marching shoes and shine

ive marched for several years and prided myself on my shining technique for my instrument and my shoes. recently i've been thinking about the shine of shoes.. i know some marching shoes come with a glossy type shine, and others tend to dull after a while.. i am a strong supporter of the KIWI high gloss shine. however, i was spray painting music stands one day (to get graffiti off) and the high gloss paint i was using reminded me of shoe shine... so i took an old pair of marching shoes, wiped the dirt off, took the laces off and laid down a coat of spray paint on them... they TOTALLY looked shinier than the KIWI high gloss wax polish.. im thinking about experimenting with this for this summer's corps and was looking for feedback on this idea.. im not sure of the long term wear and tear on the paint (chipping or cracking etc).. the shoes become a little sticky when i spray as opposed to the wax shine. ive heard lots of stories of ppl spray painting shoes, socks, feet, etc... in emergencies lol.. but im talking about on purpose..... GO!

The main thing is, you need to strip the old layer of polish off before putting the new one on. If you're just putting new polish on top of old, eventually you won't get it shiny no matter how much you try because you're just building on top of the old scuffs and imperfections. Strip it off with nail polish remover or the scuff remover Kiwi sells before putting new polish on.

painting your shoes with lacquer is not a good idea.

Lacquer takes a long time to completely cure. Depending on how much you sprayed on in one go, it can take 6 hours to a couple days for it to completely dry up. And even then, in extreme temperatures it will get sticky for weeks afterwards. This can mean dirt, grass, turf buddies, rocks, gum, pinecones, children etc. all getting stuck to your shoes with little chance of them coming off easily.

Also if you get in the habit of spraying multiple layers, then it will undoubtedly begin to crack or peel. You also run the risk of getting the orange peel effect (texturized bumps on the finish due to the spray can nozzle) and capturing water between layers and getting a cloudy finish rather than a clear finish.

Finally, I just don't think it's very practical to bring around a can of spraypaint with you just to clean your shoes.

Personally, I find a good rub-down with alcohol wipes (I use armour-all cleaning wipes) then a thin layer of polish buffed to oblivion works wonders for polishing.

painting your shoes with lacquer is not a good idea.

This can mean dirt, grass, turf buddies, rocks, gum, pinecones, children etc. all getting stuck to your shoes with little chance of them coming off easily.

I lol'd

i went through most of tour last year using black shoe polish, around the end of july someone had bought a shoe shining sponge by kiwi...IT WAS AWESOME!!!!! i think i'm going to use that this year!