Academy 09

can't wait to see what they do this year

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny...I always heard drum corps was about focusing on what you can control and not worrying about the rest. I think that's what the members had as a focus last season.

And yes, there were muxh discussed (on DCP) staff issues last year.

Also, there was much ballyhoo regarding their June performances at the Tempe Arts Center...which were wonderful last year. People are dead wrong to criticize this. It will be one of the highlights of Tempe's summer this year and will most likely sell out each performance.

The corps is also helping to sponsor a Memorial Day Tempe Family picnic I understand. A real community event.

Wow...a drum corps...digging into offering local performance opportunties and local students...not entirely...but mostly.

Yeah..I'm digging on this corps and I'm glad I found them when I moved to Tempe.

Well to be fair Tom, I think people last year weren't criticizing June perfomances at the Tempe Arts Center. June performances here and there are fairly commonplace for corps. The concern expressed was more to do with the fact that the corps performed music that wasn't from their compettitive field show, thus requiring a corps that was facing a very challenging show to put time and effort into learning additional music. If they had just done stand still performances of their show music no one would have batted an eye at it. If I'm inaccurate in my statement I appologize, that's just how I remember it.

Younger corps and new staff equates to better placement? I question the logic there.

As you and others place the blame soley on the design team from last season I would ask, why did not the management step in when things went awry? Is that not the sign of sound direction? The inadequacies in the visual area have been constant since 2006. New staff has come & gone but improvement has been limited.

I find it odd that all of this is overlooked, espcially by you Mr Brace who have always been a stand up guy and not resorted to homer-ism.

I am sure they provide a great experience for Arizona youth. For that they should be lauded. However, the title of "Next Big Thing" doesn't fit anymore.

I guess everyone has a different opinion as to what a down year means....maybe you are referring to placement last year. I guess if the sole criteria was placement...then your opinion holds water.

This year's corps appears to be a bit younger in the horns and especially the drums. Most of the guard from last year is returning from what I've seen so far.

The show this year is called "Ascent" and I've heard portions of the show already. It's a Michael Klesch work and it sounds pretty good already.

As with last year's show, the visual production will make or break this corps. I see some improvement overall from last year and think they will make semis, however, how far up into Friday's schedule I won't hesitate to guess.

I think there was a recent announcement about the City of Tempe adopting the Academy as the official drum corps of Tempe. So they got that going for them for what it's worth.

The most important part of this corps is what they do for the kids in this state. So many HS band programs have had to cease operations because of budget cuts. The drum corps is really providing a ton of opportunities for local kids.

Next camp is the first weekof May and I plan to attend quite a bit of it.

Younger corps and new staff equates to better placement? I question the logic there.

Complete logic... for example Crossmen 2008

And I thought Academy's show last year was quite enjoyable, can't wait to see what they can do this year.

Well to be fair Tom, I think people last year weren't criticizing June perfomances at the Tempe Arts Center. June performances here and there are fairly commonplace for corps. The concern expressed was more to do with the fact that the corps performed music that wasn't from their compettitive field show, thus requiring a corps that was facing a very challenging show to put time and effort into learning additional music. If they had just done stand still performances of their show music no one would have batted an eye at it. If I'm inaccurate in my statement I appologize, that's just how I remember it.

No...you are correct. Although they did perform the show music as part of the show, they performed other selections as well.

I do not believe that performing or not performing the June shows at the TAC would have any affect on the field product. I did not see the two things linked at all.

I think this will be proven out this year. There will be no relationship between having the corps do performances at the TAC in June and the quality level of their DCI field product.

As you and others place the blame soley on the design team from last season I would ask, why did not the management step in when things went awry? Is that not the sign of sound direction? The inadequacies in the visual area have been constant since 2006. New staff has come & gone but improvement has been limited.

I find it odd that all of this is overlooked, espcially by you Mr Brace who have always been a stand up guy and not resorted to homer-ism.

I am sure they provide a great experience for Arizona youth. For that they should be lauded. However, the title of "Next Big Thing" doesn't fit anymore.

Never been a homer. I called Mr. Richardson out when he was still teaching the brass and managing the corps at the same time. Possible in Open Class for sure....once the jump to world....I didn't think it should even be attempted. He is no longer the brass guy.

As far as my criticism over the last year...I've been stand up and honest. What in essence the corps attempted was in furthering the relationship between some instructors at ASU and the corps. In this, two people who helped significantly in 2007 had elevated positions on the staff in 2008. This did not work out. Classic business problem actually, not isolated to merely drum corps. I could take any company over 25 employees and point out similar instances where someone was promoted beyond their level of ability. This is especially true in educational institutions. How many times has a wonderful classroom teacher been elevated to department head and then administration and they flounder at those new jobs because their ability, gifs and talent really lie in classroom instruction. I believe this was the case for the 2008 season. Just my assessment...agree or disagree.

It became clear during the season the visual program and music book weren't able to mesh. The corps chose to exercise some options and attempted to salvage the show. The corps finished 6 places lower. I happened to have liked the music...just didn't see the visual aspects impress. I've said as much many times.

The corps moved in a different direction since the 2008 season ended. Some staff have been retained. Some new staff has been hired. Not so different from other corps really.

So, in some cases the measurement of this corps could be that it didn't meet expectations in 2008. I think that opinion has merit. However, it must also be recognized of the accomplishments...one of them being the early June productions at the TAC. Again, I saw nothing in producing those shows that hindered the summer product. Zero.

So clearly Academy's visual is lacking, which definitely held them down last year (along with a very challenging show). What would any of you suggest to remedy this? Any specific instructors or designers come to mind?

So clearly Academy's visual is lacking, which definitely held them down last year (along with a very challenging show). What would any of you suggest to remedy this? Any specific instructors or designers come to mind?

well, they have made a change in have Michael Klesch do the music book.

I don't remember offhand if there are changes in the visual staff or not. My guess would be yes...but again...I don't know. I know colorguard is mostly the same staff and a lot of returning members. Brass looked young and I also think they had turnover in the battery. Pit...couldn't tell you right now overall, but from what I heard at the banquet...the pit players sounded good...the brass had very good moments and clearly the Klesch has been getting a lot of work...that was the best sounding stuff of the night.

Visual is always one of those things that you have to wait until July to figure out totally from a fan's standpoint. so many changes along the way...

I remember the different schools of thought...some corps picked the music and then built a theme and visuals around that. Other corps had a theme first and then built the music and visual to fit the theme...I believe the latter is quite common with current corps.

No...you are correct. Although they did perform the show music as part of the show, they performed other selections as well.

I do not believe that performing or not performing the June shows at the TAC would have any affect on the field product. I did not see the two things linked at all.

I think this will be proven out this year. There will be no relationship between having the corps do performances at the TAC in June and the quality level of their DCI field product.

Well, it would seem logical to me that any time designated to learning music that isn't a part of the field show, is time that isn't spent learning or perfecting field show music. I mean that seems pretty black and white. Winter months and early season are critical to putting the best possible product on the field as early as possible. Everyone knows that slotting happens. Ten hours spent learning a piece of music not related to the field show could be spent ironing out a tough ensemble section, or finishing closer drill, etc... I just don't see how you can say there is NO negative impact on the field show as a result.