Blue Devils Founder Jerry Seawright/Actor Dick Van Dyke Tie

I don't know how many of you know that the late, great Blue Devils founder/director/DCI Hall of Famer Jerry Seawright grew up as friends with famed actor/comedian Dick Van Dyke, back in Danville, IL. Jerry even appeared on the April 19, 1987 national television broadcast "This Is Your Life" tribute to Dick Van Dyke, which was aired on NBC. Jerry told several stories about the things the two of them did as young boys. I'll never forget being quite surprised to see Jerry on that broadcast, and I later asked him about his life-long friendship with Van Dyke. He went on for quite some time, telling me about those "good old days".

That is pretty awesome.. maybe somewhere on Hulu or google video or some video site may be a replay of it. Thanks for sharing

Jerry also attended school with a relative of Gene Hackman.

Dick Van Dyke posted a comment with the Blue Devils when people were posting their memories.

I find it interesting that Jerry and Dick called their group of buddies The Burfords. The old Dick Van Dyke Show often had references to people being called "Burford". Especially the episode where Dick's brother Jerry Van Dyke was featured as a banjo-playing comedian who called everybody "Burford" whenever he was sleepwalking.

Here's one more photo:

photo

Edited by Northern Thunder

Man... Blue Devils always knew when the DVDs were coming first.

Thank you. Drive safely.

Years ago, I was at a party at Jerry's for his birthday. The phone rang and I picked up. I recognized the voice of Dick Van Dyke immediately. As a big fan, I got to talk to him for a few minutes before turning the phone over to Jerry.

Now, if that isn't the coolest, I don't know what is. Thanks for sharing that with us :-)

Years ago, I was at a party at Jerry's for his birthday. The phone rang and I picked up. I recognized the voice of Dick Van Dyke immediately. As a big fan, I got to talk to him for a few minutes before turning the phone over to Jerry.

That IS the coolest...you went to Jerry's birthday party!!

Too bad you were interrupted by some phone call...

:lol: