Which 4 mallet grip do you prefer?

jam-rog456

4 mallet grip  

22 members have voted

1. 1. 4 mallet grip

• stevens
    • burton
    • other

I saw this poll on Marching Band Planet, under the percussion section, but I don't remember ever seeing it here. So, which is your choice for 4 mallet playing, and why?

P.S.- Stevens and Burton are really the only ones I know, so if theres others that alot of other people like, or if alot of people can think of any others, I'll add them to the poll.

Stevens just came natural to me. I didn't try picking up Burton grip till a few years down the line.

....and to be honest....3 out of 4 of the corps' I marched in, chose Stevens on vibes over Burton grip.

I just couldn't build up enough strength with Burton, and once I got the giant calyses on my fingers from Stevens, I was able to wail.

Back in the age of the dinosaurs (aka, the mid-70s) I first learned the standard Musser grip, but once I tried Burton, it made a lot more sense for the playing I wanted to do (primarily vibes, very rarely marimba).

I know how to do Stevens, but the grip has never been comfortable for me. That being said, I'm making sure that both of my kids (12 and 14 year old percussionists) are learning it, since at least one of them is expressing interest in drum corps pit work, and it seems to be the preferred grip.

Edited by mobrien

• 3 weeks later...

I think Stevens is generally more popular in the drum corps world. I don't know, personally I've consistently seen better rolls from people who use Stevens but I myself learned Burton and still use it. That's not to say that i don't wish i know Stevens! The only thing I'll ever argue about with someone about this topic is when someone tries to tell me that one is better than the other. I believe that they both have their strengths and weaknesses and that it is strictly a matter of personal preference.

• 2 weeks later...

i use Stevens because it comes more naturally to me than Burton. Also, i play way more marimba than vibes so the extra range of motion helps out a lot

I always love this discussion between the two well known grips. I personally believe that one should choose one and only one and perfect upon that grip. This does not mean that one is necessarily better than the other but it's just like development of a wind players embouchure or the grace of a string player. Why spend time learning a whole new grip when in actuality it will take a while to develop. I personally prefer the Stevens grip over Burton but that means nothing really. On the other hand the only thing I don't care for is the sometimes clicking of the mallet shafts in the crossed Burton grip. That doesn't always happen but it can. My ear tends to focus on that and that only when it happens...not enjoyable. I also favor the enormous range one can achieve with the Stevens because of the transfer of the inside mallet and the thumb roll out.

I always love this discussion between the two well known grips. I personally believe that one should choose one and only one and perfect upon that grip. This does not mean that one is necessarily better than the other but it's just like development of a wind players embouchure or the grace of a string player. Why spend time learning a whole new grip when in actuality it will take a while to develop. I personally prefer the Stevens grip over Burton but that means nothing really. On the other hand the only thing I don't care for is the sometimes clicking of the mallet shafts in the crossed Burton grip. That doesn't always happen but it can. My ear tends to focus on that and that only when it happens...not enjoyable. I also favor the enormous range one can achieve with the Stevens because of the transfer of the inside mallet and the thumb roll out.

I agree with you, But i think its because we come form the same line of Instructors!

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Bauer,

I couldn't disagree with you more. Learn one grip only and perfect it? No way. What kind of percussionist does that make you? Why not be a triangle-ist and nothing more. Make sure you perfect the triangle. Seems to me, a well-rounded percussionist needs to be able to do ALL THINGS well. As to Burton grip vs. Stevens Technique, I say you need the right approach for the right job. If i'm playing marimba, and there's a lot of double lateral stuff, then I need Stevens. If I'm comping alot of chords on either marimba or vibes, then its Burton for me. I'm equally strong on both techniques. Now I am not claiming to be stronger than you at either, simply that I think its important to be equally proficient at both!