Spartans Inactive

I marched both Americanos and ECJ the last year they fielded a corps. I can't speak to much for ECJ, but Americanos had everything set to go....but money and reality prevent things from happening. In 05 before the corps went inactive the corps had about 70ish members. In 06 when they plan to return there was a solid 50ish there to work with, so making a comebock with strong numbers is possible.

I would lvoe to see for both to make a comeback. I just currently saw ECJ 06 show and it blew me away. Just don't find that kinda quality and risk in Open Class anymore.

I think the OP's point was that they need to have EVERYTHING ready: not just members, but money, staff, volunteers, transportation, food, etc., etc. No offense to anyone, but members are sometimes the easiest part. Getting the $$$ always seems to be the hard part.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering if there's someone to contact regarding renting equipment (horns, etc.) as a way to help out while they take this year off...? Anyone know who I can get in touch with?

I marched both Americanos and ECJ the last year they fielded a corps. I can't speak to much for ECJ, but Americanos had everything set to go....but money and reality prevent things from happening. In 05 before the corps went inactive the corps had about 70ish members. In 06 when they plan to return there was a solid 50ish there to work with, so making a comebock with strong numbers is possible.

I would lvoe to see for both to make a comeback. I just currently saw ECJ 06 show and it blew me away. Just don't find that kinda quality and risk in Open Class anymore.

Yeah...both years were a heartache for Americanos...but especially 2005. To have to make that decision and inform the members that late in the season was an awful job for the director. We just talked about that really lousy drum corps day just recently.

I think the OP's point was that they need to have EVERYTHING ready: not just members, but money, staff, volunteers, transportation, food, etc., etc. No offense to anyone, but members are sometimes the easiest part. Getting the $$$ always seems to be the hard part.

Absolutely. I was not trying to point out any single corps, it is just they are the last few to go inactive.

Kids joining is the small portion of getting and keeping a corps operating. Just ask any director or BOD member. The money to run a small 32 member corps can run upwards to $150,000 a year and up, depending on how much traveling the corps does. If you are starting a corps from scratch and have to buy the equipment that number easily doubles. The hardest part of running a corps is getting the money. Not ALL money comes from members. Raising money, getting grants and getting community support takes a lot of time and effort. It certainly not a job with only a couple of people running the show.

Somebody said they were in line to go World. Maybe they decided NOT to make the jump is because they saw this coming.

I certainly do hope the Spartans do come back, I just hope they make sure everything is in place before they start recruiting , or else they will be the next name that will be added to an already too large and growing list.

Good Luck Spartans.

MANCHESTER – Spartans Drum and Bugle Corps officials have signed an agreement to sell their Nashua headquarters for $915,000, but a bankruptcy court judge has allowed the bank to foreclose on the property if it chooses.
article