Best of WGI Finals 2009

I'd like to add another point for Diamante. They toss a rifle over a girl who gets thrown in the air. Looked even more awesome from the side because I could actually tell what was going on, and I was just thinking how much cooler it would have been if the audience saw it from that angle!

I liked the part in Flanagan's show when the girl who tossed the multiple turn around toss was running around, leading your eye to the other tosses, and then catches the last one. It was nice because it gave so much more purpose to the running effect in the first place.

Onyx's 7's across the floor to other members were wonderfully done pretty much anytime I saw it, so yeah, that was great!

I liked Corona's flag feature toss where they did the bent leg allusion to the ground. Props. Also liked where they brought back the roll around on the ground flag toss as well as the sabre toss where the person catching it was flipped around on the toss person's back.

Braddock's show was so much fun to watch! I just thought it was such a great show in terms of audience enjoyment and a great feature of the members doing what they do best.

I got to see Black Watch and they were doing some impressive things while balancing on those beams. Good for you!

The knights haven't gotten a lot of mention, so I'll mention them here. I like your movement, I like your cross-port catches, I like your commitment to the hoods. I didn't get to see the show, but I liked it on-line!

SCV- Your front right corner work was a lot of fun to watch. I thought that was the best part of the show! Underrated, that corner work is.

Crown Guard- That exposed blind toss exchange in the center of the floor with the stage cleared is GUTSY. Good for you! Especially with the sensitivity of the show in general, it HAD to be done well or else it would just mess up the vibe of the show.

Sorry all A and Open classes, didn't get to see one lick of it otherwise there would be plenty more to talk about!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one from Scholastic World:

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN DANCE: I absolutely LOVED the way Choctawhatchee featured and incorporated their talented dancers. Beautiful.

Someone in the Florida panhandle is really on the ball when it comes to teaching dance technique AND interpreting it for this activity.

I think they had six young ladies who didn't touch a single piece of traditional equipment during the show. Rather, they were focused entirely on the dance/body/movement aspect of presenting the performance. And they were wonderful.

The choreography added such a nice layer of emotional and visual depth to their show that was built around the bittersweet, on-screen love affairs of Hollywood's Golden era.

LOVED it...!!!

Edited by Mr. Know it all

EXCELLENCE IN SOUNDTRACK SELECTION: Trumbull High School

The vocal track from Puccini's opera, Gianni Schicchi, that was used in their production of "Aurora" was absolutely mesmerizing.

If the aurora borealis had a voice, it would sound like this.

It was so beautifully lush and rhapsodic. I wanted to hear another 45 minutes of it.

A perfect choice for Trumbull's lovely program.

JUST A FUN, FUN SHOW: Rancho Bernardo, Scholastic World

Their production about spending an evening outdoors catching fireflies was downright enjoyable on many levels.

Lots of shows these days are leaning toward the serious/scholarly side of the scale - which is perfectly fine.

But one of the things that I think makes this activity so appealing is the VARIETY of show designs that you get to see in competition.

Ranch Bernardo's program really did capture (pun intended) the simple joys of chasing fireflies on a starry night.

And the guard looked like they were having a great time performing their show for us, too.

(Isn't that what this activity is all about...???)

:thumbup:

Well, I guess I had a lot more "favorite" moments than anyone else at this year's WGI Finals.

Guilty as charged, your honor.

:thumbup:

Here's one more:

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE IN THE STANDS: Premonition

During almost the entire Scholastic World finals competition - and it might have been the ENTIRE time - Premonition was sitting together in a big group in the audience and cheering loudly for EVERY SW FINALIST GUARD that performed.

I thought that was EXTREMELY classy of them and an excellent example of how to be a great SPECTATOR as well as a great competitor.

In their very short time on the circuit, Premonition easily has established themselves as one of the most enjoyable groups to watch and they seem to have just as much fun in the stands.

Way to go, ladies and gentlemen of Premonition...!!!

:thumbup::tongue:

I got one:

How About that Broken Flag recovery during Interplay's fantastic feel-good show? that was an amazing moment - hope it makes the video!

Reminds me of the classic "saber with no hilt" moment of Pride's First Circle Show!!!

here's to turning lemons into lemonade!!!

Adem

seeing the austere performance art of avon,amaichi,and santa clara vanguard performed amidst the carnival-like atmosphere of a person walking up and down the steps of the arena dressed in a giant chicken outfit hawking raffle tickets and the sicky-sweet smell of cinnibon's wafting through the air! :worthy:

Edited by dugg

I got one:

How About that Broken Flag recovery during Interplay's fantastic feel-good show? that was an amazing moment - hope it makes the video!

Reminds me of the classic "saber with no hilt" moment of Pride's First Circle Show!!!

here's to turning lemons into lemonade!!!

Adem

I would vote for this one as well!

It's been over 20 years since I've seen a live guard show; about 2 years ago I started missing it; about 2 weeks ago I bought the package 'cause of this thread...and in 4 months I'll be able to see 2009 over and over and over...thanks...hugs to you all :-)

It's been over 20 years since I've seen a live guard show; about 2 years ago I started missing it; about 2 weeks ago I bought the package 'cause of this thread...and in 4 months I'll be able to see 2009 over and over and over...thanks...hugs to you all :-)

Were you able to get out to a winter guard show at all this year, Linda? For a variety of reasons, I couldn't this year or last, and I'm really starting to miss it again. DVDs and streaming video help (and of course are waaay better than nothing), but it's not the same as being there. I was at WGI finals in 2007, and had an absolute blast. I may have to make it down again next year!