Horn Polishing Tip

melligene

Just going to throw this out there cause it has made polishing my horn a LOT easier. I prefer to use Weimanns Royal Silver cream cause it does such a nice job. Only problem......it's a real Bear to rub out. Not-nuh-more. Spent a whole Dollar for a terrycloth looking microfiber cloth at a dollar store and VOILA !!! Buffing is now a breeze. Yinz might give it a try. Just sayin.......

• 2 weeks later...

Does it matter is then horn is in gold???

I dont think my corps directors would be too happy if i took it the lacquer off..

You mean lacquered brass, or gold-plated? I'm assuming the former--you don't want to use polish of any kind on lacquered horns. Get a polishing cloth for that kind of horn from your local music store to take fingerprints and stuff off, but polish will damage the finish.

Does it matter is then horn is in gold???

I dont think my corps directors would be too happy if i took it the lacquer off..

I was under the assumption that most horn players on this site have silver plated or chrome plated horns. My bad.

Not sure if the microfiber cloth will damage Laquer without polish but, this is the same type of cloth I use on my LCD TV which is NOT glass. Just sayin.........

I was under the assumption that most horn players on this site have silver plated or chrome plated horns. My bad.

Not sure if the microfiber cloth will damage Laquer without polish but, this is the same type of cloth I use on my LCD TV which is NOT glass. Just sayin.........

Just about any abrasive will dull the lacquer finish. Chrome is best polished with Windex - or the sleeve of your uniform...

No worries, thanks for advice.

A lot of DCUK corps still use brass + lacquered horns. And with synths and other things, you really can't make ANY assumptions anymore. Just sayin.....

I like the finish that MAAS gives, but if I've got something big like a contra to clean, I really can't justify the time to use anything other than Wrights silver cream. For brass or chrome, windex or water and a towel. Depending on how much lacquer is still present. I've had a few trombones that stripped the bells of all lacquer for a purer sound. And brasso + others works well on that type of horn. I've also used MRS. Coopers a couple of times. Nice low mess quick touch up, but it re-tarnishes rather quickly IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

WINDEX! :D