard fence is a herd of cows. Okay, a small herd, but a herd. Even though I'm just 2 miles off the interstate, no broadband here, unless you're talking $100+ per month satelite. In addition to the $60 a month just for DirectTV.

cows.gif

Give 'em to us in a downloadable form.

My grandson was showing me his fancy, new HD camcorder and the quality from it is much better than the regular DVDs that I've seen from DCI. I realize that my cataracts may contribute to my ability to discern quality video, but it just seems like this is not an insurmountable problem.

For that matter, go out and lease a prosumer HD Camcorder and put it on a tripod at the top of Lucas Field and give me a High Definition High camera angle with digital sound from the mics they have on the field. Is that too simplistic? HD is not out of reach.

Perhaps putting it on those Blu-Ray (BTW: that happens to be the name of one of my beaus from years ago) discs is too expensive. Put the standard resolution on the DVDs and for those who buy the DVDs, we can have some kind of access code to download the HD videos.

Give 'em to us in a downloadable form.

My grandson was showing me his fancy, new HD camcorder and the quality from it is much better than the regular DVDs that I've seen from DCI. I realize that my cataracts may contribute to my ability to discern quality video, but it just seems like this is not an insurmountable problem.

For that matter, go out and lease a prosumer HD Camcorder and put it on a tripod at the top of Lucas Field and give me a High Definition High camera angle with digital sound from the mics they have on the field. Is that too simplistic? HD is not out of reach.

Perhaps putting it on those Blu-Ray (BTW: that happens to be the name of one of my beaus from years ago) discs is too expensive. Put the standard resolution on the DVDs and for those who buy the DVDs, we can have some kind of access code to download the HD videos.

At a girl, Granny, you old tart ... That's a great idea.

DCI should go to an all on-line, DRM-free, distribution model. Buy it in HD, download it to your Apple TV or other device. Burn it to your own Blu-Ray media, whatever.

DCI would probably make a lot more money due to the lower overhead and distribution costs (although, since drum corps fans are notorious about sharing and pirating media, that could be a problem.)