Troopers 1995 Penalty

I admit, ever since I saw members of the Troopers beat up a DCI judge after the 1995 Stillwater, MN show, they've always given off a creepy sort of vibe to me.

That's hardcore :thumbdown:

Troopers were next on the field. I admit, ever since I saw members of the Troopers beat up a DCI judge after the 1995 Stillwater, MN show, they've always given off a creepy sort of vibe to me.

Actually it wasn't a DCI judge that was attacked that night in Stillwater....it was one of Pioneer's brass staff. He was a DCI judge later, but that night he was an instructor.

The Troopers were later assessed a 3.5 point penalty by DCI when they competed four nights later at the Preview of Champions in Michigan.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Actually it wasn't a DCI judge that was attacked that night in Stillwater....it was one of Pioneer's brass staff. He was a DCI judge later, but that night he was an instructor.

The Troopers were later assessed a 3.5 point penalty by DCI when they competed four nights later at the Preview of Champions in Michigan.

Well, this is certainly interesting, if true. No longer can it ever be said that what goes on OFF THE FIELD has no effect on a Corps score in competition.

Not sure why DCI would not have taken some other off the field punitive measures, ie fines, a public censorship, legal redress, etc. that would not be future score impacted.

But one has to admit, having a show performance penalized in competition in the future, is pretty startling.

I wonder what judging caption this was assessed in that future field performance ?........... " the General Effect in the Battery " ?

How many other off the field shenanagins later showed up in the judging scores later for Corps in competition ?

At least it should give one some pause, no ?

Edited by BRASSO

There are not many people who know what truly happened in regards to Cecil's and Troopers' actions that fateful night in Stillwater, MN, July 1995, unless they were directly part of the scuffle. Both have been penalized, and apologies were made and accepted.

No one was "attacked". Rather, the right of a corps to enter the field of competition was defended, as was the right of a single person to hold his own space. Unfortunately, both were right, and both were wrong. Also unfortunately, it was in the direct sight of the main stands and patrons entering those stands at the completion of intermission.

What was not right was the handling of the circumstances by DCI officials Sam Mitchell and David Koempshoer. Both were completely out of their league; as was the inept corps director of the Troopers, Mark Humberson, who had good intentions, just no experience. Mr. Humberson is now passed at an early age. Mr. Mitchell is now no longer with the activity.

PM me for more info if you so desire, but it really is time for this tired dog to lay at rest. It is enough that some individuals from Cecil's corps felt it necessary to completely ruin the final show of a great Troopers corps and the recording of that show. I will leave my feeling of those individuals and their hostile actions to myself.

Thank you, and best of luck to all performing members for the remainder of the season, especially my beloved TROOPERS in their march toward Saturday night. If not this year, may it be soon and rightfully rewarded.

No one was "attacked". Rather, the right of a corps to enter the field of competition was defended, as was the right of a single person to hold his own space.

This incident happened right behind where I was. You can say Cecil was not "attacked", but there was enough "right of a corps to enter the field" thrust upon him to break his eyeglasses, and cut his face.

That was not the lone incident involving the corps from Casper that year. It was unfortunate that the corps had some people marching who shouldn't have been.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Well, this is certainly interesting, if true. No longer can it ever be said that what goes on OFF THE FIELD has no effect on a Corps score in competition.

Not sure why DCI would not have taken some other off the field punitive measures, ie fines, a public censorship, legal redress, etc. that would not be future score impacted.

But one has to admit, having a show performance penalized in competition in the future, is pretty startling.

I wonder what judging caption this was assessed in that future field performance ?........... " the General Effect in the Battery " ?

How many other off the field shenanagins later showed up in the judging scores later for Corps in competition ?

At least it should give one some pause, no ?

It was not assessed to any caption. DCI also would not inform the corps of the amount of the penalty until AFTER they had performed, and the four corps after them had performed. They were truly slotting the corps for Quarterfinals. I believe this is the only time this has happened. They did want to send the corps home after Preview. Mitchell and Kampshoer and the powers that be were frightened of that corps' potential that year, and did everything in their power to squash it. They were even docked at semifinals in the percussion caption, as dictated to the caption head, under the direction of the DCI management. We now know what that did, as it has taken a LONG time for the corps to come back from that.

Mitchell and Kampshoer and the powers that be were frightened of that corps' potential that year, and did everything in their power to squash it.

Not sure how they saw any such great potential in their show at that time.

On July 24th of that season the Troopers' score was just 69.90. That was the night prior to the Stillwater incident.

This incident happened right behind where I was. You can say Cecil was not "attacked", but there was enough "right of a corps to enter the field" thrust upon him to break his eyeglasses, and cut his face.

That was not the lone incident involving the corps from Casper that year. It was unfortunate that the corps had some people marching who shouldn't have been.

I was there...the entire year.

I know exactly what happened.

I had a better "view" than anyone else of the whole thing.

Do not assume you know anything....especially if you "heard" about the Troop from that year.

And the exact phrase was "hooliganism and thuggery"

The penalty was the exact amount to keep The Troopers from making FINALS that year.

DCI knew what it was doing.

It was complete B.S.

Edited by LMS

The penalty was the exact amount to keep The Troopers from making FINALS that year.

As I stated earlier, the Troopers 3.5 point penalty was assessed for the July 29th Preview of Champions in Ypsilanti, MI, NOT the DCI Championship.

The Troopers were given NO penalty at DCI. The reason they missed making finals was that they only placed in the top 12 in 3 of 8 subcaptions.

As I stated earlier, the Troopers 3.5 point penalty was assessed for the July 29th Preview of Champions in Ypsilanti, MI, NOT the DCI Championship.

The Troopers were given NO penalty at DCI. The reason they missed making finals was that they only placed in the top 12 in 3 of 8 subcaptions.

Im sure that had NOTHING to do with the final outcome either.........

How about when DCI offered The Troop money to go home, in the middle of the season, that year..............