First Official Spread Rankings of the Season

Going out on a limb here, but after seeing HNC's production, I would be absolutely shocked if it didn't result in another title for those guys and gals. The demand is in the stratosphere...and they're only beginning to really clean it and sell it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is definitely objective.

I'll try to explain.

1. get the spreads from a particular show,

2. adjust them to compensate for the previous spread of the corps that won that show.

3. adjust again to find out the overall up or down flow of all the spreads (add all the previous spreads, add all of tonight's spreads, take the difference and divide by the # of corps at the show)

4. average tonight's adjusted spread with the previous spread ranking for all the corps (this weights the current spreads more, but still takes into account past scores... this is why Colts are still ahead of Troopers)

The only difficult part is when new corps compete who don't already have a spread ranking, or when, like tonight... two groups of corps that have never shared a common opponent compete.... then you have to do some averaging and further adjusting.... but it is still all objective.

I do this ranking because I think it is the most accurate way to rank all the corps when they don't compete head to head. Plus, I just think it's fun and consider it kind of a hobby.

I'll try to explain.

2. adjust them to compensate for the previous spread of the corps that won that show.

3. adjust again to find out the overall up or down flow of all the spreads (add all the previous spreads, add all of tonight's spreads, take the difference and divide by the # of corps at the show)

4. average tonight's adjusted spread with the previous spread ranking for all the corps (this weights the current spreads more, but still takes into account past scores... this is why Colts are still ahead of Troopers)

The only difficult part is when new corps compete who don't already have a spread ranking, or when, like tonight... two groups of corps that have never shared a common opponent compete.... then you have to do some averaging and further adjusting.... but it is still all objective.

I do this ranking because I think it is the most accurate way to rank all the corps when they don't compete head to head. Plus, I just think it's fun and consider it kind of a hobby.

thanks still lost :tongue:

Of course, I'd hate to see them muck it all up by getting to into the spoken word element that they seem so fond of adding piecewise as the season progresses. Let well enough alone. Clean your show through the feet and the ombouchure, NOT the microphone!

I'll try to explain.

umm....

:tongue:

What?

And I don't get how adjusting it can make it objective. But maybe I'm missing something. In fact I know I am, because I don't get the reasoning at all.

thanks still lost :tongue:

I know it is really confusing, but I swear I am getting these numbers from somewhere. And from past experience, these tend to be a pretty good indicator of how spreads will be at least in the near future. I guess these will really be put to the test tomorrow with many corps competing for the first time head to head.

I know it is really confusing, but I swear I am getting these numbers from somewhere. And from past experience, these tend to be a pretty good indicator of how spreads will be at least in the near future. I guess these will really be put to the test tomorrow with many corps competing for the first time head to head.

NO....NO TEST....NO NEED TO TEST! Stop the madness, find your meds!! I'll help you..... look under the couch, I'll check the dog bed!

I think your method is the most logical way to estimate but how has your ranking the day before the first regional compared to the actual regional scores? I'm not questioning your method just wondering if there is ANY method that is a good projection since scores change so much even from show to show.

umm....

:tongue:

What?

And I don't get how adjusting it can make it objective. But maybe I'm missing something. In fact I know I am, because I don't get the reasoning at all.

I think what he is getting at, is you take a common corp that now everyone has competed with (cavies/bluecoats) and take how close everyone's scores were to those people when they last competed against them, and use that to rank the corps. So, for example

Cavies beat coats by 2 points, but BD beat coats by 3, therefore BD is beating cavies by a spread of 1.

At least...thats the best I can come up with.... /shrug