Corps that will pull out the firehose

The Corps in the top 5 w/ the most demand in the Cadets, but I don't see what they would gain by watering--they just need to do what they always do and clean the drill like crazy. But I noticed SCV is getting drilled by the drum judges--they usually do not over write their drum book--I'm not sure that's the problem. When I saw the Cavies in june their drum line was not clean, but I haven't seen them lately. I guess the ones w/ the most to gain from watering their book would be SCV battery percussion--like I said I don't know if it will help their score.

I don't know much about percussion, but one of the guys I went to the Murf show teaches percussion at a well known music school and I trust his opinion. His take on SCV was this: "SCV's snares are just very sloppy right now. Tenors are fairly clean with minor issues. And the bass line is top notch. There was also some minor-to-major phasing from the snares to tenors at one point of the show. Pit plays with great musicianship and balance. But the volume of amplification for the pit is a bit too loud. They have my second favorite book, yet they are lucky they aren't 9th in the caption right now. If the snares can get it clean, then good things will happen."

Paraphrasing of course.

Does "pull out the hose" mean "clean at high volume" or does it mean "water down?"

Because if ti means "to water down," I'd suggest "get out the garden hose." You don't water down with a firehose.

Funny you should mention that following Lance's mention of Phantom. It is from some old time Phantom guys that I first heard the phrase "call Tony the Fireman" to do the watering.

It is from some old time Phantom guys that I first heard the phrase "call Tony the Fireman" to do the watering.

See, that just sounds like code for "call a male pro."

I believe Tony the Fireman is on nearly every drum corps' brass staff :)