USSBA creates Indoor Circuit!

ATXguard

USSBA Indoor to Take the Floor in 2010

USSBA committed to a plan

After a few false starts, years of consideration, and a growing number of recent requests by member programs to the offices of the US Scholastic Band Association, the USSBA has committed to a plan to launch our first indoor season during the 2009-2010 school year.

Scheduled to take place January-April of 2010, the season will feature a Championship in a high quality venue and a full season schedule of a minimum of one show per weekend during that time. A formal announcement as to the site host of the Inaugural USSBA Winter Championships will be forthcoming in the near future.

“It does have to be said that this is a work in progress,” says George Hopkins, the CEO of Youth Education in the Arts. “We want to be fully engaged with the high schools that we serve. We have had many requests to enter the winter activity and we are ready to do so, but before we leap this time, we are going to make sure we can offer the best in service, facilities and adjudication. We are close, but we need a little time to be lock down the myriad of details.”

Sean King, Director of the USSBA, says in making this exciting announcement, “The expansion of the USSBA into the winter disciplines is the next step in the logical progression of providing the very best service and events to the programs who count on us in the fall. Embracing the unique activities of indoor percussion, colorguard, twirling and dance will give us even more opportunities to provide the same superior experience in the winter as we do in the fall, and allow us to continue to put educators and students first, as we assist programs to teach life lessons through music.”

As for the philosophy and the programming of such, the driving concepts of USSBA Indoor, will be the same as hundreds of bands have come to enjoy in the Fall.

Philosophy

At the USSBA, our focus is on education, and a great experience for directors, staff, students and guests. We support both competitive and non-competitive philosophies of performance. This approach allows for the educator to choose the method which best meets the educational needs of their program. The classes are further divided into two tiers based on level of achievement. We believe this structure establishes goals that are within reach, which helps to better motivate the students and allows the unit to improve more quickly.

Service

The USSBA provides high quality service and support to high school music programs through their staff at the YEA! office. A full time staff of 15 supports the efforts of YEA! with six of these staff members dedicated solely to USSBA on a daily basis and additional part time assistance during the busy performance seasons. Staff members are responsible for vital communication duties including phone, e-mail, social networking, web site updates and maintenance, plus general membership contact. Unlike most anywhere else, USSBA members can have their concerns addressed during office hours any day and have access to Director Care 24/7 during the heavy seasons.

Much work is yet to be done and official announcements are still a few weeks down the road but prior to the end of the school year. Expect to hear big things, about big changes, as the USSBA, and the parent organization, Youth Education in the Arts, begin expansion to new efforts of programming and offerings for the scholastic programs of the Northeast and beyond.

If you have any questions or are interested in becoming part of this exciting evolution in the pageantry arts at any level, from adjudicator to potential event host to participating unit, please contact the USSBA at Indoor@USbands.org

Same here Mike. I was at the first meeting in 1995 in Bergenfield!

Like others before me, I'll believe it only when I'm holding in my hand a ticket for a contest that's being held at a venue in which I'm standing and the first guard of the contest is ready to take the floor.

But I really hope it does happen. It would be nice to have another competitive circuit out there.

:thumbdown:

Where will these shows be?

When I contacted USSBA, they said they plan to host shows in areas where they currently host their marching band shows-- so all around the country, it sounds like.