How does one start a drum and bugle corps?

Wow, thanks everyone for such good advice! I am in awe of the dedication and persistence so many people have gone through to get a corps off the ground. I have received some really good contacts that I am pursuing. Your help is essential in this quest! THANK YOU!

:smile:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be happy to speak to anyone in the Minnesota twin cities area who might be interested in exploring the possibility of starting a junior corps here. This is a passion of mine and it would be nice to speak to like-minded people. And just think, when we get this thing going it all started through Drum Corps Planet! Email me at ajlemm@email.com or pm me.

THANKS!!!

Lots of money, lots of volunteers, lots of recruiting and lots of kids. Thats the bottom line. Did I mention lots of money. I ment to say lots and lots of money.

I would be happy to speak to anyone in the Minnesota twin cities area who might be interested in exploring the possibility of starting a junior corps here. This is a passion of mine and it would be nice to speak to like-minded people. And just think, when we get this thing going it all started through Drum Corps Planet! Email me at ajlemm@email.com or pm me.

THANKS!!!

There are a lot of former Blue Stars people up in that area, plus I'm sure there are many people left from the St. Croix Rivermen in that area. Another thing you may want to do is talk to the folks from Minnesota Brass, Chops, and Governaires to see if they could provide advice/assistance.

Thanks, I am going to post something for those people.

There are a lot of former Blue Stars people up in that area, plus I'm sure there are many people left from the St. Croix Rivermen in that area. Another thing you may want to do is talk to the folks from Minnesota Brass, Chops, and Governaires to see if they could provide advice/assistance.

For a successful start-up:

- Have a strong sense of vision in terms of what you want to accomplish and how you're going to get there.

- Get all your paperwork out of the way. ie non-profit, licensing for fundraising, etc.

Then, once that is complete; remember these 3 keys and make them your focus in your early years:

Key 1: Always Recruiting (Members, Volunteers, Staff, Community Support)

As you gain Volunteers, Staff, and Community Supporters, get them involved with helping you acquire uniforms, equipment, etc. You will find the people to involve and take you where you want to go if you are always recruiting.

Key 2: Always Fundraising (To keep the lifeblood flowing.. $$$$)

Key 3: (MOST IMPORTANT) Always Stay Positive (nothing will kill your plans quicker than people getting tired and negative. If you can be a good motivator and keep everyone energized, you're in good shape.)

Focus on those 3 keys for your first couple of years. Put the majority of your attention and energy on those principles. Be the light guiding the ship, and make sure you learn to delegate. Make your people feel valued and important and they will be more than happy to help you organize, acquire and plan.

Just my 2 cents. If I lived in your area, I would be more than happy to help.

Maybe this topic has been broached before, but I was wondering how one would go about starting a DCI drum and bugle corps.

Also, what are some of the markets that you believe could use another DCI corps? A few that come to mind are Minnesota, Colorado, Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois.

As an example, in Minnesota we have three All-Age (DCA) corps, but no junior corps.

If you know of any good resources and contacts, please PM me or email me at ajlemm@email.com

THANKS!

IMO, before you do anything, have your head examined! Starting a "drum corps" considering the nation's economic situation this would probably be a complete failure and a major financial disaster. It's just not worth the effort or the financial investment!

Edited by morganhill

one bit of advice i would have is make sure you stay in contact. i was on "staff" of a group that tried for three years to put a corps together. one of the biggest problems is the director was really bad at staying in touch and has since seemed to have fallen off the face of the earth. i can't tell you how frustrating it was to go for a month and not know if we're having another camp or what the heck is going on. so for any future directors out there, it will be tough to get going but if you don't stay in contact with your staff (and everyone else) it will just be more difficult

IMO, before you do anything, have your head examined! Starting a "drum corps" considering the nation's economic situation this would probably be a complete failure and a major financial disaster. It's just not worth the effort or the financial investment!

Right...cause who would want to invest in kids. :lol: