Captain

So I recently found out that I'm going to be my high school's colorguard co-captain...

The thing is, I'm kinda freaking out about it!

Does anyone have any advice about it?

Like stories of captains you've had-

What made them good, what made them bad... general stories such as that...

Or just suggestions in general?

Please and thank you! :tongue:

Congrats on being named co-captain!

As an instructor, I look to my captain(s) to be responsible young performers who can always stay one step ahead. I usually name a captain that has been in guard for 3-4 yrs and who always demonstrates maturity, a good attitude, patience, and the uncanny ability to keep those around them on task and happy. In short- someone who would make my life easier!

If you have an instructor, talk to them about your specific role. Once you know what they are looking for/expecting from you, then let the instructor tell the other members what your roles are.

Try to keep an even temperament. Nobody likes a diva on a power trip! Work harder than everyone else, give compliments and constructive criticism.

Get to know the rookies really well! Plan a pool party or some sort of get together during the season. Think of ways to keep guard fun!

Also, colorguardeducators.com has some great articles suggesting ideas for student leaders:

http://www.colorguardeducator.com/index.ph...8&Itemid=35

http://www.colorguardeducator.com/index.ph...3&Itemid=35

Have fun and good luck!

Lead by example

listen ALOT, speak less!

Be Fair

pratice patience and then practice some more.

have fun

but realize you are the one they will look to. to see what they can and cant get away with so be consistant.

never put youself before the unit.

Good luck

Thank you both!

I was talking with my other captain and we were trying to think of some good team bonding things...

Does anybody have some fun things we could do for bonding?

A few things:

You and your co-captain must be on the same wavelength. When I was a senior, I was co-captain. I wanted to get things done. my co-captain wanted to be everyone's friend and wasn't as hard working. Made for lots of conflict.

Lead by example.

In terms of bonding, what about organizing a picnic with some activities (maybe making tie-dye together and wear on the same days?), friendly tug of war, get out the slip n slide!! LOL!!

bowling is always fun, miniature golf, stuff like that.

Congrats!

Well, I haven't had a guard with captains since 2006, BUT when I have had one I look for the following:

GREAT attitude.

Hard working

Does what I ask without complaining

Keeps all members on task (sometimes even keeps me on task)

For bonding, my girls have usually had sleep-overs, pool parties, game night(s).

Have a GREAT season!

First off, congratulations on being named co-captain! :lol:

Do you and the other captain get along well? That's one of the most important things to remember. Also, there may be times when you need to have a thick skin, and not take things personally (no matter how much a guard member may want it to become personal). Sometimes, people just want to get under the skin of whomever's in charge, and for no particular reason, other than that's just what they want to do. If you're lucky, there's no one like that in your guard, but unfortunately I saw a fair number of that personality type during the years I taught. You just have to let it roll off like water off a duck's back . . . or try to.

I've had guard captains that run the gamut, from fabulous to diva-wannabes. The diva-wannabes, no matter how talented, were the hardest to deal with because they thought of what they wanted first and foremost, rather than what the guard needed, and what was good for the group. Fortunately, I had very few of this personality type, but the times I did, it was remarkable how divisive they were within the guard.

Do you have a guard staff, or is it you and your co-captain who will be writing/teaching the work? If you have a guard instructor, then you will be essentially like a support staff member for that person. The best captains I ever had were good listeners, and they also paid close attention to what worked and what didn't work. And they also knew how to present that to me. Typically, if something wasn't working, they had an idea for something with which to replace it, and they could show it to me. Often, I used my guard captains' ideas, but sometimes I really didn't think it was an improvement, so I didn't use it. They understood not to take that personally, and sometimes out of that discussion they inspired me to come up with something better. So it all worked out in the end.

Best of luck on a great season!