Carolina Crown Camp Report

Carolina Crown = Drum Corps

Second.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where can I find a list of Crown's repertoire?

www.corpsreps.com

Big Crown fan here. From SC. Knew them when they weren't. Loved 08.

BUT...

I'm a little nervous about all of this body movement that has been discussed. Occasionally, I think that body movement of the horn line can work. But more often than not I find myself thinking, "Wow, that sounds so beautiful...but why does that mello player think he's a butterfly?" I had a hard time with that during the ballad last year. That's the "OMG I CAN"T BELIEVE THEY CAN PLAY WITH SUCH PERFECT TONE AND PHRASING" ballad. And all I can see is the horn players in the back running in circles, flapping their arms.

I know it is hard to do well. But still. I hope it is REALLY cool, or it might just look silly. Maybe it will be less distracting (not the right word - it sounds too harsh) with something other than a ballad.

BUT...

I'm a little nervous about all of this body movement that has been discussed. Occasionally, I think that body movement of the horn line can work. But more often than not I find myself thinking, "Wow, that sounds so beautiful...but why does that mello player think he's a butterfly?" I had a hard time with that during the ballad last year. That's the "OMG I CAN"T BELIEVE THEY CAN PLAY WITH SUCH PERFECT TONE AND PHRASING" ballad. And all I can see is the horn players in the back running in circles, flapping their arms.

I know it is hard to do well. But still. I hope it is REALLY cool, or it might just look silly. Maybe it will be less distracting (not the right word - it sounds too harsh) with something other than a ballad.

I've always LOVED Crown's body movement. They always pull it off sooo nicely and make it look easy. To me, it adds a lot to the show.

BUT...

I know what you mean, but I think (and this is purely conjecture on my part) that part of the body movement is indicative of the whole "grass is always greener" theme (i.e. switching sides, trying something new, etc.). I could be completely off base (I frequently am) but that's kinda what I gathered from it.

I know what you mean, but I think (and this is purely conjecture on my part) that part of the body movement is indicative of the whole "grass is always greener" theme (i.e. switching sides, trying something new, etc.). I could be completely off base (I frequently am) but that's kinda what I gathered from it.

Nah T-Mac, you're usually right, and we love you for it. Hahaha. I just remember being on the field a couple times over the past couple seasons, seeing you (and occasionally I think your wife, as well) come up with lawn chairs and sit down, and thinking "Uh oh, T-Mac is here, play pretty guys."

Heh.

Nah T-Mac, you're usually right, and we love you for it. Hahaha. I just remember being on the field a couple times over the past couple seasons, seeing you (and occasionally I think your wife, as well) come up with lawn chairs and sit down, and thinking "Uh oh, T-Mac is here, play pretty guys."

Heh.

I never knew that my fame preceded me (Ha!). I do have to say, that there's not many things in life that are better than pickniking on the hill, watching the sun go down over the mountains in the background, and having the flesh peeled off your face by Crown's hornline 20 feet away. I so look forward to Crown coming to town each year. It is one of the highlights of my year. Oh to be that age again and have an opportunity to march with a group such as Crown (I didn't learn about drum corps until it was too late for me :thumbdown: ).

I never knew that my fame preceded me (Ha!). I do have to say, that there's not many things in life that are better than pickniking on the hill, watching the sun go down over the mountains in the background, and having the flesh peeled off your face by Crown's hornline 20 feet away. I so look forward to Crown coming to town each year. It is one of the highlights of my year. Oh to be that age again and have an opportunity to march with a group such as Crown (I didn't learn about drum corps until it was too late for me :thumbdown: ).

Hah, I remember in 07 when we found your post the first time (laptops + GW internet), and figured out who you were. We expected you for late brass block or early ensemble every night (just as the sun went down, of course). Good times, thanks for the support. :)

Jordan