Short to the point Walnut

Velvet Knights 58.600 (thought they should of been closer to Mystical) The Coat tails are back, the red reboks are back, and they definetly have that VK fun feel and gags going.....very good show for them miles ahead of last year for a first show, if they fill in the holes this year will be a great step on their road back to world class

Yes, yes and yes! Look for additional music, gags, and members in shows to come. The kids really thank YOU for supporting not just them, but all the corps this year.

Go get 'em kids!

Edited by neholgate

Side note, I remember les chantelanies(sp) using chairs think it was 1980, was enjoyable but at the time not well received until championships when the girls had it together with the closing clacks of the chairs to the standing and playing on them (they had great "hats" that year too

From one of our corps members archives..... When you have a chair on the field, you are going to stand next to it with one foot on the chair. Change the uniforms and horns, and you almost have a picture of one point in the BD show this year.

Chatelaines001.jpg

A few show points that stick out to me....

Academy---Finalist? Their show has lots of potential. They seem to have more "edge" to their sound this year than in years past. I like that. It is not a distorted edge or overblown, just a bit more "in your face" sound while still balanced. I have liked them since their original debut and I hope to see that they make finals this year.

PC---Their new uniforms are outstanding and give the corps a better presence on the field. I really got into the show, but the ending kinda left me wanting more. Perhaps it is not done, but it feels like the show just suddenly stops. They are the first corps I saw with synths. First off, I do not like the idea of synths, but I am keeping an open mind as the use progresses. In fact I did not even really notice what they were playing. I would like to hear the show without them to really have a good comparison. However, when the synth is used to replace an acoustically acheivable voice, I would have to object. The one point that really stood out in their show was when the synth player was "playing" chimes. I am sure you can bring out the sound better through a synth, but that is why amps and mics were added to the pit. Put a hammer to the chime tube, the real chimes sound better than an electronic sample of a chime. Keep working it PC, you will be outstanding.

BD---I really enjoyed the show. At this point I do not look too critically at shows because I am sure, as every year, that they will get cleaned up. One thing I would re-think is the opening trumpet soloist using harmon mute. He/she is blowing through that mute so hard to be heard that is sounds really forced. They are trying to counter against the natural tendancy of the harmon. I think that changing to a cup would let them back off and still have the effect of a different voice to the sound and it would more easily project into the audience.

SCV---they were also great. I get the feeling there will probably be lots of adjustments and will have no problem being a top contender come Indy. The biggest problem I had with them was the ending of the show. The corps fades to the back sideline as the show ends, but they do not cut the volume of the pit. It was a really nice effect with the horns and battery then a few bars later, the pit came in at full volume and killed the effect. You have someone standing right next to the board, slide that main down to about 10% for the ending. Or, with the horns and battery fading, turn it all the way down. They will be softer and fit into the overall sound better.

BD - On FN it sounded as if the synth piano was a bit too loud during the opening solos . I'm sure you could hear them in the crowd but the stadium mikes tend to push the pit.

Edited by Plan9